Apple's OS X beta hints at new iMacs amid rumors of lower-cost models

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2014
Code discovered in the newly released OS X 10.9.4 beta references a new iMac model, further supporting indications that Apple may debut an update to its all-in-one desktops at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference.

iMacs identified as "iMac15,1" and "iMac15,n" were found by Pike's Universum in the ".plist" files for power management in the latest OS X beta. These identifiers suggest a new generation of iMac, as the 2013 desktops were identified as "14,1," "14,2," and "14.3."

In addition, AppleInsider was first to discover earlier this week that estimated shipping times at Apple's online store for new iMac purchases had slipped to between 3 and 5 business days, down from the usual turnaround of 24 hours. Authorized Apple resellers are also seeing low inventory of current iMac models, all typically good indicators that an update is forthcoming.

The timing also lines up with claims from well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, who has indicated that Apple may be planning to launch a new low-cost iMac model in the near future. With Apple's WWDC keynote set to be held next Monday, it would seem to be an opportune time for Apple to unveil a refresh to its desktop lineup.

It's believed that Apple may be preparing a cheaper model to better compete with Windows-based all-in-one desktops from HP and Lenovo. Currently, the iMac starts at $1,299 for the 21.5-inch model with a 2.7-gigahertz processor.

Kuo's report only mentioned a more affordable iMac, and did not suggest any major changes may be coming to the rest of the lineup. Therefore, it's possible that Apple may simply update the systems with faster Intel processors, and potentially sell the machines at more affordable prices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Welcome, A8 powered iMac.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Perhaps they will come with new crappy Beats earphones as well.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Goodbye sales.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

As apposed to what many consider to be crappy Apple EarPods?

• Reply 4 of 28
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    Great. Due for a new iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    Due for a refreshed mini as well. Hope we see that as I'm ready to buy one.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Can they please bring back a VESA-mount retrofit (or integrated) option across the line!!
  • Reply 7 of 28
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Minimal upgrades to the same old design...
  • Reply 8 of 28
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member

I'd be game for an A8 iMac. I really don't need Windows compatibility too often, and I don't do much professional work...despite owning a Mac Pro. Odd, I know.

• Reply 9 of 28
    therfmantherfman Posts: 52member
    I can see a "retina" iMac, using the same panel as the Dell UP2414Q monitor.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

I'm due for an upgrade.  As much as I loved my BTO 2009 iMac, it's beginning to show its age... especially with the occasional creaky fans.  I've literally worn mine out, as it is my primary workhorse machine when I work from home.  It's been the best desktop "PC" I've ever owned.

So with that... what I'd like (and hope) to see in the next iMac upgrade...

8-core Haswell CPU,

Thunderbolt 2

Nice to have (but not necessary)

Retina display

I use my iMac to run several instances of Windows / Windows Server for testing and deployment.  My current iMac has a 16GB ram limitation which was enough at the time, but with all those VM's running, it gets short quickly.

Interesting that while I'm a die-hard Mac OSX fan, my iMac also happens to be the best Wintel machine yet.

Keeping my fingers crossed!! :)

• Reply 11 of 28
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    Goodbye sales.

As apposed to what many consider to be crappy Apple EarPods?

You don't buy Apple products for headphones. Beats are CRAP. Both design and sound.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    smallwheelssmallwheels Posts: 584member

What do you think is the smallest computer monitor for a desktop that would sell? Ten years ago 15" monitors were commonplace. The smallest one Dell sells these days is 19". 

• Reply 13 of 28
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I'd like them to tweak this latest design a little. The shape on the back is odd IMO. It needs to use more straight lines.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

Due for a refreshed mini as well. Hope we see that as I'm ready to buy one.

I've been "ready" for at least six months. What the hell could they be waiting for?

• Reply 15 of 28
    Mac Mini revisions are long overdue.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Beats are no longer crappy.  They are owned by Apple now. 

• Reply 17 of 28
    smallwheelssmallwheels Posts: 584member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Mac Mini revisions are long overdue.

In 2008 I waited six months for a new Mini. The current model was already a year old when I entered the market. Everybody on the forums kept saying that it would be any day because it had already been so long. My XP machine just flat out died and I couldn't wait for a Mini to materialize so I bought something else with newer processors than Apple was putting in their Minis. When October rolled around a new Mini became available. It wasn't impressive.

It was back then that I drew the conclusion that Apple was no longer a computer focused company but a phone focused company. Computers are second class products and still are. 

I wish Apple would split into parts. They could let all of the computer people work within their own division and only work on computers. They could become Apple Computer again. This way their sole focus would be on computers and the operating system without being tugged into the iPad and iPhone world when needed. They would only promote computer products and software and would be free to create new products that would enhance computers. They could introduce updates faster than in the past. 

It will probably never happen since the world of computing is changing so much these days. 

• Reply 18 of 28
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member

Wouldn't the first PC item for an ARM CPU be the macbook air? its the closest thing you can get to an ipad (bit like an ipad with keyboard and usb plug), then say a the mac mini given its the low cost option and the lowest option on CPU anyway.

A 4-8 socket board of A8 cpu's would be fine.

Dobby.

• Reply 19 of 28
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I'm thinking A10, probably in the Air first. 

• Reply 20 of 28
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Beats are no longer crappy.  They are owned by Apple now. 

Oh yeah; forgot about that.

YO, BEATS RULEZZZZ!!! Not.