Apple has best product pipeline in 25 years coming in 2014, says SVP Eddy Cue

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2014
At the Code Conference on Wednesday, iTunes chief Eddy Cue said Apple's upcoming product lineup for 2014 is the best he's seen in 25 years of working for the company.

Apple SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue at the 2014 Code Conference. | Source: Re/code

Without giving away any details, Cue told Re/code's Walt Mossberg that Apple's product pipeline for the remainder of 2014 is primed to be one of the best on record. Apple has yet to release a substantial refresh to any of its existing product lines this year, let alone something ground-breaking.

"Later this year, we've got the best product pipeline that I've seen in my 25 years at Apple," Cue said.

Expectedly, the Apple executive was tight-lipped and gave no hints as to what the company has in store for its customers. Mossberg, perhaps rightfully skeptical of Cue's statement, asked how the pipeline could be better than Apple's recent product hits, including the iPhone, iPad, MacBook and iMac, among others.

"I believe the products we've got coming are great," Cue replied.

In an amusing aside, Beats co-founder Jimmy Iovine, who was also onstage to talk about Apple's recent acquisition of his company, pointed out he was excited to finally get access to Apple's secret projects after years of visiting Cupertino.

"I get to see it tomorrow," Iovine said. "When I go there they put tarps on everything. I'm not kidding."

The public may catch its first glimpse of the touted pipeline at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference that kicks off next Monday. One well-connected analyst predicts Apple will launch a cheaper iMac and 8GB iPhone 5s at WWDC 2014, with an outside chance that the company's expected iOS 8 presentation may offer clues to the much rumored iWatch.

With 2014 nearly half over, however, Apple will need to roll out a slew of amazing devices in the next six months to meet the expectations Cue set today.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 123
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Oh no, what about 2015?! /s

• Reply 2 of 123
    drfwdrfw Posts: 13member
    You didn't hear? In 2015 Apple goes out of business ;-)
  • Reply 3 of 123

What's he supposed to say? "We've got sh*t products in the pipeline for 2014?

• Reply 4 of 123
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Very shortly this might say "former" iTunes Chief, Eddy Cue.

• Reply 5 of 123
    technarchytechnarchy Posts: 296member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Pretty much. I wouldn't expect him to say anything else, but at the same time I am skeptical about anything earth shattering happening.

Would be nice if it was true however. Apple stacking Q3 and Q4 leaves a pretty big drought for about 10 to 11 months so any news would be interesting at this point.

• Reply 6 of 123
    Great - once Dre and Jimmy see the new products tomorrow at Apple we'll know about them shortly through Dre's buddies' twitter feeds. Excited.
  • Reply 7 of 123
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Very shortly this might say "former" iTunes Chief, Eddy Cue.
    why do you say that?
  • Reply 8 of 123
    chudqchudq Posts: 43member
    Yes. The best products but not cheap ones.
  • Reply 9 of 123
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

why do you say that?

What job do you think Cook will give to Iovine?

Making music deals? Isn't that one of Cue's jobs?

Running iTunes? Isn't that one of Cue's jobs?

I think that there will be some head butting in the iTunes department... and $3 billion tells me that Eddie isn't going to win.

jmho

• Reply 10 of 123
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,848member

Mesa, Arizona and GTAT didn't just happen for the sunshine, whatever Apple has in the product pipeline will be very interesting.

• Reply 11 of 123
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member

Well all I can say that is if Cook, Ives, and Cue are making this statement there must be something to it.

• Reply 12 of 123
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I think that there will be some head butting in the iTunes department... and $3 billion tells me that Eddie isn't going to win.

jmho

I doubt your prognosis. Apple broadening its base and bringing more talent on board to do so. It's not an "or" gate, it's an "and" gate.

• Reply 13 of 123
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Coming soon: iwatch by Beats and iTV by Beats.
  • Reply 14 of 123
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

jmho

Eddie is the boss. He isn't going anywhere. If anything, Eddie would delegate some responsibilities while he concentrates on higher priority items.
  • Reply 15 of 123

Hope Apple knows that CY 2014 only has 12 months. They should know better than to specify dates (in this case, CY 2014) for product delivery, as people will expect those products to be delivered during that frame of time.

• Reply 16 of 123
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

jmho

Cue's position is SVP of Software & Services.  iTunes is only one product he's in charge of.

• Reply 17 of 123
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Sounds good but I hope there's something in there for us computer nerds, and not just a new pair of headphones and a ladies' wristwatch.

• Reply 18 of 123
    What if Apple is using Beats to go after the coveted low/mid-tier market.

Apple may have effectively just spent $3B on one of the best lead pools around.

I imagine that there are many beats customers out there who are willing to spend $$$ on headphones but Apple hasn't yet been successful in converting them to iPhone. This Apple-Beats deal should help convince them that iPhones are worth $$$ as well.
  • Reply 19 of 123
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

How about just "We've got some great products coming up this year"?

Saying that it's the best product pipeline in 25 years? Wow, that is one hell of a bold statement to be making, and it sets the expectations sky high.

I'm still a little puzzled and disappointed by the whole Beats deal, which is why I haven't really bothered to comment on it since it became official, but this might just cancel my bad feelings for that out, if what he claims is actually true.

Like many people here have probably been doing, I've been watching Apple keynotes for years and years, and I am now fully expecting to be completely blown away by some amazing Apple products whenever they are announced sometime this year. Anything less than me being completely blown away would now be a disappointment to me, because I am of course expecting the best product pipeline in 25 years to be shown. Apple really has to deliver now.

• Reply 20 of 123
    eric38eric38 Posts: 100member
    bushman4 wrote: »
    Well all I can say that is if Cook, Ives, and Cue are making this statement there must be something to it.

I agree. They just don't say that and release a phone that's an inch bigger. They're gonna unveil some great products and services this year. Great time to be a stockholder.