Apple's rumored smart home platform may not live up to hype, report says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I suspect this is accurate. It's a dev conference so there isn't necessarily any reason to unveil new hardware unless they want devs to get to work creating for new sizes/devices.

I think HW has been announced at every WWDC.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    That's why I hope they're wrong as I think a lot of people will be disappointed if there is no hardware announced. The CNET reporter seemed like she was speculating more than having inside information.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    rogifan wrote: »
    That's why I hope they're wrong as I think a lot of people will be disappointed if there is no hardware announced. The CNET reporter seemed like she was speculating more than having inside information.

I don't know how she worded it but if stated it an opinion that was backed up with some sort of reasoning or something she was told, and not as an unverifiable fact I'm fine with it. Unfortunately that doesn't happen as much as I'd like it to.

I did the run down for many years about a month ago but I forget the results. This was my source…
  • Reply 24 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You may be right. I don't have a chart on that information.

• Reply 25 of 53
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Of course it won't live up to the hype! That's why most of these rumours are started, to make WWDC a let-down. Just like a well-timed iCloud security scare can take the shine off new product announcements.

Now, who really starts them I wonder.
  • Reply 26 of 53

Apple, just update the Mac Mini and I'll turn my own damn lights off. 

• Reply 27 of 53
    leavingthebiggleavingthebigg Posts: 1,291member

AppleInsider offered a peek at what a full-fledged Apple smart home platform could look like, but it appears Gigaom's sources have poured cold water on the potential of seeing many of those enticing features roll out.

So AppleInsider takes the time to speculate what a full-fledged Apple smart home platform could look like and another publication decides to discard AppleInsider's speculation and AppleInsider chooses to discard its own speculation instead of standing by it. Way to go AppleInsider! Way to go!! Is it time for this Web site to just go away?

• Reply 28 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    AppleInsider offered a peek at what a full-fledged Apple smart home platform could look like, but it appears Gigaom's sources have poured cold water on the potential of seeing many of those enticing features roll out.

So AppleInsider takes the time to speculate what a full-fledged Apple smart home platform could look like and another publication decides to discard AppleInsider's speculation and AppleInsider chooses to discard its own speculation instead of standing by it. Way to go AppleInsider! Way to go!! Is it time for this Web site to just go away?

I posted a comment in that thread about how ridiculous and detrimental it is to speculate so much based in so little info. Looks like I'm probably right.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Isn't "hype" something generated by the seller? Apple hasn't even announced it let alone hyped it. You're conflating rumors with hype. Apple isn't responsible for rumors.

The New Oxford American Dictionary (Third Edition) seems to jibe with your definition of hype. It defines it as "extravagant publicity or promotion." That some party is doing the publicity or promotion is implied, but the identify of said party is not part of the definition. However, we can imply that "hype" is created by anyone who aggressively publicizes or promotes the rumor, and that someone isn't Apple. Maybe it's AppleInsider?

• Reply 30 of 53
    sambirasambira Posts: 90member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

"While disappointing".... says who?

I believe they mean, the rumor of the content of the rumor "while disappointing".   What I find funny is the ""Made for iPhone" certification program" for a smart home solution.  Why would a smart home solution only be a result of something "Made for iPhone"?  I think the rumor of the rumor of the rumor is that the smart home solution is the "internet of everything" solution that everyone is looking for.

See, I too can create a rumor of a rumor.  

• Reply 31 of 53
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

Since I know no one knows what Apple has to announce yet, all this talk of not being what was expected is just that. FUD!

Writers should not write FUD when they have no facts to back it up with. Everyone should know by now that no one has access to unreleased products from Apple. So claiming that an unannounced product isn't good enough is FUD. Baseless, clueless, writing with no facts or means to know anything about it period. Let's just wait until Monday and let Tim Cook and company tell us what the real things they have in store for us.

• Reply 32 of 53
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    And how this person knows? He hasn't seen it in person.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    bocboc Posts: 72member
    One thing I know for sure is Apple is not going to make crap products.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I suspect this is accurate. It's a dev conference so there isn't necessarily any reason to unveil new hardware unless they want devs to get to work creating for new sizes/devices.

Yeah but every year some tech site says no hardware will be announced and then someone on AI always says "Makes sense, it's a DEV conference." I think we should officially name this cycle.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member

I think Kasper's Automated Slave must have failed its memory integrity check and is executing a code segment that is normally invoked for generating National Enquirer or The Onion articles.

I'd have no problem if this story was labeled properly and accurately, more like: "Apple may not actually be doing anything remotely close to a totally baseless rumor that we just pulled out of our ass." 

"More news and preemptive speculation of pending disappointment at 11...."

• Reply 36 of 53
    wovel wrote: »
    Yeah but every year some tech site says no hardware will be announced and then someone on AI always says "Makes sense, it's a DEV conference." I think we should officially name this cycle.

"The Dev Null Cycle"?
  • Reply 37 of 53
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

… It is possible that Apple may one day introduce universal control to the as-yet-unannounced platform, but the system debuting at WWDC next week will not include that advanced functionality.

Is Woz is back! Isn't the universal remote his dream project? ;)

• Reply 38 of 53
    "The Dev Null Cycle"?

GoToFail, Rinse, Repeat?
  • Reply 39 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member

WWDC has been used as a platform for new products & product updates about half the time in the last 15 years.

Based on information SolipsismX dug up:

2013: New Mac Pro, new Time Capsule, new Airport Extreme
    2012: Retina MBP, updated Air
    2010: iPhone 4
    2009: “the new 13" MacBook Pro, updates to the 15" and 17" MacBook Pros, and the new iPhone 3GS.”
    2008: iPhone 3G
    2006: original Mac Pro, and Xserve
    2005: (announced Intel transition)
    2003: first G5 PowerMac and external FW iSight camera
  • Reply 40 of 53
    jeffdm wrote: »
    WWDC has been used as a platform for new products & product updates about half the time in the last 15 years.

Based on information SolipsismX dug up:

2013: New Mac Pro, new Time Capsule, new Airport Extreme
    2012: Retina MBP, updated Air
    2010: iPhone 4
    2009: “the new 13" MacBook Pro, updates to the 15" and 17" MacBook Pros, and the new iPhone 3GS.”
    2008: iPhone 3G
    2006: original Mac Pro, and Xserve
    2005: (announced Intel transition)
    2003: first G5 PowerMac and external FW iSight camera

Thanks for collating that information.