iOS 8 banners grace Moscone Center as Apple's WWDC preparations continue

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
Apple looks set to continue the OS X Mavericks surf motif in iOS 8, as banners for the company's next-generation mobile operating system have started to appear at San Francisco's Moscone Center with an aquatic background.

The banner features a simple, white "8" overlaid on a backdrop of turgid blue water. Business Insider's Jay Yarow was first to tweet a photo of the banner.

Industry insiders and Apple watchers widely believe the company will include a number of new health-focused features in iOS 8, including a new "Healthbook" app that would act as a central repository for health and fitness data collected from third-party products such as Nike's FuelBand. Shazam-powered song recognition in Siri and public transit support in Maps are also thought to be on the docket.

The presence of the banner seems to confirm that Apple will indeed unveil iOS 8 during next week's Worldwide Developers Conference. AppleInsider will be on hand with live coverage when Apple chief Tim Cook takes the stage on Monday at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern and will continue our reporting from the conference throughout the week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

"You back off and take your camera with you"

They will finally announce their highly anticipated Carplay spin-off, "Boatplay". My wallet is ready!

• Reply 2 of 88
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    "The presence of the banner seems to confirm that Apple will indeed unveil iOS 8 during next week's Worldwide Developers Conference."

-Was this really something that anyone was unsure about?
  • Reply 3 of 88
    technotechno Posts: 737member

I wonder if the 8 will be presented on it's side when installed on older phones. Math nerds will get it.

• Reply 4 of 88
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Nice of Louis CK to help out with the banner.
  • Reply 5 of 88
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    Maybe it just means there are 8 new features in the new OS. Or it's an iPhone with an 8 inch screen! Or a tip-off for Samsung! Hey guys, turgid is the new style!
  • Reply 6 of 88
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Probably the aquatic theme means that Apple has learned the error of its ways with flatness and is changing OS X and iOS to aqua style UI.
  • Reply 7 of 88
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    While one can use "turgid" in this sense, it's not exactly a pretty word.
  • Reply 8 of 88
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    So iOS 8 as well as OS X 10.10. It seems they are maintaining the aggressive pace of 1 OS update a year. Quite impressive actually. Leaves Microsoft in the dust.
  • Reply 9 of 88
    Quote:

The banner features a simple, white "8" overlaid on a backdrop of turgid blue water. 

Turgid?

edit: Okay, WelshDog beat me by a few seconds in noting this strange usage.  :)

• Reply 10 of 88
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Probably the aquatic theme means that Apple has learned the error of its ways with flatness and is changing OS X and iOS to aqua style UI.
    Nah. Last year OSX banner had a white X with a blue-green wave background. My guess is this year the OSX banner will be the opposite of iOS as it's getting a redesign.
  • Reply 11 of 88
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    It's not an "8" but the outlines of two new Mac Minis!
  • Reply 12 of 88
    trubadortrubador Posts: 80member
    I'm curious if the Mac OS 10.10 will be Xx (with the x superscripted like X to the power of x)?
  • Reply 13 of 88
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,485member

After many people last year thought they could make their iPhone waterproof by upgrading to iOS 7, Apple finally gives them what they want and makes iOS 8 waterproof.

• Reply 14 of 88
    trubadortrubador Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

It's not an "8" but the outlines of two new Mac Minis!

One could dream… (yep… still waiting to hand over my cash for the Haswell MacMini) *sigh*

• Reply 15 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

lol.  trying to imagine iOS looking like Panther

• Reply 16 of 88
    1401474592-8-.jpg
  • Reply 17 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trubador View Post

I'm curious if the Mac OS 10.10 will be Xx (with the x superscripted like X to the power of x)?

It Can't be X.x it would be X.I because you don't add a 0 after the decim..... :p 

• Reply 18 of 88
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    "I wonder if the 8 will be presented on it's side when installed on older phones. Math nerds will get it."

It's the infinity release! Guess I'm a nerd.
  • Reply 19 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

Guess I'm a nerd.

Anyone on this forum claiming otherwise is simply lying to themselves

• Reply 20 of 88
    10eot41.jpg

140hvfk.jpg

2nb99oo.jpg

acs741.jpg