Apple announces HealthKit for holistic health tracking

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
Confirming a string of rumors leading up to WWDC, Apple on Monday announced HealthKit and accompanying app Health, two assets that collect, store and parse health-related data in a central digital repository.

Apple SVP Craig Federighi took the wraps off Apple's answer to comprehensive mobile health tracking and interactive repository for taking control of data from a growing number of connected health devices.

Health is actually an app that collects and stores various data like steps taken, blood pressure and other metrics in a digital hub. Developers can tap into HealthKit and deliver data to Health, which may be viewed by end users. Alternatively, users can enter their own information through the Health app.

Nike was tapped as one of Apple's first partners through the company's Nike+ digital brand, which has in the past quantified activity via a proprietary metric called NikeFuel.

The Mayo Clinic is also working with Apple on a patient monitoring tool that ties into Health. Specifically, when a patient takes a blood pressure measurement, the data is saved and checked against previous personal results. If a reading is abnormal, the data can be automatically sent to a user's doctor for quick and seamless response.

Instead of having to dive into specific compartmentalized apps, with HealthKit users will have quick and easy access to all health-related information stored in one place.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    Hand over your health information to Apple > Government > Insurance companies.
    No thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by bitmod View Post

No thanks.

Thanks for telling us you didn’t watch the keynote.

• Reply 3 of 45
    I did and I thought exactly the same. Insurance companies are going to love "Health" I'd treat this extreme caution especially with the third party integration and Extensions. As for the rest of the Keynote. Lots of really good stuff, especially on the Enterprise side.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

No thanks.

I'm sure it'll be HIPAA compliant

• Reply 5 of 45
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Not to mention the user has full control over the data on the device. HealthKit provides a uniform framework for everyone to work together.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    palominepalomine Posts: 362member
    I noticed they just skimmed through Healthkit and the Home Automation parts. I'm wondering... If Nike has ceased making fitness bands...then what? Just for starters.

Really liked that this was truly a DEVELOPERS conference. I thought that the new enhancements and new code kits added to the programming kit were amazing.

Eff the stupid analysts this whole thing just went right over their heads. Even with the Demos I doubt analysts can imagine what any of it could mean.

Cue the stupid ones that trade options. They write their own clickbait articles of expectations, run the stock price up and then dump it all with more clickbait stories about how Apple disappointed them.

Apple has their roadmap and they are planning their trip. It's obvious they will need several special events further on this year.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    wa2flqwa2flq Posts: 2member
    Does anyone else's (older) brain keeping reading this as Heathkit.......
  • Reply 8 of 45
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I did and I thought exactly the same. Insurance companies are going to love "Health" I'd treat this extreme caution especially with the third party integration and Extensions. As for the rest of the Keynote. Lots of really good stuff, especially on the Enterprise side.
    You do know that Insurance Companies are HEAVILY regulated and have to comply with HIPPA and PHI? I would trust this data with insurance companies and health care providers before other 3rd parties.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    nicwalmsleynicwalmsley Posts: 117member
    That icon needs some adrenaline
  • Reply 10 of 45
    heliahelia Posts: 170member
    If a reading is abnormal, the data can be automatically sent to a user's doctor for quick and seamless response.

Sounds pretty cool!
  • Reply 11 of 45

I hope you're right. Like the idea but just have inherent mistrust of insurance company's who like bankers offer you an umbrella when it's sunny and take it back just as it starts to rain ! Just one step up from estate agents in my book. 

• Reply 12 of 45
    That icon needs some adrenaline

Hah! I see what you did there. :)
  • Reply 13 of 45
    I don't know what you guys are worried about. Health insurance is free now and covers you even with preexisting conditions! So, there wouldn't be any repercussions to the Health app.

#totalloadofbull
  • Reply 14 of 45
    fithianfithian Posts: 82member

Not only that, my current garage door opener is a Heathkit I assembled 40 years ago. Had to get a new transmitter/receiver, but otherwise it just works. Sound familiar? Now how do I control it with iOS8 and Homekit?
  • Reply 15 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    With so many new things released today I think this may get lost.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

With so many new things released today I think this may get lost.

I didn't watch the keynote yet, but this seems like one of those things where the software comes first, hardware next, so I think this is quite exciting for the potential of a wearable device that will use Healthkit after some bugs are ironed out/features added

• Reply 17 of 45
    rumormillrumormill Posts: 41member
    Wondering if the pundits will continue to say apple is not innovating? If seems they praised the galaxy s5 fingerprint reader as such a fascinating feature and huge selling point
  • Reply 18 of 45
    You're looking at your readout & talking with your doctor. You keep all the data on your device. You have a history in front of you & therefore you are both more well informed. Health care data standards have nothing to do with this initiative.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    disturbiadisturbia Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Hand over your health information to google > Ads > Ads > Ads > Ads > and order your drugs online - - no prescription is required - - Doctors available to chat 7 x 24.

Thanks.

Happy now?

• Reply 20 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Why do they keep writing "holistic"?

In my understanding the use of holistic means either understanding the whole of something or the 'treatment' of a patient requiring knowledge of their entire situation including phycological, social profile. As I see it this new Health app, it does neither.