Dr. Dre makes Apple debut at WWDC, helps showcase iPhone calling support in OS X Yosemite

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2014
Apple's latest high-profile hire, rapper and entrepreneur Dr. Dre, made his grand debut at the Worldwide Developers Conference on Monday on the receiving end a phone call from Apple software chief Craig Federighi.

Federighi made the call while on stage showcasing OS X Yosemite's new continuity features. In an effort to showcase how iPhone features can be wirelessly shared with the Mac -- including the ability to place phone calls and talk over the Mac's microphone and speakers -- Federighi said he would like to call one of Apple's newest employees.

On the Mac, he then placed a call to Dre, who answered with a stoic "hello" that appeared to surprise Federighi. Dre said that he's excited to begin life at Apple, before joking about what time he'd have to show up to work every day in order to beat notoriously early-rising Chief Executive Tim Cook.

Dre was brought onto Apple's team with its $3 billion purchase of streaming music provider and headphone maker Beats. Along with music industry mogul Jimmy Iovine, Dre turned beats into a premium brand that commands a huge chunk of the headphone market.

Apple has made it clear that the Beats acquisition is more about the streaming service than the headphone business, however. Cook noted in an interview that the Beats team gives Apple a "head start" in a business that is fast encroaching on iTunes's download sales domination.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

In related news, drblank died of a heart attack.  RIP blank

• Reply 2 of 41
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Once you go black you cant go back
  • Reply 3 of 41
    mac-daddymac-daddy Posts: 151member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Get over it. 

• Reply 4 of 41
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

He was not as funny and charming as Craig, on the call. He sounded so serious and not intersted. :\

• Reply 5 of 41
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    just_me wrote: »

Excuse me, but I thought all you Earthling humans started out black and then lost your protective pigmentation when you moved north. True?
  • Reply 6 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Excuse me, but I thought all you Earthling humans started out black and then lost your protective pigmentation when you moved north. True?

Isn’t the jury still out on that?

• Reply 7 of 41

Isn’t the jury still out on that?

Not my jury. Waiting to hear from the Anunnaki, though.
  • Reply 8 of 41

That whole moment in the keynote was kind of awkward.  Craig seemed to have a forced smile, Dre sounded like he was doing something he didn't want to do.  There was nothing really gained from it.  He should have just placed the call to Phil or someone with whom he has an easy banter.

• Reply 9 of 41
    chandra69 wrote: »
    He was not as funny and charming as Craig, on the call. He sounded so serious and not intersted. :\

I'd say mock serious at first, got with the joke at the end. Probably scripted of course, and maybe he was wary of the whole dicey stage business.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I'd say mock serious at first, got with the joke at the end. Probably scripted of course, and maybe he was wary of the whole dicey stage business.

But, while acquiring, Tim said that Apple and Beats were culturally compatible. :p

• Reply 11 of 41
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

No surprise there - he just sounds like a rapper. USD 3 billion for WHAT again?

• Reply 12 of 41
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    No surprise there - he just sounds like a rapper. USD 3 billion for WHAT again?

Street Cred.
    And ghetto blaster headphones.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Street Cred.

And ghetto blaster headphones.

I'll take the headphones but what exactly does Dr Dre bring to Apple other than a name?

• Reply 14 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    icoco3 wrote: »
    I'll take the headphones but what exactly does Dr Dre bring to Apple other than a name?

Maybe Steve Jobs could have told you.

[video]
  • Reply 15 of 41
    nicwalmsleynicwalmsley Posts: 117member
    So, if I can make a phone call from my mac through my phone, can I make a phone call from my iPad through my phone?
  • Reply 16 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So, if I can make a phone call from my mac through my phone, can I make a phone call from my iPad through my phone?

Theoretically, yes, as it's the same technologies for relaying the call.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Well, that was forced & awkward. Bad call.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Nothing. Absolutely nothing; not even a name, actually.

Yet he is USD 3 billion richer; ain't that great?

• Reply 19 of 41
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Silly - you know that won't be allowed until the iPad 8 is released.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Silly - you know that won't be allowed until the iPad 8 is released.

That’d be the… shoot, which one… The closest in the future the iPad 3 could be released is the next one, meaning the 6th iPad, so the soonest iPad 8 would be the 11th iPad.