WWDC 2014 preview: Apple's interest in home, health & headphones

Comments

• Reply 81 of 104
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    imat wrote: »
    Mac book pro17" is back with retina display (if only)

That could happen. Coupled with low unit sales the technology cost issue was probably a big factor in not releasing a 17" Retina MBP. I think the first Retina MBP launched in 2012 so we may be at a point again where it's financially advantageous for Apple to offer that size notebook again. Now that they are so much lighter than years past it might even be more popular and do I happen to know several that want one.

Also note that the 17" MBP has lagged behind other MBPs after a casing change. IT was not by several years, I think a few months, but it was always seemed like a back of the burner product for Apple.I'm not saying get your hopes up but I can see foresee a path that would allow it come back into the lineup.
  • Reply 82 of 104
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) It would be one thing to make that argument when the acquisition was just a rumour but now that it's official the intelligent thing to do is to not make stupid comments by finding the least cool picture then implying that is the coolest thing they offer but instead trying to see this from Apple's PoV.

2) I think these are very sharp looking. Much nicer in both look and construction than any of the white phones Apple has ever sold.

Except I've never has Apple earphones break on me, and I've had two pair of Beats in ear headphones where the cord frayed. And frayed soon after I got them. I actually hope Apple sells off the headphone business since it's pretty clear that's not why they bought Beats.
  • Reply 83 of 104
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

Ah crap. Just went to watch last years on the ATV. They removed it. I'll have to utube it from Google and airplay it.

Check the Podcasts on your AppleTV... "Apple Keynotes" is in there.

• Reply 84 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Stop being an ass.

Stop feeding the trolls.

I've blocked a couple of them, but you people keep responding to them, so, unfortunately I still see their damned posts! >:-(

• Reply 85 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

Did you actually say scrolling was too hard? What the **** are you? Some pansy ass shit? Go live somewhere where you can be shot! You ungrateful piece of shit!

Whoa! Calm done there sonny boy... He never said anything about scrolling, he was talking about adding scroll views. This simple misunderstanding on your part has me thinking you don't know anything about what you're attempting to "discuss" ?

• Reply 86 of 104
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    edit: Taking [@]mjtomlin[/@]'s advice.
  • Reply 87 of 104
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

I'm just glad to see some actual things coming out of Apple...

Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

huh? how did you miss the retina MacBook or the new mac pro over the past couple of years? or are they not "actual"?

Yeah, almost a year ago. WOW!

• Reply 88 of 104
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    this is a rumors site, it's based on speculation. how do you not know that?

Of course I know that!

Maybe they should have said "Rumor Roundup" instead of "Preview"

It's just weird to lead with the word "Preview" and then follow up with words like "might" "maybe" and "could"

But you're right... this is a rumors site...... until they report on actual news.

Boy... I can't wait til Monday!
  • Reply 89 of 104
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Of course I know that!

Maybe they should have said "Rumor Roundup" instead of "Preview"

It's just weird to lead with the word "Preview" and then follow up with words like "might" "maybe" and "could"

But you're right... this is a rumors site...... until they report on actual news.

Boy... I can't wait til Monday!

I'm waiting for the Samsung Mega 2 announcement on June 12.

http://www.androidguys.com/2014/06/01/leaked-image-shows-gigantic-7-inch-samsung-galaxy-mega-2/

• Reply 90 of 104
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Apple Thunderbolt Display 4K 24-inch and much thinner. Thunderbolt 2, USB 3 & SDXC hubs. 999 USD.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

24" is way too small. I have a 30" Cinema so I would like a 4K at that size or even slightly larger. The sweet spot would be $2000 - 2400. I can't recall what I paid for my 30" but I think it was closer to $3000. 

I doubt they are announcing anything like that at WWDC but a new Apple 4K 30" would probably seal the deal for me buying a new Mac Pro.

iMacs sell in much greater volume than stand alone monitors and Apple's lately (except for the Pro - to wisely keep a user growth path and professional market presence) focused new product development on moving volumes. 

And third party 4K monitors are available for (and are sold by Apple for) the Pro for the present. Meanwhile, other articles have pointed out we are likely to see better support for 4K monitor management inside of the next OS X iteration being announced at WWDC. So there's that.

Bottom line, I'd expect any (supply limited) new monitor tech to debut on the iMacs first until they can be fully ramped up. And that's assuming Apple intends to stay in the monitor selling business.  Remember Apple printers?

• Reply 91 of 104
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Stop feeding the trolls.

I've blocked a couple of them, but you people keep responding to them, so, unfortunately I still see their damned posts! >:-(

Hysteriical- now one's considered a troll if they don't like Beats hardware!

LOLOLOLOL

• Reply 92 of 104
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Hysteriical- now one's considered a troll if they don't like Beats hardware!

Beats hardware is junk, fashionable junk. But Apple will now be designing Beats. Apple knows hardware.

And no, you are not considered a troll. You are a troll.
  • Reply 93 of 104
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

iMacs sell in much greater volume than stand alone monitors 

Obviously, but consider this: Currently all iMacs have the same ppi, just different screen resolutions, 1920 x 1080 or 2560 x 1440.

With 4K  all monitors have  3840 x 2160 regardless of the size. To make a 21" iMac 4K you would have to use 230 +- ppi and on the 27" you would use 140 +- ppi. Two completely different manufacturing processes, greatly increasing cost and the smaller screen with its much higher ppi might even cost more than the larger screen.  The higher the ppi the higher chance for a dead pixel so the yields are a lot lower, hence more expensive. Too expensive for an entry level iMac like the 21". It is my opinion that 4K will be the realm of 30" + monitors, at least for the next few years.

• Reply 94 of 104
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ireland wrote: »
    Beats hardware is junk, fashionable junk. But Apple will now be designing Beats. Apple knows hardware.

Apple aren't exactly known for stellar audio hardware.
  • Reply 95 of 104
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Apple aren't exactly known for stellar audio hardware.

I always wanted an iPod Hi-Fi. It was just too expensive.

• Reply 96 of 104
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    Stop feeding the trolls.

I'm glad to see you labeling Rogifan a troll. I'm going to join your boycott but I don't use "ignore" because I like to track the pathology.

One more thing, I hope you don't mind, before I shut up about his case: he's shown himself to be trolling by dredging up every possible negative aspect of Beats, the people involved, the hardware, etc., and yammering about it unceasingly. He wants this to be an Apple failure, which of course would be very rough for the Cook administration in the shadow of the loss of Steve Jobs.

So he doesn't pass the test of showing common decency toward the future of the company which is the subject of this site. (At this point, the deal is done, the decent attitude is voice your doubts and then take the position that time will tell, and shut up from there.) He goes on to perversely imagine all the ways he'd like to see the acquisition fail. And it's like he has a committee feeding him material, so furiously does the negative material flow. So he is a troll worth ignoring, if there ever was one.
  • Reply 97 of 104
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

To follow up on my previous post on 4K monitors, something that would be really cool to finally have Apple announce, which would be entirely appropriate at a WWDC, would be actual resolution independence. Currently on the Retina MBP you have a setting to scale the screen to more screen real estate or better legibility with larger text an icons, which they call Best Retina. In either case, the scaling is not true 100%. 100% scaling is important mostly to graphic designers. When in a DTP app it is really annoying to have the rulers be way off from real world physical rulers. It is impractical to hold a real ruler up to the screen to make sure you are viewing your work at 100%.

The thing that still needs to be perfected is the optimal viewing resolution so things don't get too small, but that is not only an issue that Apple needs to deal with but also Adobe, so when you choose 100% view in CC, you actually get 100%.

What I could see being a practical way to go would be for Apple to increase all of the iMacs and Cinema screens to something like 140 ppi so that the 27" iMac would be 4K and then a larger, say 32" Cinema, would be more than 4K much like the current 30" is more than 1080. The concept of 4K is related to TVs but also works as a monitor. There is no law that says a computer monitor cannot be higher resolution than a TV. That is the way it has been for years. 

• Reply 98 of 104
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member

a revamped Apple TV and the new "iWatch" -- are also likely to be kept in Apple's pocket.

?A pocket iWatch? I like it! Maybe with a Liquidmetal chain?

• Reply 99 of 104
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Quote:

Those sound cool to me.

By "cool HW" do you think there will be some non-cool (not necessarily uncool) HW updated?

The odds that there will be cool HW demoed, announced, and/or released/updated on Monday based on what we've seen over the last 11 WWDC keynotes is good. I only came up empty on 2 of 11 of them, but if you also don't want to count the Intel transitions then we're at 3 of 11 years. That's a 72% chance there will be something, based on these results along.

2013: Mac Pro, Time Capsule, & Airport Extreme

2012: 15" Retina MacBook Pro, & 11" and 13" MacBook Air

2011: null

2010: iPhone 4

2009: 13" MacBook Pro. 15" and 17" MacBook Pro, & iPhone 3GS

2008: iPhone 3G

2007: iPhone, & success of the Intel transition

2006: Mac Pro, & Xserve

2005: Intel transition

2004: null

2003: G5 PowerMac & external FW iSight camera

DEMOED | RELEASED | ANNOUNCED

Note: Most of the color coding was by memory so take that as only a loose guideline. The odds are great that I made at least one mistake.

Unfortunately Apple is waiting for Intel to release the new Broadwell chips so we probably won't see as many hardware announcements as in years past (computer wise).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

One thing Tim Cook knows is how the manufacturer supply chain.   Apple will be able to improve the quality and profitability of the beats hardware.

• Reply 100 of 104
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I think it's laughable to say Beats has cool hardware. Just because Dre and Iovine got celebrities to be seen with Beats doesn't make them cool. I can see Samsung thinking that way, not Apple.

1) It would be one thing to make that argument when the acquisition was just a rumour but now that it's official the intelligent thing to do is to not make stupid comments by finding the least cool picture then implying that is the coolest thing they offer but instead trying to see this from Apple's PoV.

2) I think these are very sharp looking. Much nicer in both look and construction than any of the white phones Apple has ever sold.

You make a good point. I think I made it clear that I was sceptical of the Beats deal, and I still am, but now it's happened, I'm prepared to give Apple the benefit of the doubt, because they earned it a long time ago.