Apple announces OS X 10.10 Yosemite with new interface, enhanced apps & continuity

Comments

• Reply 81 of 141
    photoeditorphotoeditor Posts: 244member
    I'm not keen on the typography on Yosemite. I hope I will like it better in practice, but it looks like the iPad, and I've had to bold that for legibility as it is. My belief is that legibility is best served by a fairly even and not too tightly leaded typeface like the one we have now, and like the one on the new federal highway signs in the US for example -- both the current Apple one and the new Federal Highway Administration one having been chosen through exhaustive testing and focus grouping for a reason. Unfortunately, unlike FHA with its safety inspectorate pushing for signage that motorists can read as quickly as possible, Apple have moved towards a "look" as opposed to usability. It's especially ironic given that as they're helping users by decluttering the graphics, they're hindering them by turning the text into a graphical element instead of, er, text. The new Apple font is like an overleaded Helvetica, prettier in graphical appearance but slower in practice to read, better than the current one from the point of view of having a font that looks good on screen and in ads, lousy from the point of view of actually using the computer. I can only hope they'll let us keep the old one . . . shouldn't be too hard if they're serious about a scalable UI and using vector support. But I probably should have taken iTunes 11 as a warning sign of where Apple were heading with this.

iOS8 I am very keen on. So much so that they *might* have done enough to get me to switch from Android, which I didn't think I'd ever consider. No real distinction on fonts here as both Apple and Google have fallen for the lure of the overcooked Helvetica, but in other areas it looks like Apple are serious about opening a real lead on Android for usability. Opening up the OS to extensions is fantastic; it solves one of the big problems for me on iOS, the lack of trace typing such as Swype. And in combination with the WiFi feature it might solve the other, the lack of user choice in tethering applications and configuration. If that one is solved as well, the iPhone will finally meet my needs without jailbreaking, and so I'll at last have an open choice between the two platforms. And just for kicks they went one better and added some decent configurability to the home page as well. So it's looking like a platform that can finally add competitiveness in features to its advantages in security and hardware.
  • Reply 82 of 141
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) My productivity has dropped significantly since installing Yosemite. Maybe my brain hasn't fully adopted to the new typeface or icons for being able to locate what I want through patterns but I think the real issue is with the translucency. I am still able to turn off the Menu Bar translucency but I there is way too much for my current liking at this point.

2) If you require VMWare Fusion it won't currently run under Yosemite. Also, I have an external drive with an eSATA-to-USB cable that isn't showing up I haven't yet tested it on another device to see if there is something wrong with it.
  • Reply 83 of 141
    Great update for Mac - and it's all free!
  • Reply 84 of 141
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Federighi should be running Apple. At least he knows to tuck the shirt in not like the other 4 Bozos who still think it's 2004.
  • Reply 85 of 141
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) My productivity has dropped significantly since installing Yosemite. Maybe my brain hasnt fully adopted to the new typeface or icons

I’m gonna miss Lucida Grande. :(

• Reply 86 of 141
    I’m gonna miss Lucida Grande. :(

But now you have Ariana Grande.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 87 of 141
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

But now you have Ariana Grande.

Bah. Imagine THOSE fonts as system standard. 

• Reply 88 of 141
    queuequeue Posts: 28member
    Duck Duck Go available as default web search engine? Priceless!
  • Reply 89 of 141
    Am I the only one who see this as the beginning of the merger between OS X and iOS?
  • Reply 90 of 141
    Am I the only one who see this as the beginning of the merger between OS X and iOS?

Oh, you're not the only one, but you're not correct. There is absolutely no way that a windowed UI will ever be the same UI as on an iOS-based iDevice, and vice versa. Even the iPad and iPhone have unique UIs despite both being based on CocoaTouch.
  • Reply 91 of 141
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

Oh, you're not the only one, but you're not correct. There is absolutely no way that a windowed UI will ever be the same UI as on an iOS-based iDevice, and vice versa. Even the iPad and iPhone have unique UIs despite both being based on CocoaTouch.

But it could happen, no? I suppose that Apple will figure out a way.

• Reply 92 of 141

How? Cocoa and CocoaTouch are still separate and the iPad and iPhone UIs are still separate and yet we're to expect Apple to be able to put the exact same UI as found on a Mac on an iPhone and vice versa? Not going to happen! Apple's goal is to build idealized UIs for each device that seamlessly interconnect with other, not to make one OS UI that is a compromise on every HW it's on. That's MS' goal and they're failing at it.
  • Reply 93 of 141
    Quote:

Quote:

How? Cocoa and CocoaTouch are still separate and the iPad and iPhone UIs are still separate and yet we're to expect Apple to be able to put the exact same UI as found on a Mac on an iPhone and vice versa? Not going to happen! Apple's goal is to build idealized UIs for each device that seamlessly interconnect with other, not to make one OS UI that is a compromise on every HW it's on. That's MS' goal and they're failing at it.

True. That sounds more logical than trying to merge everything together. 

• Reply 94 of 141
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

You means Windows 8? LOL

• Reply 95 of 141
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Hopefully looks better on Retina displays. Not so hot on a 1080p monitor
  • Reply 96 of 141
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    My biggest take away from this is that they've finally gotten rid if that God awful 3D dock.

I wonder how long it will take Adobe to butcher the new UI and bolt on an abortion of an interface?
  • Reply 97 of 141
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

I have to say iCloud Drive looks to be a huge leap forward in moving between devices — which is one of the things I've been looking for since installing Mavericks. 

I'm also, like some others here, not that keen on Helvetica as a font for OSX. I don't like it in documents and I won't like it on screen. It has just become so overused, like Times at 12 pt. Both ruined by all the amateur usage in Word documents. Still, I expect the look of the modern computer screen has become fixed as having a particular style — and that has converged on Helvetica. Maybe Ive could have put in a good word for Gill Sans.

Also agree that Federighi did an awesome job. Lots of charisma, tons of great jokes — some of which went by maybe a little too quickly.

• Reply 98 of 141

Jedem das seine: I like the new look of Yosemite.

Just disappointed that iTunes is still what it is. I hoped it would be broken down to several apps. Ah well. 

• Reply 99 of 141
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    slurpy wrote: »
    This x1000

The guy has stunningly good presentation skills, and seems like a genius to boot. Couldn't be happier that he now is in charge of both OSX and iOS. He basically owned the entire keynote. I can see this guy being Apple's next CEO, if he wants it. He certainly has the perspective, wisdom, and skills. The fact that Frederighini is given such a chance to shine is also a testament to Cook's leadership skills. 

Actually, compare Federighi to Satya Nadella and there is no comparison in their presentation styles. Federighi rules.
  • Reply 100 of 141
    Does anyone know the hardware requirements for Yosemite?

Glacial basin, approximately 3000 sq. km.