First look: Apple's new aesthetic for OS X Yosemite

Comments

• Reply 41 of 168
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Rogers View Post

Just how many Computer Science Departments at US universities (or reputable international ones) will actually offer accredited classes in Swift as part of a CS or Engineering degree curriculum? Yeah, I seriously doubt it.

If the CS/CIS departments have done their jobs, the students will have learned how to program and develop software (which are not the same thing) and should be able to easily adapt to new languages to solve the task at hand.  The difference between education and training.

• Reply 42 of 168
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Just remember that the resulting color of the translucency depends on the color of the background underneath. People who say they like the new effect may not say so if the desktop background changes. Even a nice looking desktop background may not combine well with transparent white window elements and the extreme blur effect that is being used. The blurring also creates large splotches of gray, pink and turquoise on the screen.
  • Reply 43 of 168
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    red rogers wrote: »
    I wish Apple would finally end this Sturm und Drang aesthetic metamorphosis and get on with revamping major parts of the OS. What I keep hoping for is another Leopard- Snow Leopard release cycle, catching - and surpassing - competing operating systems in core technologies. Instead, Apple seems to be focussing on window dressing and extensions, and less on major components that need updating or overhaul, like the woeful file system, kludgy Finder, and awkward networking. Losing focus, Apple.

Amazing. One year they focus on the unpinning without much change to the GUI and people like you claim Apple hasn't done anything with Mac OS X, but then the next release when they do revamp its look and people like you then complain that Apple isn't updating anything else.

I don't know what WWDC you were watching but I saw an amazing 2 hour presentation that devoted plenty of time to go over many Mac OS X changes, including increasing their already substantial lead in integrating the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Mac into a more unified and seamless system. There is a long way to go (based on what science fiction tells me) but they are so far ahead of the competition that it's not even funny.
  • Reply 44 of 168
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Services? Yawn. They have been around for quite a while in OS X and still most people don't use them. Interoperability with iOS devices and OS X? Yeah, OK, I think they have been calling that convergence for a couple decades now. Still, I don't see that much to get excited over, yet.

Let's read what John Siracusa writes about Yosemite in a few months - then we'll have the final verdict.

Can't create your own intelligent assessment? People who rely on John to discuss the vast changes of OS X really strike me as inept with its technologies.

• Reply 45 of 168
    frxntierfrxntier Posts: 97member
    crowley wrote: »
    Moving the Spotlight window seems really strange to me. The click area with the magnifying glass is still top right, right? So they've made the window pop up in a completely different place to where you click, which seems like bad UI to me. I realise you can keyboard launch and browse Spotlight too, but I don't really see that as an excuse, there's no new functionality in Spotlight that demands it be in the centre of the screen.

To be clear, the improved Spotlight seems great and I look forward to using it, I just question the wisdom in moving the window.

Bad UI? Click an app in the dock. It opens in the centre of the screen. Click the notification centre icon. It opens a panel to the left. Everything does what it's designed to do. Having the new Spotlight interface open in the top right would be worse UI. Its not just a menu anymore. It's almost an app. Yet it's not. It's completely new. Just something to get used to. Certainly not 'bad UI'.
  • Reply 46 of 168
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Apple is losing focus of the core functionalities of its desktop OS. Despite the recent release of the MacPro, OS X continues to be subsumed by iOS in many (every?) way(s). iCloud will replace local storage, eventually, and the Mac will devolve to just another iDevice if these trends continue.

I, for one, don't want that to happen.

Boiling frog alert.

Wow.

If you think the demise of the desktop PC is something that should never happen and needs to be prevented, you're lost in the 1980s or something.  I expect that 5-10 years from now it's very possible that most household will have no desktop PCs and no laptops and they will be more productive and connected and happy than they are now.  Technology advances and yesterday's keynote convinced me (and many others here) that Apple really gets it.  They introduced dozens of new strategies and technologies that are all forward looking.  To suggest that they have lost their vision or are hung up on UI eye candy today is pure ignorance.  It is a great time to be a developer and we will see some amazing stuff in the coming months as people get on board Apple's vision.

As to your earlier comment about Swift.  Give me a break.  I downloaded the book last night and it's exactly what they described--all the power of Objective-C without the C baggage.  Anyone who learned Objective-C (and millions of people did, just do develop for iOS) will have no trouble picking up Swift.  And new people to the iOS development community will have a much easier time learning Swift instead of Objective-C.

• Reply 47 of 168
    initiatorinitiator Posts: 104member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstexas View Post

Ivy is GREATLY overrated as a UI designer.

Could not agree more. He is an excellent product designer, but terrible at UI. I HATED iOS7, but Yosemite is beyond words. It is HORRIBLE. It looks amateurish and cartoonish. Unfortunately, Ive is in a position now that he can do anything he wants, and no one is going to stop him.

• Reply 48 of 168
    I vehemently disagree with the choice of typography on these OS redesigns. This is something that Steve Jobs would NOT have done, but more importantly it's something that's not easy to read, which is why he would not have done it. Ive knows good graphics a mile off, but mistakes text for another graphical element without acknowledging the basic reality that people have to read the stuff.

Lucida Grande was thought about, carefully. Probably the only case of type selection that is similarly high profile over the past decade is the new Federal Highway Administration font, which is similarly extremely legible, even if not necessarily the prettiest from a graphical standpoint, and because of that legibility it is very easy on the eyes. Helvetica Neue is a display font, not a text font -- it's meant for advertising and for graphical effect. It flunks in usability.
    What are you talking about?

The same font has been used since 2007! The first iPhone used Helvetica, and it never changed. What the hell do you mean Steve Jobs wouldn't have done it? HE DID DO IT!

Helvetica is one of the most common fonts in the world. I don't know how you could suggest it 'flunks' usability. Tell that to the hundreds of millions of iOS users who, according to you, must have difficulty using their devices because of the font.

Also, you've confused the term display with 'headline' and 'text' with 'body.' In any case, Helvetica was designed in the 50s to be as legible as possible at all type sizes.

The use of Lucida Grande is not a 'high profile type case.' You just made that up, because it's ridiculous.

Don't just say things that you made up because you think they could be true. Do some research.
  • Reply 49 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xgman View Post

So far I see a hot mess. I'm sure that will improve over time, but I really expected this would be a little further along by now.

Agreed. It looks like a rush job. I'm hoping they'll hear some of the negative feedback and make some alterations. I won't hold my breath. I like the features, but this UI is just god awful.

• Reply 50 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Moving the Spotlight window seems really strange to me. The click area with the magnifying glass is still top right, right? So they've made the window pop up in a completely different place to where you click, which seems like bad UI to me. I realise you can keyboard launch and browse Spotlight too, but I don't really see that as an excuse, there's no new functionality in Spotlight that demands it be in the centre of the screen.

To be clear, the improved Spotlight seems great and I look forward to using it, I just question the wisdom in moving the window.

I was thinking the same thing. If anything, I'd think it could be a preference. You could have the new window, but still have it drop down from the menu bar. Otherwise, it is bad UI design. Maybe you could have an option to use the standard search or clicking an icon in the drop down would give the expanded separate window search.

• Reply 51 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Panu View Post

Why is Apple continuing with the only UI they have ever produced that is controversial? When have Mac users ever complained of eye pain and unreadability before? This is all unprecedented.

Why? Because Jony Ive felt like it. F**K users. They get whatever he gives them.

In fact, given his minimal tendencies of late, I'm surprised he actually left any colors, or any icons. At some point, it will just be a blank white screen. Users will have to guess where to mouse over to do something and then items will appear. Don't you know, it's all about simplicity and cleanliness. You can't have objects dirtying things up.

Ugh.

• Reply 52 of 168
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

I have my copy of Mac OS X and iOS Internals right here, just in case.

No you don't

Don't you want to not get banned before September and October- when you can really troll?

• Reply 53 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frxntier View Post

Bad UI? Click an app in the dock. It opens in the centre of the screen. Click the notification centre icon. It opens a panel to the left. Everything does what it's designed to do. Having the new Spotlight interface open in the top right would be worse UI. Its not just a menu anymore. It's almost an app. Yet it's not. It's completely new. Just something to get used to. Certainly not 'bad UI'.

I respectfully disagree. Historically, ALL items in the menu bar are designed to drop down. Notification center is a weird anomoly. If the new Spotlight is really an app, fine. Put it in the dock like the Finder icon. Then, its behavior would make sense.

• Reply 54 of 168
    Thank you Apple. Apparently we didn't scream loud enough over these silly flat icons in iOS7, so you are giving us another chance to rage on with Yosemite.
  • Reply 55 of 168
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by initiator View Post

Could not agree more. He is an excellent product designer, but terrible at UI. I HATED iOS7, but Yosemite is beyond words. It is HORRIBLE. It looks amateurish and cartoonish. Unfortunately, Ive is in a position now that he can do anything he wants, and no one is going to stop him.

Better watch your language and not criticize Apple or its employees. You might make some around here think you're anti-Apple and getting paid by some big conglomerate to post here. Then they'll call you names and tell you to shut the F up. Btw, I agree with you 100%!!

• Reply 56 of 168
    initiator wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing. If anything, I'd think it could be a preference. You could have the new window, but still have it drop down from the menu bar. Otherwise, it is bad UI design. Maybe you could have an option to use the standard search or clicking an icon in the drop down would give the expanded separate window search.
    1) Adding a preference is ridiculous when no one would use it.
    2) Adding an extra click is very bad UX. There is no need to add an extra click when you could present the same information in the first place. This is just basic UX stuff.

I fail to see how the current implementation is 'bad UI', or that your suggestions improve on it rather than make it worse.
  • Reply 57 of 168
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

Better watch your language and not criticize Apple or its employees. You might make some around here think you're anti-Apple and getting paid by some big conglomerate to post here. Then they'll call you names and tell you to shut the F up. Btw, I agree with you 100%!!

It's exactly the same as with Windows 8 when people criticize it too.

• Reply 58 of 168
    initiator wrote: »

I respectfully disagree. Historically, ALL items in the menu bar are designed to drop down. Notification center is a weird anomoly. If the new Spotlight is really an app, fine. Put it in the dock like the Finder icon. Then, its behavior would make sense.

Well, hang on. If notification centre is allowed to be a 'weird anomaly' why can't Spotlight also? The spotlight icon can't simply be moved, as users expect it there. The window it produces also works so much better in the centre.

If it was me I would CONSIDER adding an animation on the window so that it scales out of the icon. Or change the look of the icon. There are plenty of ways to refine the interface. Suggesting that it should drop down because that's what all menu icons do, is not only an ill-conceived suggestion, but it's actually NOT what all menu icons do - notification centre being one of them.
  • Reply 59 of 168
    panupanu Posts: 135member

Well, we can put our reactions on http://www.apple.com/feedback ;

It helps to vent. And who knows, maybe someone will read it and care.

• Reply 60 of 168
    gary deezy wrote: »
    Thank you Apple. Apparently we didn't scream loud enough over these silly flat icons in iOS7, so you are giving us another chance to rage on with Yosemite.
    The icons in Yosemite aren't 'flat'.