Apple announces OS X 10.10 Yosemite with new interface, enhanced apps & continuity

Posted:
in macOS edited September 2014
Apple on Monday officially took the wraps off the next major software release for Mac, a redesigned and enhanced version of the OS X platform dubbed "Yosemite," bringing much of the cleaner, modern look of iOS to the Mac.

Named after the California national park, Yosemite will be available later this fall, and end users will be able to sign up for a public beta program in the summer. As with Mavericks, the Yosemite update will be free.

Apple software chief Craig Federighi showcased new "translucent materials" in the redesigned operating system, which also features bright colors and new icons. The translucent material extends to many areas of the operating system, with a demonstration showing it reacting to the background image in the sidebar of Messages and Finder. The effect is similar to the translucency introduced in iOS 7.

Apple also focused on "precise and consistent" fonts throughout the OS, eschewing their traditional Lucida Grande typeface in favor of a new sans-serif that appears to be a Helvetica variant.

Yosemite also comes with a new "dark mode," which turns the normally-light gray menu bars and dock to a darker gray, while Notification Center has been updated with a new Today View that can be extended with widgets and apps from the Mac App Store.

It's not yet known whether the appearance of widgets in Notification Center spells the end of the Dashboard. One of the widgets shown during a demonstration was ESPN SportsCenter, long a popular Dashboard widget.

Spotlight has been enhanced with its own translucent search box that pops up into the middle of the screen, rather than being docked to the menu bar. It can be used to quickly open apps or access documents, while it can also tap into information from the Internet, including news feeds, Wikipedia pages, Maps, Yelp reviews and movie times. The additional information is displayed directly in Spotlight, allowing the user to get information without switching applications.

Mail has also been updated in Yosemite, including a notable new feature dubbed "Mail Drop." Mail Drop addresses issues with large file attachments by hosting them in Apple's new iCloud Drive, hosting files up to 5 gigabytes in size which can be accessed by users in any mail client.

Mail also gains "Markup," which adds the ability to draw notes on attachments included in emails. Users can add signatures or text annotations, and Markup will recognize hand-drawn shapes like arrows and automatically change them to neat vectorized versions.

A new "Tab View" in Safari gives users the ability to quickly glance what they have open, while new private windows can be created separately from an already-open window. Users can also scroll through open tabs smoothly in the new Safari.

Safari also gains HTML5 Premium Video, which supports services like Netflix without plugins, adding up to 2 hours of additional battery life during playback.

Additionally, new Continuity features in OS X add greater integration between iOS and OS X. Macs can now automatically configure hotspots from connected iPhones, for instance, and both operating systems give users the ability to automatically continue working across devices in first-party apps like Numbers and Safari.

Continuity also extends to phone functionality. SMS messages can now be sent and received in Messages on the Mac, while OS X also allows users to make and receive phone calls from their laptop or desktop.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 141
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Gorgeous UI.
  • Reply 2 of 141
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member
    WTF??!! Welcome to Windows 8 of the Apple world!!
  • Reply 3 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

WTF??!! Welcome to Windows 8 of the Apple world!!

One more thing...what's up with these GUI designers these days? Too damn over simplified for my liking. May as well go back to 256 colours.

• Reply 4 of 141
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    visualzone wrote: »

One more thing...what's up with these GUI designers these days? Too damn over simplified for my liking. May as well go back to 256 colours.

clean ? simple
  • Reply 5 of 141
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

It looks like the screenshot leaks on the other Apple sites and Reddit were legit after all.

• Reply 6 of 141
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Can't wait to get back from Alaska and see all this on something larger than an iPhone!
  • Reply 7 of 141
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 513member

Apple is really doing it correctly. They're adding on great functionality without upheavals. I like the big new search box.

*Compare that to Win 8 zig azg and trying to recover from that.

• Reply 8 of 141
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

It looks like the screenshot leaks on the other Apple sites and Reddit were legit after all.

Uhh- they were dead wrong, in fact.

• Reply 9 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

clean ? simple

Yup, just like in Kindergarden. Some will call it progression others(like me) regression.

• Reply 10 of 141
    almondrocaalmondroca Posts: 179member

Looking forward to the Finder Dark Mode and being able to call Dr. Dre via the Mac.

• Reply 11 of 141
    Quote:

Yup, just like in Kindergarden. Some will call it progression others(like me) regression.

You want overly and unnecessarily complex?  Go use Microsoft.

And it's Kindergarten.  Maybe you should go back to there too...

• Reply 12 of 141
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Uhh- they were dead wrong, in fact.

Agreed. The icons are complex, but clean. The menus/fonts are all consistent and clean. The UI is consistently hidden until needed.

This is a beautifully and minimalistic UI.

Steve would be proud of the many NeXT philosophies in 10.10. Keith Ohlfs would be proud.

Note: the Settings icon is done correctly, unlike iOS.

• Reply 13 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Agreed. The icons are complex, but clean. The menus/fonts are all consistent and clean. The UI is consistently hidden until needed.

This is a beautifully and minimalistic UI.

Steve would be proud of the many NeXT philosophies in 10.10. Keith Ohlfs would be proud.

Note: the Settings icon is done correctly, unlike iOS.

Not to mention every icon was wrong- iTunes, Safari, Maps, Trash Can, Settings- Why am I going on? Everything was wrong, really.

• Reply 14 of 141
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    The colours and the graphics remind me of Windows XP! Don't know what to make of that at the moment....whether I like it of not?

I've just looked at more screen shots of Yosemite...don't like the look of the new Dock, too much grey space between the app icons, still prefer the more tightly packed and 3D effect of the current Dock.
  • Reply 15 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

The colours and the graphics remind me of Windows XP! Don't know what to make of that at the moment....whether I like it of not?

I disagree- it's so minor of a UI change, really.  iOS 6 to 7 was Night and Day.  This is more Dawn and Day.

Regardless- the big news is spotlight starting to do what web browsers do.  By OSX 10.11, it'll be its own search engine.  Prepare yourself Google.

• Reply 16 of 141
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    System requirements?
  • Reply 17 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

You want overly and unnecessarily complex?  Go use Microsoft.

And it's Kindergarten.  Maybe you should go back to there too...

Aw, did I hurt your feelings? I use Windows and have for years but I sure wouldn't use Windows 8. In fact it looks like some of Windows 8 was copied into OS 10.10. I'll still with Windows 7 and when it comes to Apple, Mavericks will do. Btw, I've used Apple products for many years.

• Reply 18 of 141
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So far this is the best WWDC I can remember. So many of my longterm desires are finally materializing.
  • Reply 19 of 141
    Quote:

Aw, did I hurt your feelings? I use Windows and have for years but I sure wouldn't use Windows 8. In fact it looks like some of Windows 8 was copied into OS 10.10. I'll still with Windows 7 and when it comes to Apple, Mavericks will do. Btw, I've used Apple products for many years.

I was wondering when you were gonna use that card :err:

• Reply 20 of 141
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    The new UI is going to take time getting used to. The white trash can is really hideous. Flat dock from Tiger days is a regression in my opinion.

I like the new features on the other hand.