Dr. Dre makes Apple debut at WWDC, helps showcase iPhone calling support in OS X Yosemite

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member

Can we add some Bass to our calls yet?

• Reply 22 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Can we add some Bass to our calls yet?

Just practice your basso profondo. 

• Reply 23 of 41
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    And at that point, all the Devs stormed out in protest and all the engineers quit. Oh, that's drblank's "reality" and not reality.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,065member

Telophony on the mac has been a moving target for a long time. I am really curious to see how this pans out. Like many people, I ditched my landline some time ago in favor of my cell phone. One of the things I left behind in doing so was the tried and true fax machine. Sure, old tech, but other people use it, so as a small business owner, I am expected to do likewise. There are apps to do this, but it frustrates me to pay a fee to do so. 

It would be nice to have iPhone recognize and receive an incoming fax. Or have an iPhone app that can be assigned incoming fax numbers and automatically recognize those as incoming fax numbers. And then push it to my mac.

And of course, vice versa - a pdf on my mac could be pushed through my iPhone to a recipients fax number.

I'd pay a reasonable fee for such an app; but a per page fee is absurd.

Be interesting to see what comes of 10.10's implementation. Remember, "available this fall" means "NLT 12/21/14."

• Reply 25 of 41
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Maybe Steve Jobs could have told you.

[video]

Wow... thanks! Why hasn't anyone mentioned this video before?

It looks like Apple has some kind of rapport with Dr. Dre already.

And I've heard that Jimmy Iovine has been talking to Tim Cook for many years.

This deal doesn't sound that out-of-whack after all. :)
  • Reply 26 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I think at least 2003, since the then named iTunes Music Store launched.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Incidentally, early reports of Trent Reznor's departure from Beats were wrong:

Trent Reznor to remain with Beats By Dre

5:47 PM ET, 06/02/2014 - Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — Trent Reznor and officials at Beats By Dre agree: Reznor is still with the company.

Reznor tweeted Monday afternoon that he remains the company's chief creative officer. Apple Inc. bought the headphones and streaming music company last week in a $3 billion deal.

Early reports last week speculated that the Nine Inch Nails leader would not follow Beats founders Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre to Apple as the company is absorbed. He wrote "YES I am still CCO of Beats Music and looking forward to what lies ahead with Apple" on Twitter. A spokeswoman with Beats confirms that Reznor remains CCO and that role will not change.

The Grammy and Oscar winner joined Beats in January 2013 when plans to enter the streaming market were launched.

• Reply 28 of 41
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

solipsismx wrote: »
    I think at least 2003, since the then named iTunes Music Store launched.

It's called Hollyweird overpriced cronyism.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

That whole moment in the keynote was kind of awkward.  Craig seemed to have a forced smile, Dre sounded like he was doing something he didn't want to do.  There was nothing really gained from it.  He should have just placed the call to Phil or someone with whom he has an easy banter.

Come on... This is Dr. Dre.  Remember the group N.W.A.??  This guy has to keep up that tough-guy, gangsta persona so he doesn't come across as looking like a "sellout" to the "man".  Of course, we all know that he is - and has been - part of that same corporate conglomerate.  I'm sure they were just goofing off.  That said, I'm sure Craig is not used to dealing with Dre's kind of hard personality. :)

It's all an act.  I'm not a fan of that kind of rap music, but I do admire his rise in the entertainment area.

• Reply 30 of 41
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

Iovine, Dre and Jobs were close friends and were very involved in each other's business.

It's the few AI nerds who dont't like them joining the team.

To me the Dr. Dre/Jimmy Iovine aqui-hire was genius. It's the crappy headphones that bother me. I really hope they get a slight redesign and tougher construction soon otherwise it would be very unlike Apple who's name has always been associated with quality.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    cali wrote: »
    Iovine, Dre and Jobs were close friends and were very involved in each other's business.

It's the few AI nerds who dont't like them joining the team.

To me the Dr. Dre/Jimmy Iovine aqui-hire was genius. It's the crappy headphones that bother me. I really hope they get a slight redesign and tougher construction soon otherwise it would be very unlike Apple who's name has always been associated with quality.

Thanks for the info! The way people have been talking since the deal was rumored... it sounded like Apple was hiring two random people off the street. I'm glad to hear the full story. (someone should have posted the Dr Dre iChat video weeks ago... I never saw it until today... and I've read every tech story about this acquisition)

As for crappy headphones... I'd like to see Apple get serious about audio devices. Apple bought a well-recognized brand name so they'll have no problem selling Beats products. But let's have Apple's audio engineers get their hands on them first!

I can see it now: Beats for the kids... Beats Pro for professional audio. It has a nice ring to it. :)
  • Reply 32 of 41
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Street Cred.
    And ghetto blaster headphones.

That is what I was saying. Dre has to keep his street cred. Overpriced deal or not. Gangsta forever.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    spartanspartan Posts: 21member
    Has anyone tried to call that mobile # to see if that is Dre's.

=-)
  • Reply 34 of 41
    spartan wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to call that mobile # to see if that is Dre's.

=-)

I thought about it but then noticed the email said [email protected] so I decided not to call.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    spartanspartan Posts: 21member

yah I saw that but why were everyone else's 555 numbers.

:p

• Reply 36 of 41
    spartan wrote: »

:p

My guess is because it was a real call, but one where they used a temporary number in order to initiate it.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    The phone number in the demo was 408-974-1010

Apple's main switchboard is 408-996-1010

Kinda curious about those last 4 digits... coincidence?

Anyway... someone actually did call that number. It is indeed an Apple number... with a pissed off operator. :)

http://mashable.com/2014/06/02/apple-dr-dre-phone-number-wwdc-2014/
  • Reply 38 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Spartan View Post

Because everyone else doesn’t exist. Apple’s filler content on demo devices uses fake people to give richness to the demonstration.

• Reply 39 of 41
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,065member

Maybe someone at WWDC or running the 10.10 beta can confirm if the telephony features will work on all Macs that Yosemite can be installed on. I'm curious if BT4.0 would be required, and that excludes a lot of macs. Maybe it is also smart enough to route via local wifi as well?

• Reply 40 of 41
    eightzero wrote: »
    Maybe someone at WWDC or running the 10.10 beta can confirm if the telephony features will work on all Macs that Yosemite can be installed on. I'm curious if BT4.0 would be required, and that excludes a lot of macs. Maybe it is also smart enough to route via local wifi as well?

I think they stated it has to be on the same network, as in LAN, which makes sense as your phone could be in your bedroom when you get a call in the living room, or whatever.

I'd love to test it but it's not working for me.