Ahead of iOS 8 announcement iOS 7 adoption nears 90% for iPhone, 85% for iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
With three days to go until Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference kicks off, one research firm found iOS 7 adoption rose to new levels in the U.S. and Canada as with iPhone and iPad users continue to upgrade ahead of an expected iOS 8 announcement.

According to the latest statistics from ad network Chitika's analytics arm Chitika Insights, 89.7 percent of iPhone Web traffic in North America is being generated by handsets running some version of iOS 7. For iPads, the number is a bit lower at 84.8 percent of the whole, but the tablet-owning audience exhibited more growth over the past three months.

Compared to the firm's last study in February, 83.3 percent of iPhone owners were running iOS 7, meaning that number rose 5.4 points over the past quarter ending in May. Apple iPad users moved from 78.5 percent to 84.8 percent during the same period, representing a 6.3 percent increase.

Chitika notes that the lead up to last year's WWDC saw iOS 6 on 92.7 percent of iPhones and 82.9 percent for iPad. The uptick in iPad version distribution may be attributed to the comparative strength of Apple's latest tablet releases versus the iPhone. For example, the latest iPads launched in October with the newly-designed iPad Air and highly-anticipated iPad mini with Retina display. Another factor could be accelerated handset proliferation following the introduction of the mid-tier iPhone 5c.

Friday's study analyzed tens of millions of U.S. and Canadian online ad impressions from iPhones and iPads generated over the period between May 22 and May 28.

Apple's is expected to announce the next-generation iOS 8 at WWDC 2014 on Monday. Banners for the upcoming mobile operating system are already going up at San Francisco's Moscone Center, where WWDC will be held from June 2 through June 6.

AppleInsider will be providing live coverage of Apple CEO Tim Cook's keynote on Monday at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern and will continue reporting from the conference throughout the week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    There are still iPads running iOS 4? iOS 5 I can understand since that's the limit for the original model, but why stick with 4?
  • Reply 2 of 44
    wolfhow1wolfhow1 Posts: 10member
    The math is off on the iPhone. 83.3 5.4= 88.7. So it appears it increased by 6.4%
  • Reply 3 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Outstanding adoption rate (if accurate...and I don't trust this company to have completely accurate numbers).
  • Reply 4 of 44
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

There are still iPads running iOS 4? iOS 5 I can understand since that's the limit for the original model, but why stick with 4?

Some old people are wary of changing anything. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I gave my original iPad to a very senior citizen and I can pretty much guarantee she won't go anywhere near the settings app, although she always tells me how much she likes using the iPad.

• Reply 5 of 44
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Still avoiding 7...
  • Reply 6 of 44
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    dysamoria wrote: »
    Still avoiding 7...

I had no choice. Apple broke FaceTime compatibility between iOS 7 and 6. So if I wanted to use FaceTime , I was forced to upgrade. No wonder Apple can claim such high numbers.

I really don't like iOS 7, nor do I use many of the new features now, though I'm sure I love the improvements under the hood.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    It would be nice to search emails with keywords in iOS.
    And see browsing history in Safari in iOS.
    Is that too much to ask for?
  • Reply 8 of 44
    rgh71rgh71 Posts: 125member

I am saving my old iPhone w old iOS to reminisce in 30 yesrs
  • Reply 9 of 44
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Saying something about features you want is not really the best place to post.  

Try submitting them here.  You might get a quicker response.  I've found depending on what you ask for it can take TYPICALLY months, years or never.  It's just a matter of what you are asking for and if they can do it and if it makes sense or if they WANT to do it. Sometimes we ask for things they CAN do, SHOULD do, but never do.  And it's anyone's guess as to why.

www.apple.com/feedback/

• Reply 10 of 44
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member

I'm only running it because Apple didn't release 6.1.6 for the iPhone 4. 

iOS 6 is a MUCH better operating system, 7 is horribly ugly and has major user interface problems.

I'm hoping 8 is better.

• Reply 11 of 44
    flashfan207flashfan207 Posts: 291member
    I am truly enjoying iOS 7.1, but I would bet iOS 8 will not be available for my old iPhone 4... That said, I am very confident in saying that it is the highest quality smartphone from 2010 that is still enjoying regular use to this day.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member

lotta trolls out tonite on this forum.

• Reply 13 of 44
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    pazuzu wrote: »

Is this post a joke? Both of those things are possible today!
  • Reply 14 of 44

I need:

Search for email.

History for Safari.

• Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tenly View Post

Is this post a joke? Both of those things are possible today!

Within both? no.

• Reply 16 of 44
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    Quote:

Within both? no.

Quote:

I need:

Search for email.

History for Safari.

Search for e-mail:

Go into Mail.  Click 'All inboxes'.  Drag down and the search box appears.  Enter your keywords and it will search all e-mails in all inboxes.  You can also do this for individual mail accounts.

History for Safari:

At the bottom of the screen, click the icon that looks like an open book.  This brings up a page with 3 icons across the top:  Bookmarks, Reading List and Shared Links.  Click on Bookmarks.  In the list that appears, there are 'Favorites', 'HISTORY', 'Bookmarks Menu' and any bookmarks or bookmark folders you've created.

You're welcome.

• Reply 17 of 44
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Very happy to say that I have not updated to 7 yet on 4 out of 5 devices.   I still find it a visual disaster. 

I may have to get 8, but only with a new device.  I will not give them the satisfaction of having my older machines updated.

My biggest fear is what will happen to Mac OS now that Apple has gone this design route...  

• Reply 18 of 44
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    I had no choice. Apple broke FaceTime compatibility between iOS 7 and 6. So if I wanted to use FaceTime , I was forced to upgrade. No wonder Apple can claim such high numbers.

I really don't like iOS 7, nor do I use many of the new features now, though I'm sure I love the improvements under the hood.
    Yeah there are things wrong with that, and bad to find out that if you have something day an iPod 4, FaceTime compatible, except can't contact newer devices.
    darkvader wrote: »
    I'm only running it because Apple didn't release 6.1.6 for the iPhone 4. 

iOS 6 is a MUCH better operating system, 7 is horribly ugly and has major user interface problems.

I'm hoping 8 is better.
    Agreed
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Both have been in IOS for year, history is in bookmarks and mail search is if you pull-up.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    cuencapcuencap Posts: 99member
    Very happy to say that I have not updated to 7 yet on 4 out of 5 devices.   I still find it a visual disaster. 

I may have to get 8, but only with a new device.  I will not give them the satisfaction of having my older machines updated.

My biggest fear is what will happen to Mac OS now that Apple has gone this design route...  

Apple doesn't get any satisfaction out of you updating your old machines. They don't care about you becoming the 0.5% piece of the pie chart in this article. Get off your high horse.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    I don't understand everyone's aversion to iOS 7. I like it on my iPhone and my iPad. Seriously, why do people hate it so much?

Working in tech support when the whole transition for FaceTime went down was a pain in the butt (It's still ongoing for those who don't use FaceTime very often.) A lot of people were angry with their cell phone carrier because they had to update their software. Explaining to people that APPLE, not their carrier, changed the requirements for running FaceTime time and again was awful. A lot of people were angry about having to give up iOS 6 so they could continue using FaceTime.