Latest Xcode 6 beta hints at large screen iPhones and iPads

Posted:
in Mac Software edited June 2014
Alongside the latest OS X 10.10 Yosemite and iOS 8 developer preview releases, Apple on Monday issued Xcode 6 beta with a number of interesting features including the ability to code for "resizable" iPhones and iPads.

Following the Worldwide Developers Conference keynote, Apple released Xcode 6 beta with changes that reflect the coding environments for Apple's upcoming platforms, including "Resizable iPhone" and "Resizable iPad" options. The new functions were first spotted by French blog Mac4Ever and hint at as-yet-unannounced hardware.

The options can be found in the iOS Simulator tool, which itself comes with new configurations that let developers group data and configuration settings together. While not mentioned specifically in the "What's New" release notes, the resizable iPhone and iPad elements suggest Apple is planning to debut new device sizes in the same timeline as the rollout of iOS 8.

Apple is widely expected to debut a larger 4.7-inch iPhone this fall, with a 5.5-inch "phablet" version to see launch in the weeks or months following. As for the iPad and iPad mini, some analysts believe larger-screened versions won't come until 2015 at the earliest, while upcoming refreshes will focus on Touch ID integration and possible speed boosts.

Developers can download the latest Xcode 6 beta from Apple's Developer Portal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Been waiting for a 13” iPad for seven years.

• Reply 2 of 26
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:

resizeable

BREAKING: Apple to release stretchable "one size fits all" iPhone that doubles as iPad

• Reply 3 of 26
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member

That's very needed. Good to see they've got it ready.

• Reply 4 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Guys, you have violated your NDA by posting this information.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Been waiting for a 13” iPad for seven years.

Yes - I think I would prefer a 13" to a 12", though I'd settle for either. Could they keep the weight of a 13" to 1.5 pounds? Pushing it, I imagine, but would be amazing. I think they could achieve it with 12".

• Reply 6 of 26
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Could they keep the weight of a 13" to 1.5 pounds? Pushing it, I imagine, but would be amazing. I think they could achieve it with 12".

I don’t think they’ll be making one until they can, certainly. The first-gen iPad will be both the size and weight maximum for any larger model.

• Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Could they keep the weight of a 13" to 1.5 pounds? Pushing it, I imagine, but would be amazing. I think they could achieve it with 12".

I don’t think they’ll be making one until they can, certainly. The first-gen iPad will be both the size and weight maximum for any larger model.

I agree. And it surely wouldn't be as thick and bulky as the first-gen; also, because the weight would be more spread out, I daresay it wouldn't even feel as heavy.

• Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Apparently Foxconn is confirming? What? 

http://www.gsmarena.com/foxconn_announces_deal_to_manufacture_47_and_55inch_iphones-news-8678.php

Wow! Would Apple really allow Foxconn to make that announcement, or is this just another rumour masquerading as fact?

• Reply 10 of 26

I like that URL. Great going with the prediction, guys.

• Reply 11 of 26
    eckerguseckergus Posts: 96member
    Sweet! WWDC is not done yet and we are back on iPhone 6!
  • Reply 12 of 26
    hcrefugeehcrefugee Posts: 98member
    Quote:

Apparently Foxconn is confirming? What? 

http://www.gsmarena.com/foxconn_announces_deal_to_manufacture_47_and_55inch_iphones-news-8678.php

The link states that FoxConn issues a press release and then quotes the "press release."

Since when does a company's press release begin with "According the sources," ???

• Reply 13 of 26
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

A larger iPad, or an iPad Pro, or whatever the hell it's going to be called is definitely a day one purchase for me. Bring it on.

• Reply 14 of 26
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

A larger iPad, or an iPad Pro, or whatever the hell it's going to be called is definitely a day one purchase for me. Bring it on.

Sorry you won't be able to since you swore off all Apple products if the Beats deal went through. That was you wasn't it?

• Reply 15 of 26
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

I like that URL. Great going with the prediction, guys.

I didn't know Foxconn was located in Mumbai.

• Reply 16 of 26
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Sorry you won't be able to since you swore off all Apple products if the Beats deal went through. That was you wasn't it?

It's no big secret that I was not happy when I first heard about the Beats rumor, but I'd like to see proof of what you claim, because I don't believe that I ever claimed what you are claiming about me.

I do remember saying something about never buying an Apple product if it had any Beats logo on it.

• Reply 17 of 26
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's no big secret that I was not happy when I first heard about the Beats rumor, but I'd like to see proof of what you claim, because I don't believe that I ever claimed what you are claiming about me.

I do remember saying something about never buying an Apple product if it had any Beats logo on it.

It might not have been you then which is why I asked. A few here did make statements to that effect though. 

• Reply 18 of 26
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    ummmm why wouldn't apple include this option?
    It makes it easier for developers in case apple decides to release different size devices.
  • Reply 19 of 26

I think the French don't understand what "resizable" means.

• Reply 20 of 26
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    would resizability be needed for split screen multitasking?