Possible OS X 10.10 names discovered in trademark filings, continue with California theme

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Geez, "El Capitan" for OS X and water for iOS 8... Tomorrow Munster will tell us that Apple's new hardware will be yachts, and Kuo will make a case for budget yachts to cater to developing markets.

Water?

Uh oh: then given the California drought, the ever popular "supply constraints" will rear it's ugly head tanking the stock!

• Reply 22 of 77
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Is nothing sacred?
  • Reply 23 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    robogobo wrote: »
    Is nothing sacred?

Universally? No.
  • Reply 24 of 77
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

Is nothing sacred?

Every sperm is sacred, but I believe it was Monty Python who claimed that, so the legitimacy is questionable at best.

But SolipsismX is on the right track.

• Reply 25 of 77
    mpantone wrote: »
    Every sperm is sacred...

If every sperm is sacred does that make socks a shrine?
  • Reply 26 of 77
    tdknoxtdknox Posts: 82member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

There is a California town called Weed, mentioned in John Steinbeck's classic "Of Mice and Men" as the place the two protagonists were fleeing from.

Of course, weed has picked up some other colloquial meanings along the way.

OS X Weed. Could be quite inspirational, if not particularly motivating. ;) :smokey: :D 

I've been to Weed, CA. The beautiful silhouette of Mt. Shasta in the background is quite inspirational, but there is nothing else about the city that's the least bit motivating.

• Reply 27 of 77
    tdknoxtdknox Posts: 82member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdknox View Post

I've been to Weed, CA. The beautiful silhouette of Mt. Shasta in the background is quite inspirational, but there is nothing else about the city that's the least bit motivating.

Here's a photo of Mt. Shasta that I took from Weed. http://macdesktops.com/index.phtml?Picture=3367&res=TRUE

• Reply 28 of 77
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    OS XI Cupertino
  • Reply 29 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Bathroom near Curry Village where I banged my GF

It was worth clicking into this thread just for that.

• Reply 30 of 77
    fraculefracule Posts: 1member
    It is worth noting that it is Yosemite's 150th Anniversary this year.
    It was also one of Steve and Lorraine Job's favorite getaway spots. I believe they were married there.
  • Reply 31 of 77
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

OS XI Cupertino

Clearly, you have never been to Cupertino if you think the place is inspirational.

:D 

• Reply 32 of 77
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Just asking...

I presume Apple could not trademark "Yosemite?

But it is ok to trademark "OS X Yosemite"?

• Reply 33 of 77
    boeyc15 wrote: »

Just asking...
    I presume Apple could not trademark "Yosemite?
    But it is ok to trademark "OS X Yosemite"?

If this is accurate it doesn't look like they've only been trademarking Mac, OS X, and Mac OS X, not any of their code/marketing names.
  • Reply 34 of 77
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Geez, "El Capitan" for OS X and water for iOS 8... Tomorrow Munster will tell us that Apple's new hardware will be yachts, and Kuo will make a case for budget yachts to cater to developing markets.

I like OS X El Capitan

iOS will support YachtPlay

• Reply 35 of 77
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    El Capitan is consistent with Mavericks in that is is a California place of interest that is a challenge for thrill-seeking sportsmen and women.
  • Reply 36 of 77
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Sequoia is what I was rooting for. Failing that, Big Sur.

That's presuming that 10.10 doesn't become 11, so as not to cause confusion with 10.1 (Puma). ????????
  • Reply 37 of 77
    Most of those are automotive names as well... you'd think they'd go for something new. The problem with Yosemite is people say it "Yos-might" if they don't know the work.

Must be hard to come up with a global name that hasn't been used 100 times. Are they going with landmarks? Surfing hangouts? I would think national parks might have restrictions on using their names as well...
  • Reply 38 of 77
    OS XXX DREad
  • Reply 39 of 77
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    If this is accurate it doesn't look like they've only been trademarking Mac, OS X, and Mac OS X, not any of their code/marketing names.

Thanks! Interesting and they do have cities in there for fonts. Shhhh... Before some wise cracking lawyer gets an unoriginal idea to sue. :). Or perhaps they got a special agreement like they did for that Swiss train clock. That said, IMO it would be nice if Apple would promote these locations with say a dollar sent in the name of some fund representing these areas like the Yosemite conservatory fund for every Mac sold. Granted, the free advertising is worth a bundle too.
  • Reply 40 of 77
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    solipsismx wrote: »

Thanks! Interesting and they do have cities in there for fonts. Shhhh... Before some wise cracking lawyer gets an unoriginal idea to sue. :). Or perhaps they got a special agreement like they did for that Swiss train clock. That said, IMO it would be nice if Apple would promote these locations with say a dollar sent in the name of some fund representing these areas like the Yosemite conservatory fund for every Mac sold.

How do you pronoune Yosemite? I presume it's Yo! sa might.