Apple rumored to debut cheaper iMac and 8GB iPhone 5s at WWDC [update: nope]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2014
With Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference coming up next week, pundits are speculating on hardware the company may introduce in its first major media gathering of the year. One well-informed analyst believes the stars of the show will be a cheaper iMac and maybe an 8GB iPhone 5s.

iMac

In a research note obtained by AppleInsider, noted KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicts Apple will announce cheaper versions of existing hardware alongside the expected debut of iOS 8 and OS X 10.10.

Update: In his trademark style, well-connected insider Jim Dalrymple of The Loop put the kibosh on Kuo's predictions, saying "nope" to both a cheaper iMac and 8GB iPhone 5s launch at WWDC.

Specifically, Kuo believes less expensive iMac and iPhone 5s models will be unveiled when WWDC 2014 kicks off next Monday. The prediction is in line with the analyst's report from April, which claimed Apple was on track to launch a low-cost iMac in the near future.

According to Kuo, Apple will cut iMac production costs by improving panel lamination and casing yields while incorporating parts-bin components being used in the MacBook lineup.

With the new cost-saving measures, Apple's low-end all-in-one will be able to compete with PC manufacturing giants Hewlett-Packard and Lenovo. Despite a more attractive price tag that will likely boost sales, Kuo revised his 2014 iMac shipment forecast from 4.8 million units to between 4 million and 4.5 million units citing sluggish desktop sales.

Kuo's prediction comes after iMac ship-by dates slipped to 3-5 days on the Online Apple Store on Monday. Another clue that a new iMac is on the horizon was discovered on Wednesday in code from the latest OS X 10.9.4 beta, which revealed references to heretofore unknown iMac identifiers.

As for the iPhone 5s, savings will likely come from a decrease in internal storage, with Apple possibly opting to launch an 8GB version of its flagship handset like it did the iPhone 5c in burgeoning markets. The cheaper iPhone model is a wild card for WWDC, however, as Kuo notes Apple may hold off on such an announcement given the update is minor.

Aside from the iMac and possible iPhone 5s reveals, Kuo doesn't expect much more hardware-related information to be disclosed at the event. There is an outside possibility that the much-rumored iWatch may make an appearance as part of iOS 8's introduction, though chances of that happening are slim.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Haha this dude is seriously delusional. There will be no iPhone announcements at WWDC. IF Apple ever releases an 8GB 5S it will be done quietly like they did with the 5C overseas. Phil Schiller would be laughed off stage announcing a 8GB version of their flagship phone.
  • Reply 2 of 86
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    The new Apple- cheap with rap headphones
  • Reply 3 of 86
    Was hoping for a new Mac Mini - younger people probably don''t remember them - and perhaps a MacBook Pro upgrade.
  • Reply 4 of 86
    *IF* Apple releases a new iMac, it probably will not be some sort of incremental update. According to the plist file, it is going to be revision 15 of the iMac line, and since it is a new number (not a point release) it could be something bigger.

Or, it could all be a big pile of hooey.
  • Reply 5 of 86
    rogifan wrote: »
    Haha this dude is seriously delusional. There will be no iPhone announcements at WWDC. IF Apple ever releases an 8GB 5S it will be done quietly like they did with the 5C overseas. Phil Schiller would be laughed off stage announcing a 8GB version of their flagship phone.

With memory being so cheap, Apple should just announce the 16GB iPhone will be the promotional iPhone and the 32GB iPhone will be the normally offered iPhone.

Normal app hogs like me just can't get by with 16GB these days.
  • Reply 6 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

With memory being so cheap, Apple should just announce the 16GB iPhone will be the promotional iPhone and the 32GB iPhone will be the normally offered iPhone.

I would imagine the margins / mark-up is different for each component. They may be marking up the flash storage more than other components because it is a differentiator, possibly up to 500% more. What if they actually priced the 8GB model way below the 16GB assuming the 16GB is already inflated, making it much more expensive than the actual 8GB difference would indicate? That might be another way to down-market the iPhone into an economy class.

• Reply 7 of 86
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    A less expensive iMac? Seems unlikely. Everyone knows when Apple improves the iMac they make it thinner and the external ports more inconvenient to access. Making a cheaper iMac seems very un-Apple.

-kpluck
  • Reply 8 of 86
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Kuo has jumped the shark.

• Reply 9 of 86
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

The iMacs are $1299 and $1799 for the 21.5 and 27" models.  Expected new prices (by me): $1199 and $1699 (yup. -$100).

What would be nice would be $999 and $1499, but if Apple did that, they'd probably ship with 2GB ram and 500GB HDDs.

• Reply 10 of 86
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

So, is there anything left that Apple "might" do? I think these analysts have covered every fucking permutation of every possibility, with the exception of Apple opening a grocery store chain or something. 

• Reply 11 of 86
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

The new Apple- cheap with rap headphones

Don't you get fucking tired of your own trolling? 

Also I'm sick and tired of your signature. You think you're the only one on the planet that's noticed there's no new Apple TV yet? What a special unique snowflake you are. 

• Reply 12 of 86
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Don't you get fucking tired of your own trolling? 
    Also I'm sick and tired of your signature. You think you're the only one on the planet that's noticed there's no new Apple TV yet? What a special unique snowflake you are. 

It's easy enough to block them. Nice to get rid of the useless clutter on these boards.
  • Reply 13 of 86
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As for the iPhone 5s, savings will likely come from a decrease in internal storage, with Apple possibly opting to launch an 8GB version of its flagship handset like it did the iPhone 5c in burgeoning markets. The cheaper iPhone model is a wild card for WWDC, however, as Kuo notes Apple may hold off on such an announcement given the update is minor.

Trying to manage media on an 8 GB iPhone would be my definition of hell.

Given the 2x (and now potentially 3x) graphics assets bundled into every app anything under 32 GB quickly becomes unusable for all the reasons you might actually need to purchase a smartphone. Considering the markup on flash memory this comes across as a cynical move.

Instead of pushing a subpar experience onto new users I'd really love to see Apple focus on getting the cost of the higher end models down. I'm sure they have years of experience and there are some strong reasons for their pricing strategy. But from the consumer side it's a real pain. I've personally skipped two generations for both iPhone and iPad now primarily over local pricing.

• Reply 14 of 86
    slurpy wrote: »
    So, is there anything left that Apple "might" do? I think these analysts have covered every fucking permutation of every possibility, with the exception of Apple opening a grocery store chain or something. 

Don't knock it: This website serves a very important role in promoting noted analyst Ming-chi Kuo's "notes".
  • Reply 15 of 86
    I'd like to throw some wild speculation out there- because well that's what the internet is for anyways. What if the one new iMac model was actually the sometimes-rumored 4k high end model? Let's say it has a fancy aluminium* mechanical stand that allows it to stand like a normal iMac, or go completely flat for some multi-touch madness! I'd imagine everyone and their brother would want it to run iOS apps, maybe arrayed about on the 27" display as the user desires... but knowing Apple they'd make developers code full on Mac apps that utilize the full hardware awesomeness of a desktop chip plus a decent video card. I can see them showing off a fancy new version of GarageBand and other "iLife" applications so as to show how it's done.

Also, I agree with whoever said they'd probably just double the iPhone storage across the board and keep prices the same.

Both of these completely baseless predictions (hopes really) spring from the memory of iPhone 5c rumors, and how everyone decided that Apple would finally make a cheaper iPhone... and then what actually came out (that in fact sold like crazy).

In closing... I shall demand adulation adamantly from the users of the web should either of these fanciful theories come to be.

-RD42

*Sir Ives must have his extra i, it's whence the power flows.
  • Reply 16 of 86
    rogifan wrote: »

I don't see what the purpose of an 8G iPhone would be? To sell more phones? If 16G is the lowest tier now, and the cost difference between just the storage is mere pennies or perhaps a dollar, where does that leave them in regard to price movement before cutting margins?

They'll do what they want I'm sure, but I just keep thinking of their own words when I try to understand the logic... "Is there a reason for it to exist?"

Why cripple a phone so much if you're supposedly trying to give your customers the best possible experience? It's not like you can just pop in more storage. They made sure you can't.
  • Reply 17 of 86

It's getting kind of comical all the predictions for WWDC.

Here's my wild look into the crystal ball:  Apple will announce new software at their World Wide Developer's Conference since the attendees like to write....well, software. I know it's going out on a limb, but it's what I see happening.

• Reply 18 of 86
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member
    Why would Apple do an iPhone 5S with only 8GB of memory? That make it have only about 4GB for everything else. If Apple includes an micro SD card then it makes a lot of sense but without that; it kind of worthless device.
  • Reply 19 of 86
    muaddibmuaddib Posts: 81member
    I want Apple to put TouchID on their keyboards. Hopefully they will announce this for Mac OS X 10.10 at WWDC.
  • Reply 20 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

Why would Apple do an iPhone 5S with only 8GB of memory?

Obviously it’s a new low-end device.

That make it have only about 4GB for everything else.

iOS doesn’t use anywhere near 4 gigabytes. Stop the FUD.

If Apple includes an micro SD card…

It’s an iPhone. Seven years down the line. Are you SERIOUSLY still doing this?