Possible OS X 10.10 names discovered in trademark filings, continue with California theme

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeyondYourFrontDoor View Post

Must be hard to come up with a global name that hasn't been used 100 times. Are they going with landmarks? Surfing hangouts? I would think national parks might have restrictions on using their names as well...

At the keynote featuring the OS X 10.9 Mavericks unveiling, the Apple senior brass claimed that OS X releases would hereto forth be named after inspirational California places as Apple is a California company.

This narrows the name pool considerably, although there are enough locations within the state to support annual naming until long after I have departed from this planet.

Clearly, when Apple selected Mavericks as the first name of this new scheme, they did not go with what was most well-known on a worldwide basis.

• Reply 42 of 77
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

How do you pronoune Yosemite? I presume it's Yo! sa might.

Yosemite is pronounced

yo-SE-mi-tee 

yo - rhymes with SO, NO 

se - pronounced as SET without 'T' 

mi - pronounced as MISS without 'SS' 

tee - rhymes with SEE

It is an American Indian name for the location.

• Reply 43 of 77
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    mstone wrote: »
    Yosemite is pronounced yo-SE-mea-tea

Thanks! Just to clarify for my dull brain: is that mayor(as in mea culpa)-tee or me-tee?
  • Reply 44 of 77
    mstone wrote: »
    Yosemite is pronounced
    yo-SE-mi-tee 

yo - rhymes with SO, NO 

se - pronounced as SET without 'T' 

mi - pronounced as MISS without 'SS' 

tee - rhymes with SEE

Ah, got it, thanks! Bit like committee.
  • Reply 45 of 77
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Sorry, 10.10 is just ridiculous. 10.10 is very similar to 10.1.0, which is common nomenclature (not that it will lead to much confusion). 10.10.10 is going to look ludicrous. They really need to figure out what comes after OS X marketing.
  • Reply 46 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Just go to YouTube, search for "Yosemite Sam." 

He's a character from the Bugs Bunny cartoons, which most American kids would know. Well, at least the ones before the Millenials.

Play a few of those videos, he usually says his name.

• Reply 47 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Sorry, 10.10 is just ridiculous. 10.10 is very similar to 10.1.0, which is common nomenclature (not that it will lead to much confusion). 10.10.10 is going to look ludicrous. They really need to figure out what comes after OS X marketing.

Joe Consumer probably doesn't even know what version number is on his computer/smartphone/tablet.

The operating system versioning is only important for dork wads like the ones in tech rumor forums. Meaning Apple doesn't care.

And 99% of the people who will run OS X 10.10 won't be people who ran 10.1.0. Note that we have already seen 10.x.10 releases. Your concern is completely irrelevant to Apple engineering or Apple marketing.

• Reply 48 of 77
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    OS X Beats, anyone?
  • Reply 49 of 77
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member

Do I detect a note of sarcasm there?

• Reply 50 of 77
    jungmark wrote: »
    OS X Beats, anyone?

OS X Beats Windows
  • Reply 51 of 77
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Yosemite ws the first powerMac G4, wasn't it?

I'll wait for OSX Sawtooth.

I definitely remember "Yosemite" from the PowerMac days, not sure if it was a chipset or CPU or what...

• Reply 52 of 77
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Why would AI jump to OS X Yosimite when they published previous names that were trademarked that included El Cap and El Capitain? I'm guessing we are getting OS X El Capitan and not Yosimite.

Maybe it was just Mac Rumors.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/24/future-os-x-names-california/

See the update had El Cap and the main story had Yosimite.
  • Reply 53 of 77
    OS X Marks The Spot
  • Reply 54 of 77
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Why the hell would it even reach 10.10.10? When was the last time OSX got 10 major updates before the next version? 10.9.3 was JUST released and 10.10 is going to be revealed next week. At most it will reach 10.9.5 before they stop updating. Did you forget we're on yearly releases now? 

It may or may not be called 10.10, but I very much doubt Apple is concerned it may be confused with an OS released 13 years ago. Jus like Tallest Ski's epic obsession that it wouldn't be called the iPhone 5 because it literally wasn't the 5th iPhone, the concern was utterly irrelevant to consumers and thus Apple, and so is this. 

• Reply 55 of 77
    10.10 better be amazing and blow everyones mind if it is called Yosemite, because if it is buggy or lame it will be called "Yosemite Sam" by the pundits, press, and Apple haters.
  • Reply 56 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Why would AI jump to OS X Yosimite when they published previous names that were trademarked that included El Cap and El Capitain? I'm guessing we are getting OS X El Capitan and not Yosimite.

Maybe it was just Mac Rumors.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/24/future-os-x-names-california/

See the update had El Cap and the main story had Yosimite.

Sweet! El Capitan was my first choice after seeing the banner. I don't want it to be something already fairly well known outside of CA.
  • Reply 57 of 77
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tdknox View Post

I've been to Weed, CA. The beautiful silhouette of Mt. Shasta in the background is quite inspirational, but there is nothing else about the city that's the least bit motivating.

Mt Shasta — thanks, that nicely explains one of the names in Thomas Pynchon's Inherent Vice (which I am in the middle of at the moment). I'm sure there are many other California-based insider jokes that I am not getting, having never been there.

I like Big Sur as a name. Maybe that.

• Reply 58 of 77
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    If Apple were naming the next version of OS X after places in New Mexico, we could be using OS X Truth or Consequences, just rolls right off the tongue.
    Is there a OS X version that wasn't 1-2 names in it? All the California things, I find it weird that it was cats to California, and was hoping they would keep plant(or nature) theme, they could have done bears, trees, anything then naming things that only California has.
  • Reply 59 of 77
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Is there a OS X version that wasn't 1-2 names in it? All the California things, I find it weird that it was cats to California, and was hoping they would keep plant(or nature) theme, they could have done bears, trees, anything then naming things that only California has.

I surprised Tim Cook didn't name the OS X releases after great civil rights campaigners.

• Reply 60 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ascii wrote: »
    I surprised Tim Cook didn't name the OS X releases after great civil rights campaigners.

Maybe it already is: Malcom [OS] X