WWDC 2014 preview: Apple's interest in home, health & headphones

Comments

• Reply 61 of 104
    red oak wrote: »
    It has been 8 months since Apple released anything substantial (the iPad redesign). It is perfectly valid and reasonable to have questions on the aggressiveness and sense of urgency inside the company. Even for those like myself who are fans of the company.

On side note, I've tested Beats Music and it is awesome. Going back to iTunes Music is like going back to DOS. It is scary how badly Apple has managed its music business. This is a red flag for me on Apple's ability to bring innovative services to market. There is a window of opp and it will not stay open for ever

Let's see what WWDC brings. An iOS 8 lite + OSX 10 re-skin does not cut it in my book

I don't understand why Apple didn't already get a handle on this. They have everyone's play counts on itunes. They don't take our info, which is good, but they could always bring up a prompt asking if we want to share them. Then they would always have the top listened to songs for every genre all the time. Hopefully voluntary, and always voluntary. It would literally blow away anything on the market.

I can't see why this hasn't been implemented yet.

It takes 15 minutes for the "genius" data to sync to my phone or iPad but there's nothing I ever want to hear on any of them. If I have 20k songs because I imported the whole CD, it plays the tracks that NO ONE likes. Better off deleting them, but why when space is just going to keep getting bigger.

Also, supposedly digital music sales are declining. They took away the feature where I could look at published playlists. So I don't look at new songs. Ping sucked because it wasn't an automatic sign up, but I still got to see new songs from friends and they could see newly downloaded songs from me. Then they took that away. So right now I listen to my playlists and hear ZERO new songs. When I tune to the radio, it's always adds. That last for longer than I wanted to hear music.

So I check Sound Hound... Whoa! Their top five is apparently way off my demographic. There's nothing out there right now. Itunes had a lot of sales when you could check on what other people where listening to. They took that out of the equation so sales are declining.

Right now there's nothing. They kind of killed themselves on this one. They have all the tools in place and are not utilizing them.

I chuck this up to good old Eddy Cue. He's a dinosaur that has no clue about youth. He has no vision on how to deliver what people want. I don't need iOS in my car. My car already recognizes my phone, iPad and iPod. Heck I was recently showing off my new car to a friend, I told him to start it up. It doesn't need a key. It knows when I'm close. When he did it started playing songs from my iPad which was 300' away! It blew him away starting it without a key, and me away playing songs from my iPad 300' away. I don't need iOS in the car.
  • Reply 62 of 104
    My bad.
  • Reply 63 of 104
    Look at his/her most recent posts. You'll understand.

I could be wrong... It certainly won't be the first time, but on the internet if I'm wrong no one's life is at stake. I like that a LOT!

You'll have to forgive me. I'm a simple soldier. I don't deal with ad-homs. A simple Google search turned up, ????

Slurpy's kind of an Apple troll. Reverse Psycology

...more nonsensical bullshit...

Nothing you have said has made any sense. Calling other people trolls (who are clearly not) just makes it even more obvious that you are a troll. Give it up already, you're just annoying at this point.

And if you can't understand the difference between attacking someone with curse words and saying they should be shot (you), vs integrating it into a post without referencing specific individuals (Slurpy), then you clearly have some special issues.

Fwiw I'm a fan of Slurpy's "sentence enhancers;" they add a little flavor to the threads.
  • Reply 64 of 104

Nothing you have said has made any sense. Calling other people trolls (who are clearly not) just makes it even more obvious that you are a troll. Give it up already, you're just annoying at this point.

And if you can't understand the difference between attacking someone with curse words and saying they should be shot (you), vs integrating it into a post without referencing specific individuals (Slurpy), then you clearly have some special issues.

Fwiw I'm a fan of Slurpy's "sentence enhancers;" they add a little flavor to the threads.

If I'm a troll, do yourself a favor and grow me on ignore.

Also, in my last post I admitted that perhaps Slurpy isn't who I thought he was. I was over seas for a long time. I think it may have been Slappy I was thinking about. I'm not sure.

To be safe though, just put me on ignore.

Trust me, it's better to be ignored than have people looking for you.

Sorry if I offended you.
  • Reply 65 of 104

Yes sir, you're right. Just need to adjust. Listening to people whine about the hardships of mundane things is kind of grating. I meant it as a joke. Should have hit the smiling face on the side.

;)

...and I think I did say that I could be wrong and no one would get hurt from me being wrong.

Edit: Yes sir, I just re-read his posts and I think he's here to give Apple fans exactly the bad publicity that's been propagated and played upon for a while. He's one of those that are making the stigma.

Better just throw me on ignore...
  • Reply 66 of 104
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    I just want to state once again as I have since around xMas a few times here, that I think this WWDC is going to be mind blowing and have more than a few big surprises. Also I'm not counting anything to do with Beats (which I support BTW). That would be too easy even if it does buttress my "out of left field" [U]pre[/U]diction.

I'm (still) a firm believer in "The One More Thing Magic".... :smokey:
  • Reply 67 of 104
    I just want to state once again as I have since around xMas a few times here, that I think this WWDC is going to be mind blowing and have more than a few big surprises. Also I'm not counting anything to do with Beats (which I support BTW). That would be too easy even if it does buttress my "out of left field" prediction.

I'm (still) a firm believer in "The One More Thing Magic".... :smokey:

I'm hoping they bring back the "one more thing" surprise. Not sure why Phil didn't do it with the Mac Pro. If it's because of Steve, times passed.

Let's bring it!

I do want to hear "can't innovate my ass" again. That was a show stealer.

Ah crap. Just went to watch last years on the ATV. They removed it. I'll have to utube it from Google and airplay it.
  • Reply 68 of 104
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    red oak wrote: »
    It has been 8 months since Apple released anything substantial (the iPad redesign). It is perfectly valid and reasonable to have questions on the aggressiveness and sense of urgency inside the company. Even for those like myself who are fans of the company.
    Not here though. You ask those questions and you're considered a troll.
  • Reply 69 of 104
    Horrible news. Is that why the stock went down today? Perhaps, but I highly doubt it. Most likely the Friday sell off. Weekends are long and you don't know where you'll be on Monday.
    I do wonder why Beats was so eagerly pursuing Apple, pushing Apple to acquire them. That should give people pause. There were rumors that Tony Fadell was eagerly looking for a suitor because Nest was struggling and worried about big players like Honeywell. That's one of my concerns with Beats - especially now knowing they were the ones pursing Apple and not the other way around. Why were they so eager to be acquired? I predict within a year Iovine and Dre will be gone. No way are they going to fit in with Apple's corporate culture, where what they do and say will now be restricted. Neither of them need the money and not doubt will want more freedom than working at Apple will provide them.
  • Reply 70 of 104
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Ah crap. Just went to watch last years on the ATV. They removed it. I'll have to utube it from Google and airplay it.
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/apple-keynotes/id275834665?mt=2
  • Reply 71 of 104
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

These are three issues I have with this OS. That is why developers don't like it: Android truely doesn't like developers.

Being recently home, I've looked into it. It doesn't seem so bad. Please share your experience if you don't mind. Perhaps I can work my way around it.

From what I understand I would only need to support a few OS's, but apparently android is definitely among them. Doesn't seem so bad so far.., what do you know?

I'd appreciate it if you could tell me the quirks.

...and yes I did read what you wrote above.

In response to your #1, #2, & #3

1.) adapt and overcome.

2.) adapt and overcome.

3.) adapt and overcome

Did you actually say scrolling was too hard? What the **** are you? Some pansy ass shit? Go live somewhere where you can be shot! You ungrateful piece of shit!

It's amazing what happens when you give eight years. Eight years ago none of this existed and you're saying point and click is too much work?

Please sign up for the services, I don't believe in them anymore, but you will most definitely benefit from it.

It's a shame, but your descent into abusive language destroyed any credibility you might otherwise have had.

• Reply 72 of 104
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

I'm waiting for anything mainstream to implement any of these tech's. It's unfortunately being withheld (sorry, not used) from major developers. ..and I don't consider that horrible fist person tap game a real developer. Just me and my bad opinion though.

There are far too little developers using OpenGL than there should be. If the writing is on the wall, and a OpenGL is better, which it Is far superior, why are they not developing titles to take advantage of this.

Honestly, because every Mac besides the new MacPro is made to be hobbled by graphic performance.

I actually don't think OpenGL is superior. DirectX has been faster and more popular for a long time. But we are at a unique point in history. With the release of Mantle, AMD has people thinking about whether GPU drivers should be providing a lower level abstraction than they have in the past. And Microsoft aparently agree, with DirectX 12 being a major rewrite. So if Apple ever wanted to escape OpenGL (and it's permanent second bestness) now is the time. 

There are only 4 GPU manufacturers Apple uses: NVidia, AMD, Intel and PowerVR. Surely they could do a survey of the functionality of all four, and come up with a minimal abstract model of a GPU that encompasses all of them (minimal meaning as low level as possible) and make their driver present that to higher layers.

• Reply 73 of 104
    imatimat Posts: 209member
    Mac book pro17" is back with retina display (if only)
  • Reply 74 of 104
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

It'll be interesting to see what Apple does with all the cool Beats hardware products.  

Headphones, Earphones, Speakers, Car Entertainment System (including amplifier and speakers).

These products are a perfect extension to Apple's current line up.   Apple should sells the 5c under the Beats brand.

Now that Apple plans to introduce its Home Automation standards, the question is who will jump on board and how does Apple make money?

Whirlpool, Honeywell, GE, Maytag, KitchenAid, Frigidaire, Philips, Sony, RCA, Westinghouse, Amana, Sears, Siemens, Kwikset, Nest.

Too bad Nest sold to Google, they would have been much better off with Apple now that the ease of use playing field will be leveled.

I think they will eventually be sold.  Some at Google already want to put ads in the thermostats when they should be expending with more devices.

People will tend to buy suites of devices from the same vendor.

It'll be interesting to see if Samsung gets onboard.  I think they'll have to.

• Reply 75 of 104
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I'm just glad to see some actual things coming out of Apple...

huh? how did you miss the retina MacBook or the new mac pro over the past couple of years? or are they not "actual"?

• Reply 76 of 104
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

"WWDC 2014 Preview... AppleInsider takes a look at what could be in the cards when Tim Cook takes the stage on Monday."

So is it a preview... or are you guessing?

Using terms like "expected to" and "we'll probably see" doesn't lend much confidence.

this is a rumors site, it's based on speculation. how do you not know that?

• Reply 77 of 104
    It'll be interesting to see what Apple does with all the cool Beats hardware products.  
    Headphones, Earphones, Speakers, Car Entertainment System (including amplifier and speakers).
    These products are a perfect extension to Apple's current line up.   Apple should sells the 5c under the Beats brand.

Now that Apple plans to introduce its Home Automation standards, the question is who will jump on board and how does Apple make money?
    Whirlpool, Honeywell, GE, Maytag, KitchenAid, Frigidaire, Philips, Sony, RCA, Westinghouse, Amana, Sears, Siemens, Kwikset, Nest.

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1KWAk21dYgc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Too bad Nest sold to Google, they would have been much better off with Apple now that the ease of use playing field will be leveled.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">I think they will eventually be sold.  Some at Google already want to put ads in the thermostats when they should be expending with more devices.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">People will tend to buy suites of devices from the same vendor.</span>

It'll be interesting to see if Samsung gets onboard.  I think they'll have to.
    I think Apple will sell Beats Electronics before Google ever sells Nest. There is no cool hardware coming from Beats. Unless you consider this cool:

beats-by-dre-pill-characters-on.jpg
  • Reply 78 of 104
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    There is no cool hardware coming from Beats. Unless you consider this cool:

[image]]

Stop being an ass.
  • Reply 79 of 104
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Stop being an ass.
    I think it's laughable to say Beats has cool hardware. Just because Dre and Iovine got celebrities to be seen with Beats doesn't make them cool. I can see Samsung thinking that way, not Apple.
  • Reply 80 of 104
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I think it's laughable to say Beats has cool hardware. Just because Dre and Iovine got celebrities to be seen with Beats doesn't make them cool. I can see Samsung thinking that way, not Apple.

1) It would be one thing to make that argument when the acquisition was just a rumour but now that it's official the intelligent thing to do is to not make stupid comments by finding the least cool picture then implying that is the coolest thing they offer but instead trying to see this from Apple's PoV.

2) I think these are very sharp looking. Much nicer in both look and construction than any of the white phones Apple has ever sold.