Apple debuts iCloud Drive for OS X, brings file storage and sharing across devices

Posted:
in macOS edited June 2014
As one of the first major features announced for OS X 10.10 Yosemite at WWDC 2014, Apple introduced a new service called iCloud Drive that allows users to store and share documents in the cloud.

With iCloud Drive, users can store files and folders -- with tags -- and sync documents across all Macs, allowing for universal search directly from Finder. Apps that plug into the service receive their own folders that can be accessed and synced across multiple platforms.

While the service smacks of popular cloud storage service Dropbox with a drag-and-drop interface, iCloud Drive brings productivity features like document editing and tagging. In addition, content can also be swapped between compatible apps from the iCloud Drive window on all platforms.

At launch, iCloud Drive will work with machines running OS X, iOS and Windows, meaning the service will be a truly cross-platform feature.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    Welcome Back!
  • Reply 2 of 24
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Cya Dropbox.  I loved you for a while.

• Reply 3 of 24
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Cya Dropbox.  I loved you for a while.

I thought Steve Jobs courted DropBox, but he was refused. I wish DropBox joined Apple at that time. Now, there is no need for it.

• Reply 4 of 24
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Finally!
  • Reply 5 of 24
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Finally!

Finally what? Giving us back the technology that existed when they launched Monile Me? And then took away, forcing everyone to scramble to find some other alternative?

Why would I possibly switch back from Drop Box, a service that Apple forced me to use, and works flawlessly for me? And why would I ever invest in an Apple solution again, when they could just as easily change their minds and force me to scramble to find another service at any time?

Talk about a royal screw up. Fool me once, as they say ...
  • Reply 6 of 24
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Finally!

Finally what? Giving us back the technology that existed when they launched Monile Me? And then took away, forcing everyone to scramble to find some other alternative?

Why would I possibly switch back from Drop Box, a service that Apple forced me to use, and works flawlessly for me? And why would I ever invest in an Apple solution again, when they could just as easily change their minds and force me to scramble to find another service at any time?

Ok, so it's not for you.

Cool!
  • Reply 7 of 24
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

I thought Steve Jobs courted DropBox, but he was refused.

Yep.

I wish DropBox joined Apple at that time. Now, there is no need for it.

They wish so too.

• Reply 8 of 24
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member

I'm a big fan of dropbox and it costs me $10/month, but if iCloud filesharing is as fast as dropbox there is no reason to stay with dropbox anymore.

iCloud will be more seamless, especially with the new iCould based iPhoto update that will be embedded. It really boils down to, can the apple servers and server software keep up and be as fast as Dropbox which runs on Amazon S3?

• Reply 9 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member

I'm not going to get rid of my free Dropbox account yet but iCloud Drive looks like it'll work very nicely for those in the Apple ecosystem. 

I'm utterly flabbergasted about Extensibility.  Apple finally got OpenDoc finished decades later. 

• Reply 10 of 24
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    I assume that multiple users on a single file are still not possible?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Originally Posted by hledgard View Post

I assume that multiple users on a single file are still not possible?

Do you mean collaboration between iWork documents, as an example?

• Reply 12 of 24
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Seriously?  

• Reply 13 of 24
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

So don't switch. Wow, that was easy.

You could have saved all your ranting for something else.

• Reply 14 of 24
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 513member

Pricing please!

I wonder if they'll consolidate paying for subscription services. iCloud Drive & Beats/iTunes together. Something like what Amazon has done by bundling so much under one offering. More importantly, bundling it all under one easy-to-understand annual cost. ("iPrime!")

Update: I see pricing was announced. I have yet to view the whole keynote.

• Reply 15 of 24
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

$3.99/mo for 200 GB, it's a drop dead for Dropbox at $9.99/mo for 100 GB. 

• Reply 16 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

$3.99/mo for 200 GB, it's a drop dead for Dropbox at $9.99/mo for 100 GB. 

I'm guessing that $9.99 a month just may buy 1TB of iCloud storage. 

• Reply 17 of 24
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'm guessing that $9.99 a month just may buy 1TB of iCloud storage. 

In before the Google Lickers. “BUT BUT BUT BUT WE OFFER THAT FOR FREEEEEEE”

• Reply 18 of 24
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Is this iDisk with a new name/icon?

iDisk synchronisation was an utter disaster for me in the past - no reason to believe that it'll work any better this time around?
  • Reply 19 of 24
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    messiah wrote: »
    Is this iDisk with a new name/icon?

iDisk synchronisation was an utter disaster for me in the past - no reason to believe that it'll work any better this time around?

yes, I'm sure they released the exact same implementation.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    jmc54 wrote: »
    Welcome Back!

mac_128 wrote: »

Mobile me didn't sync to iDevices. And correct me if I'm wrong- did it sync to Windows devices and allow you to share to anyone you want anywhere you want? Apples and oranges.