Apple announces OS X 10.10 Yosemite with new interface, enhanced apps & continuity

Comments

• Reply 121 of 141

How do you get in touch with Apple to give them feedback?  The thought of being stuck with Helvetica Neue instead of Lucida Grande is really bothering me from a legibility standpoint.  Mac is not supposed to have inferior typography to Windows.  Steve Jobs is probably rolling in his grave.  We're moving from a font that looks great on Retina and good on standard definition, to a font that looks barely OK on Retina and horrible on standard definition.  I at least want the option to stay put.  That surely shouldn't be too hard, right?

I've already had to "tame" Helvetica Neue on my iPad by choosing the bold version.  But on a desktop OS the font is far more significant.  Surely we ought to be able to choose.

• Reply 122 of 141
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I am glad they are complaining.  Did you see my first comment about Yosemite?  Translucency is horrible.  I am not a dev so I don't get the beta today; signed up for the public beta and didn't get an error that too many had signed up so I might make it into that program.  

Looking over things again, lots of the functionality looks great... There are some visual tweaks that I think are truly needed; options would be fine, but as is now it is not polished.  It's not as bad as iO7, but they are certainly going that way.  Too white.  Not enough separation between elements (mostly contrast).  This is just based on looking at Apple's site, so I will have to wait and see it in person.  Fortunately, I have a spare Mac mini just for testing purposes, so I am ready to go.

The new trash can reminds me of the Dark Lord from Star Wars (I'm a Trekkie so I'm not sure of exactly which SW character it is but the can looks evil!)...  How many multi-millionaires spent how long designing that thing?  Looking at the images on Apple's site, it just doesn't fit on the menu bar.

I'm confident your preferences settings will allow you to minimize translucency, just like in iOS.
  • Reply 123 of 141
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    andysol wrote: »
    I agree. If they sync up perfectly and seamlessly, there truly is no need to merge iOS and OSX. It's a perfect 1-2 punch currently.

I feel bad for people in the windows world... They just don't know how easy computing can and should be. Disk defragment... Really?

Apple has been coming at this form the two viable sides. One from using the same base code and using the same IDE so that developer only need to idealize the UI for each device type, and by making the experience more intuitive so that the user doesn't even rea
    I'm confident your preferences settings will allow you to minimize translucency, just like in iOS.

I have yet to find anything except for the Menu Bar translucency

• Reply 124 of 141
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I have yet to find anything except for the Menu Bar translucency

Drop ‘em a line and they’ll probably add it in a later beta.

• Reply 125 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

Am I the only one who see this as the beginning of the merger between OS X and iOS?

When Cook noted that combining a toaster and a fridge was a bad idea it wasn't just a jab at MS for getting it wrong.  Apple also knew what 'getting it right' looks like, and Continuity is it.  Integration and consistency of user experience is far different than trying to merge two OS's (which have different modalities and use cases they are tailored to address) without regard for whether the end result was good at doing either thing the separate offerings were intended for.

When Gatekeeper was announced I remember thinking that as far as a desktop OS goes, OSX was basically 'there' and that while this was a nice feature that there wasn't anything really 'left to do' other than minor tweaks and fixes and modest improvements.  Apple surprised and delighted me by showing/reminding us that they really get that any software, including an OS is a means to an end.  In Apple's view, that end is a fantastic user experience.  In MS's view, that end is selling Windows licenses.

So, no, they won't likely merge.  But I expect we'll see continued opening up of integration and seamlessness of experience.  Which is a win.

• Reply 126 of 141
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PopinFRESH View Post

Yep, Craig can. just re-watch the keynote and he demonstrates this about six times in various apps like finder, mail, safari, etc..

:)

-PopinFRESH

I have not watched the keynote. For some reason it does not load properly. Since you seem to know, could you describe in a few words how it works and, most importantly, if it is invasive/annoying?

• Reply 127 of 141

Hi All,

Like one early commenter, I have significant performance issues. I get the spinning ball on almost everything I do but particularly when switching apps. Its driving me nuts and will force me to switch back to Mavericks soon - something I want to avoid as I like Yosemite already for multiple reasons.

Is everyone experiencing this? I have an i7 MacBook pro (retina) with 8GB of memory and it doesn't looked like a performance issue if Activity Monitor is anything to go by.

If others are not experiencing this I might try a clean install.

Thanks

Cheers

Richard

• Reply 128 of 141
    popinfreshpopinfresh Posts: 145member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PB View Post

I have not watched the keynote. For some reason it does not load properly. Since you seem to know, could you describe in a few words how it works and, most importantly, if it is invasive/annoying?

Sure. The side bar of things like Mail, Finder, Reminders, etc.. is translucent (like smoked glass) similar to Control Center on iOS 7. I don't find it invasive or annoying, its like it's white but translucent enough to pickup the color behind it. The top bar "menu" bar in things like Mail, Safari, Reminders, etc.. is similar but imagine a solid white sheet under the content of the window and then the smoked glass on top of that. So that when you slide the content up "under" the "menu" bar picks up the color from the content. Again, I don't personally find this invasive or annoying. It definitely brings OS X inline with iOS's new UI elements. They demoed (at least for the contextual menu bar) a Dark Mode that basically made the context menu look like black smoked glass (so a dark grey translucent look) instead of a white smoked glass.

If you ever used Windows Vista, the translucency is similar to Aero Glass but without the stupid fake looking "gloss sheen" lines. This should help you watch the Keynote so you can judge for your self.

To watch it on any iOS 6 or later device just go to this link on the device

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2014/

To watch on a PC you'll need to make sure you have the latest update to Quicktime installed and the plugin active in your browser. So download Quicktime from the following link and then close out of all your browsers while you install it. Then proceed to the link to the Keynote on Apple.com

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2014/

Or you can watch it on YouTube which should work for you without Quicktime.

-PopinFRESH

• Reply 129 of 141
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member

Great, thank you so much PopinFRESH! :)

• Reply 130 of 141
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I have significant performance issues. I get the spinning ball on almost everything I do but particularly when switching apps.

Try booting in safe mode holding shift at startup and see if it still does it there. Safe mode will flush out your caches and OS X will rebuild them when you reboot again.
  • Reply 131 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

How do you get in touch with Apple to give them feedback?  The thought of being stuck with Helvetica Neue instead of Lucida Grande is really bothering me from a legibility standpoint.  Mac is not supposed to have inferior typography to Windows.  Steve Jobs is probably rolling in his grave.  We're moving from a font that looks great on Retina and good on standard definition, to a font that looks barely OK on Retina and horrible on standard definition.  I at least want the option to stay put.  That surely shouldn't be too hard, right?

I've already had to "tame" Helvetica Neue on my iPad by choosing the bold version.  But on a desktop OS the font is far more significant.  Surely we ought to be able to choose.

I'm assuming you have a developer membership and are running the OS X 10.10 Developer Preview. If so you will want to login to your developer account and go to the bugtracker / feature request section. I've included the link which should prompt you to login and then continue to the relevant page.

https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/mac/

-PopinFRESH

• Reply 132 of 141
    Hi All,

Like one early commenter, I have significant performance issues. I get the spinning ball on almost everything I do but particularly when switching apps. Its driving me nuts and will force me to switch back to Mavericks soon - something I want to avoid as I like Yosemite already for multiple reasons.

Is everyone experiencing this? I have an i7 MacBook pro (retina) with 8GB of memory and it doesn't looked like a performance issue if Activity Monitor is anything to go by.

If others are not experiencing this I might try a clean install
    Richard

I accessed the video on the Apple site - no problem. My MBP is so old that it runs off of coal, so don't know what you may be having going on. I've NEVER Had to do a clean install and I've been Maccing along since the 128k Mac in 1894. Probably need to zap your PRAM.
  • Reply 133 of 141
    But it could happen, no? I suppose that Apple will figure out a way.

It has nothing to do with "figuring out a way". It's a dumb idea and Apple is not up for dumb ideas.
  • Reply 134 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I accessed the video on the Apple site - no problem. My MBP is so old that it runs off of coal, so don't know what you may be having going on. I've NEVER Had to do a clean install and I've been Maccing along since the 128k Mac in 1894. Probably need to zap your PRAM.

He was talking about running the OS X 10.10 Developer Preview, not watching the video. A lot of people are having this same issue upgrading from Mavericks -> Yosemite. A lot of them are having more success doing a clean install of Yosemite, but there are still lots of bugs.

Also, I know Apple is innovative but I'm pretty sure they didn't make a computer before Mr. Ford made Cars affordable. Unless, your real name is Martin McFly? :)

-PopinFRESH

• Reply 135 of 141
    Looks Great - Works Great = IT JUST WORKS !
  • Reply 136 of 141
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Hi All,

If others are not experiencing this I might try a clean install.

You didn't mention checking Disk Utility. Before my installation of Yosemite my system was fine, but after I had many blocks with incorrect counts. Had to ?-R and Repair Disk. Note: I wasn't having any specific issues before that, I just checked as a preemptive measure of using Developer Previews.
  • Reply 137 of 141

Turns out it was Little Snitch causing my issues. There is now a nightly build that is compatible with Yosemite but I have not tried it - uninstalling Little Snitch did the trick.

• Reply 138 of 141

It was Little Snitch causing the problems in my case. Uninstalled and performance is MUCH better. There is a compatible nightly build apparently but I haven't tried it.

• Reply 139 of 141
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by richardhowes View Post

It was Little Snitch causing the problems in my case.

Oh yeah. They totally break network access every time a new OS is released.

• Reply 140 of 141
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Can't wait to get back from Ala
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Do you really want to come back? Alaska is one of those places I've always wanted to visit.

It is beautiful ... :) It was just that I'd never been so far away from high speed internet during a WWDC before (since there has been high speed internet that is ...)