Gazelle paying an additional $20 cash bonus on all iPhone 4, iPhone 4S trade-ins thru June 6th

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
In an effort to increase its supply of certain iPhone models during the month of June, electronics buy-back service Gazelle is offering to pay an additional $20 on all working iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s trade-ins for the next 7 days.

Trade in your iPhone 4 for extra cash

$20 Bonus for 1 week only

To take advantage of the offer, which is exclusive to AppleInisder readers, simply use this link (or any of the pricing links in our Trade-In Price Guide) to active the $20 cash bonus before locking in a trade-in price quote online. The offer is only valid on working iPhone 4 and 4s models and expires on Friday, June 6th.

For those new to the trade-in process, Gazelle is a service that pays cash to customers who trade-in their old tablets, phones or computers by mail. It -- along with similar services listed in our Price Guides -- have seen a tremendous jump in popularity over the past two years as consumers have seized the opportunity quickly turn their outdated devices into cash to help offset the cost of upgrading to the latest Apple & Android hardware.

For example, a Hanover Research study completed in February 2014 found that 36 percent of Americans have now traded-in at least one smartphone online. That's up from a 23 percent penetration rate reported by a Gazelle study in June 2013, which was similarly up from just 6 percent in May 2012.

For its part, Gartner Research expects the U.S. electronics buy-back (or "reCommerce") market for high-end consumer electronics to reach $14 billion by 2017, as more and more consumers warm up to the concept.

How it works

In the case of the iPhone 4 and 4s, consumers who act now to lock in a trade-in offer on a functioning 32-gigabyte AT&T iPhone 4S will get a check for at least $120 cash, plus an additional $20 cash, for a total of $140 to help offset the purchase of a new phone (such as an iPhone 5s). A $32GB iPhone 4 in the same condition would pay out $90.

Customers have a 30-day grace period from when they first lock in a price for their old gadgets to when their devices need to be in Gazelle's hands. To begin the process, you select your existing device from the company's website and quickly assess its condition -- broken, good, or flawless.

Gazelle Trade-in Boxes

Within days, a pre-paid shipping box will show up on your doorstep. You place your old device in the box and send it off to Gazelle. (Alternatively, you can choose to use your own box and simply print a pre-paid shipping label.)

Once your device is received, Gazelle will issue a check within 10 business days for the value of your device. You can also choose to be paid more quickly via PayPal, get an extra 5 percent by selection

Current iPhone payouts

Below (click here if on iOS) is the relevant section of our Trade-In Price Guide for iPhones. The prices in the table are Gazelle's current payouts, before adding in the $20 bonus on iPhone 4 and 4S models, and before adding the quick and easy unlock bonus (another $30-$40). Using the links in this table will active the $20 bonus and provide instructions for the unlock bonus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Be sure to compare cash offerings from cash4iphones.com and amazon.com (exchange i-devices for amazon gift cards). Amazon offers more (with no over-the-phone harassment) for like-new items. You should also receive a little more for devices that are unlocked.

• Reply 2 of 13
    mutoneonmutoneon Posts: 51member
    Gazelle - for people who own a smartphone and yet somehow have never heard of Amazon
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

Hey, some people don't use Amazon. Deliberately.

Gazelle and similar services are reasonable options for those individuals.

Generally speaking, competition is good in a free market economy. If Amazon were the only store to accept used iPhone trade-ins, the prices would probably be considerably depressed.

Thought you should know...

Amazon's payouts are generally slightly than Gazelle, but they don't offer cash. They want you to spend your earnings in their store. Cash is still king in many situations for many people. Plus, Gazelle offers PayPal transfers with a bonus.

• Reply 4 of 13
    nhajnhaj Posts: 7member
    I don't like the idea of selling it back to Gazelle before checking all the options. I would rather sell it to the company that will offer me the most for it. There a dozen of buy back companies that will pay more than Gazelle.

There's even a Kayak like site but for Apple Devices that show you all the offers in one spot.

I've used it before and loved it. I highly suggest it to other Apple lovers, it's called www.recomhub.com
  • Reply 5 of 13

People can also check out RecomHub, I found it on google, it compares all the buyback companies prices for your certain Apple devices so you can quickly select the highest offer. They also offer the prices for selling on Craigslist or eBay. It's cool and easy to use 

• Reply 6 of 13
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by mutoneon View Post

Gazelle - for people who own a smartphone and yet somehow have never heard of Amazon

Or eBay.

• Reply 7 of 13
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

I used Gazelle awhile back to get rid of an iPhone 4. The entire process was very smooth and easy. That being said, this is an advertisement and should be labeled as such. Enclosing it an "exclusive offer" wrapper doesn't really change that fact.

-kpluck

• Reply 8 of 13
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Or eBay.

I don't know why anyone would use any site other than eBay to sell a phone. You make way more money versus trade in. 

• Reply 9 of 13
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

Some people don't like the hassle of auction sites, dealing with an individual buyer, payment dispute resolution, transaction time.

And some people simply loathe eBay.

Getting top dollar isn't everyone's top priority. There are many factors in pretty much every decision one makes, whether it be what to eat for breakfast, what shoes to wear, what car to drive, what to watch on TV, what to do this weekend. It's not always about a fast way to make a bunch of money.

It's not about you. It's about providing a variety of options that fits various people's lifestyles.

If you made $200K a year and wanted to get something back from your phone, why would you bother wasting a couple of hours over a week-long period diddling with an auction site to sell one measly handset to extract an extra hundred bucks. Some people find that stuff a poor allocation of their time.

Heck, some rich people who could afford to dine out at white tablecloth fine dining restaurants every meal of their lives actually like to cook. With stuff they've grown from their own garden. 

I've done some private party sales myself on Craigslist, but the items were always worth at least a couple thousand dollars. I'm not spending my time selling piece of furniture that will likely go for less than $100, a pair of jeans, or a battery-powered portable CD player.

It sounds like you need to get out more and realize that not everyone wants to do everything exactly like you.

• Reply 10 of 13
    mpantone is clearly a paid employee of gazelle.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

If you made $200K a year and wanted to get something back from your phone, why would you bother wasting a couple of hours over a week-long period diddling with an auction site to sell one measly handset to extract an extra hundred bucks. Some people find that stuff a poor allocation of their time.

If you made $200K a year, why would you even need to get something back for your phone.

I suspect anyone making that kind of money would simply give it away to a friend/family.

Recouping $50 is not going to mean a heck of a lot to this individual.

• Reply 12 of 13
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    I don't know why anyone would use any site other than eBay to sell a phone. You make way more money versus trade in. 

With eBay and PayPal fees, not to mention the hassle of setting up the sale, making their are a verified account, and having to deal with shipping I find other options much more convenient.

Now that Apple has a trade-in program I'd rather just have them do it all at the store which saves me both time and having to orchestrate my iPhone sale with the purchase of a new one with no immediate value exchange. To me that convenience is worth Apple not paying me as much as Gazelle, eBay, Craig's List, or Amazon.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

If you made $200K a year, why would you even need to get something back for your phone.

I suspect anyone making that kind of money would simply give it away to a friend/family.

Recouping $50 is not going to mean a heck of a lot to this individual.

$50 is still $50 even for an individual making $200K, especially if the process is such that it is of minimal effort and best use of one's time to receive the money, which is precisely what Gazelle does.  Why does it bother you such?

I'll tell you that if I could make $100 by doing nothing more than putting my old phone in a box, and at my leisure, walk to a mailbox on the way to work and be done with it, I'll certainly do it.  I make over $100K+/yr and I'll tell you that even if I were to get $150 if I were to sell privately, just the extra time involved/wasted to meet the buyer, deal with the headaches of the sale, etc... it's just not worth my time.  We're all different.  If the value of your time allows you to deal with a private sale a bit more, by all means it works for you.

I stopped selling on EBay years ago.  Just got tired of dealing with legit/scam buyers.  I was selling the occasional "old" Macbook laptop on Craigslist, but due to the extra $$ involved I made the effort yet considering the hours spent going through emails, contacting interested buyers, coordinating a meeting time, then taking time out of my schedule to make the sale... it was more break-even than anything.

Looking at Gazelle's website, I didn't realize they do Macs also.  I may consider that simply because... again... it's a better use of my time, maybe not yours, but mine for sure.

A guy making $200K will certainly do anything for a quick buck so long as there's almost no effort in doing it.  Gazelle knows that.