Apple announces OS X 10.10 Yosemite with new interface, enhanced apps & continuity

Comments

• Reply 61 of 141
    Does anyone know the hardware requirements for Yosemite?
  • Reply 62 of 141
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Frederighi is bloody brilliant.

This x1000

The guy has stunningly good presentation skills, and seems like a genius to boot. Couldn't be happier that he now is in charge of both OSX and iOS. He basically owned the entire keynote. I can see this guy being Apple's next CEO, if he wants it. He certainly has the perspective, wisdom, and skills. The fact that Frederighini is given such a chance to shine is also a testament to Cook's leadership skills. 

• Reply 63 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Oh look, clean and simple round icons - Apple's copied Samsung's Tizen:

{Screenshot omitted because it made my eyes bleed }

And no, Apple did not have them in iOS first - as Dilger claimed - they were demonstrated in a Tizen beta before iOS was ever demoed.

Doesn't matter of course, no one has a patent on circles.

They are round but not clean. 

• Reply 64 of 141
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

As far as OS X is concerned, I absolutely agree; a much welcome refresh of the Mac's UI - all the rest was pretty much crap.

Quote:

Best news of the day by far - the rest of the keynote was a total downer, with the single worst moment to be credited to "Dr Dre"'s ridiculous phone participation; probably the worst keynote since Gil Amelio's pathetic 3-hour MWSF presentation in 1997.

I thought it was one of the best ever Apple presentations.

Here is a list of the stuff you call pretty much crap:

Improved Notifications and Widgets

Improved Spotlight

Improved Safari

Mail Gets Markup

iCloud Drive

Handoff Syncs Work Across Devices

Airdrop Between iOs and Mac

Instant Hotspot

Text and Phone Calls Across Devices

Interactive Notifications

New Spotlight iOS

3rd Party Keyboards

Messages Gets Audio and Video Chat

Healthkit 

Family Sharing

New Photos App

Siri with Shazam & Hands free 

Swift

Extensions, Widgets interapp communication

Homekit 

Bundled Apps

Metal GPU integration    

Probably quite a few more, too many to remember.

• Reply 65 of 141
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Wow, what a wonderful release!!!! Truly!!! 

I just wish Mail was finally able to process flag for later, the only item from Outlook I miss in Mail! :( 

• Reply 66 of 141
    almondrocaalmondroca Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Buy a new Mac?  Get 5 free calls to Dr. Dre during normal rapper hours.

So, 7pm–2am? Was hoping Dre could drop some rhymes about multi-threading.

• Reply 67 of 141
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I thought it was one of the best ever Apple presentations.

Here is a list of the stuff you call pretty much crap:

Improved Notifications and Widgets

Improved Spotlight

Improved Safari

Mail Gets Markup

iCloud Drive

Handoff Syncs Work Across Devices

Airdrop Between iOs and Mac

Instant Hotspot

Text and Phone Calls Across Devices

Interactive Notifications

New Spotlight iOS

3rd Party Keyboards

Messages Gets Audio and Video Chat

Healthkit 

Family Sharing

New Photos App

Siri with Shazam & Hands free 

Swift

Extensions, Widgets interapp communication

Homekit 

Bundled Apps

Metal GPU integration    

Probably quite a few more, too many to remember.

I don't think you understood what I said. I was really happy about the OS X announcements, so this covers pretty much over half of your list; as for the rest, not much apart from third-party keyboards and Metal.

• Reply 68 of 141
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I don't think you understood what I said. I was really happy about the OS X announcements, so this covers pretty much over half of your list; as for the rest, not much apart from third-party keyboards and Metal.

Well excuse me. I read that aside from the OS X UI improvements everything else was crap. Plus, your comment about it being the worst ever keynote left me thinking that nothing in my list was something that you thought was worthwhile as they are not really UI related but feature related. In my opinion the subtle UI changes were the least significant of all the announcements.

• Reply 69 of 141
    mateus109mateus109 Posts: 24member

On the whole, I'm loving the new look.  Especially like how they've integrated Dashboard widgets into the Notification Centre and the clean UI.  However, I'm not liking that the Zoom button is now the fullscreen button (it was annoying enough when they removed the 'pill' button to hide the toolbar from Lion and now this too!).  Also, I wish Apple would get rid of the dumb blue folder icon and make it more intelligent - why not display a stacks icon instead (as used on the Dock)?

• Reply 70 of 141
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Well excuse me. I read that aside from the OS X UI improvements everything else was crap. Plus, your comment about it being the worst ever keynote left me thinking that nothing in my list was something that you thought was worthwhile as they are not really UI related but feature related. In my opinion the subtle UI changes were the least significant of all the announcements.

My bad - read "UI" as "OS X-related".

My comment on the keynote itself refers mainly to the extremely long and overly-boring tone of the presentations apart from what Federighi did OS X-wise (a masterful job, I must say). Besides, absolutely no hardware was announced and a whole bunch of things talked about concerned only the most nerdy of developers.

I know, I know: people are gonna say "but this is WWDC!!!" - it's just that, during SJ's years, the keynote served REALLY as a showroom for new consumer-oriented Apple things; they normally did NOT spend time talking about one hundred different APIs. Definitely a change of tone to cater to those making money off the App Store.

• Reply 71 of 141
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Oh look, clean and simple round icons - Apple's copied Samsung's Tizen:

And no, Apple did not have them in iOS first - as Dilger claimed - they were demonstrated in a Tizen beta before iOS was ever demoed.

Doesn't matter of course, no one has a patent on circles.

Tizen initial release 2012.

iTunes 2010

Things from OSX go to iOS, things from iOS go to OSX. Are you trying to tell me that there is no circle icons in iOS before 2012.

• Reply 72 of 141
    initiator wrote: »

My sentiments exactly. Didn't we already do translucency? They're making it sound like it is this new revelation.

Translucency, that's what all the politicians promise. Well, actually they promise transparency, but I'd settle for translucency.
  • Reply 73 of 141

I think OSX10.10 had some really interesting features but iOS 8 wasn't that huge upgrade ,only minor upgrades . What do you guys think

http://www.frisle.com/osx-10-10-yosemite-launched-wwdc-14/

• Reply 74 of 141
    Does anyone know the hardware requirements for Yosemite?

Intel processor... and 16 jiggawatts of memory.
  • Reply 75 of 141
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

Yup, just like in Kindergarden. Some will call it progression others(like me) regression.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

clean ? simple

Agreed VZ. What some people see as clean and elegant design I see as plain, unimaginative and boring. I've worked as a graphic designer for close to 20 years and can appreciate a clean, minimalist aesthetic. That is not really what I see with the iOS 7 user interface, which is now invading the Mac OS. To me the "design" of the iOS 7 looks, cheap, amateurish, and as others have commented, very Windows-like. Not to mention the fact that with ever new UI release it seems to become more tedious to do things. What use to take one click now takes two clicks and a swipe, etc. It seems like the folks who knew what they were doing regarding UI design are no longer on the OS X and iOS development teams. That's a shame.

• Reply 76 of 141
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Great- now all my Apple products look like Windowz machines. Thanks Jony.
    Did they at least change the friggin beach ball of death? Make it a spinning plate?
  • Reply 77 of 141
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Note: the Settings icon is done correctly, unlike iOS.

I noticed that too, what's up with the double cog in iOS? The icon spacing seems better in Yosemite too. I was expecting rounded rectangles though.

Font change should be good, I guess this will be Helvetica Neue or Avenir.

I prefer the 2D Dock. I'm not a huge fan of the overuse of translucency but the inverted black menu is a nice option.
  • Reply 78 of 141
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Translucency, that's what all the politicians promise. Well, actually they promise transparency, but I'd settle for translucency.

I'd settle for character!

On Topic:  I wonder what the age of the average Mac OS user is?  Would this have bearing upon the design of the UI?

• Reply 79 of 141
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Can't wait to get back from Alaska and see all this on something larger than an iPhone!

Do you really want to come back? Alaska is one of those places I've always wanted to visit.
  • Reply 80 of 141
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    As far as OS X is concerned, I absolutely agree; a much welcome refresh of the Mac's UI - all the rest was pretty much crap.

I'm not sure I buy that. I see the lack of any hardware releases as crap if you can call the lack of something crap.