Apple's iPhone retains U.S. smartphone marketshare lead as Samsung gains ground

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
In the three months ending in April, Apple's iPhone remains the top smartphone in the U.S. with over 41 percent marketshare, but subscribership contracted slightly as rival Samsung's grew over the same period.

The latest statistics from market research firm comScore were released on Tuesday and show Apple ranked as the No. 1 smartphone manufacturer in the U.S. by subscriber marketshare during the three months ending in April.

Apple's various iPhone models raked in 41.4 percent of smartphone users, though the number was down 0.2 points from the quarter ending in January. Rival handset maker Samsung grew its share of the American market by 1 percent over the same period, ending with a 27.7 percent marketshare.

Trailing Apple and Samsung was LG with 6.5 percent of the market, Motorola with 6.3 percent and HTC with 5.3 percent. All three OEMs saw declines in user base over the three-month interval.

Google's Android operating system once again topped the list in April with 52.5 percent of the market, up 0.8 percent from the January period. Apple came in second with 41.4 percent, while Microsoft's Windows platforms came in with 3.3 percent. Blackberry and Symbian rounded out the top five with 2.5 percent and 0.2 percent of the market, respectively.

comScore found 167.9 people owned a smartphone in the U.S. over the three-month period, equating to a 69.6 percent mobile market penetration. The number is up 5 percent compared to the January quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    HTC, LG and Motorola are doomed lol
  • Reply 2 of 68
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Not bad, considering these three months included the release of Samsung's and HTC's flagship smartphones...
  • Reply 3 of 68
    Great positive news for Apple, in latest shocker and appaling news for Android which can't make any significant inroads into market hawking current crop of excrement from "leading" Android vendors, Apple's notoriously down quarter for iPhone sales after Christmas shopping season basically flat, bodes well for stellar rest of year leading into new products for Fall. I can hear it now "what! arggggg how is it possible our new HTC and Samsung phones are not racing out the doors?" hmm I wonder ! No doubt they will resort to discounting and scrambling to add stupid features in a pathetic attempt to sell more phones and for the Fandroids to jerk off upon and deride Apple for not having right thru the summer!
  • Reply 4 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Listened to Andy Ihnatko today on MacBreak Weekly. The subject of Apple being declared ‘doomed’ by various analysts and commentators came up. The entire panel, including Leo LaPort, agreed that these people are laughable and to be made fun of. Both Ihnatko and LaPort said if the promises of iOS 8 and a larger screen iPhone are realized they would no longer have any reason to continue using Android devices. From LaPort that’s saying something.

• Reply 5 of 68
    Is Microsoft a rounding error! Sorry I had to take a cheap shot, couldn't resist it! 3.1 -> 3.2% in 3 months whoa, way to go
  • Reply 6 of 68
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Listened to Andy Ihnatko today on MacBreak Weekly. The subject of Apple being declared ‘doomed’ by various analysts and commentators came up. The entire panel, including Leo LaPort, agreed that these people are laughable and to be made fun of. Both Ihnatko and LaPort said if the promises of iOS 8 and a larger screen iPhone are realized they would no longer have any reason to continue using Android devices. From LaPort that’s saying something.

All the people I know with Android phones would be using iPhone's if the screen was larger. If Apple does in fact release a larger screen iPhone, they are going to gain millions of people switching over from Android. 

• Reply 7 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

All the people I know with Android phones would be using iPhone's if the screen was larger. If Apple does in fact release a larger screen iPhone, they are going to gain millions of people switching over from Android. 

That might be true but they would also lose a bunch of users too. I for one like the current size screen. Being able to hold and use the phone with one hand is very important to me. If the only iPhones available with smaller screens are last years models then I won’t be buying any iPhone. My wife and I have held off moving to smartphones. This is supposed to be the year we make the jump. Maybe not. I don’t want to be holding some big brick to my ear.

• Reply 8 of 68
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Larger iPhone = Knockout punch from Apple.

Add that attack to Android's weaknesses: lack of 64bit support, fragmented "business friendly" security model, and Google's generally ad-mongering ways, and I can see a whole ton of folks in my office with a new iPhone this fall, including me (been waiting for touchID for a year).
  • Reply 9 of 68
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Quote:

That might be true but they would also lose a bunch of users too. I for one like the current size screen. Being able to hold and use the phone with one hand is very important to me. If the only iPhones available with smaller screens are last years models then I won’t be buying any iPhone. My wife and I have held off moving to smartphones. This is supposed to be the year we make the jump. Maybe not. I don’t want to be holding some big brick to my ear.

Smartphone market penetration is so high that I doubt you're a very common case.

If Apple does leave smaller screen sizes behind, it will be interesting to see whether Samsung etc. try to take advantage.

But I suspect that most  Apple customers will continue to believe that Apple's making the right sized screens, whatever that size happens to be this year. 

• Reply 10 of 68
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    According to the comScore MobiLens data, Apple had 27.8% of all US cellphone subscribers in January, and 28.8% in April. Their share of people grew as much as usual. The fact that their share of the "Smartphone Market" shrunk slightly just means they didn't grow quite as fast as feature phones are disappearing.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member

I just learned today that my own friggin' Mom just bought a Note 3! I feel so betrayed. I don't want that thing in my house.

It was so against my advice; she just couldn't wait. All of her friends have one and she followed their advice. It was all about the bigger screen. First my mother-in-law and now her.

On the bright side, if something goes wrong with it, I'll can send her to the Samsung Mensa Bar...oh, wait....:D

• Reply 12 of 68
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    lkrupp wrote: »

Yeah, bullshit. They'll find something else to bitch about. Google will have something new by then and they'll use that as an excuse to stick with Android. They're both trolls, especially ihnatko.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

That is where I'm interested in handling the 4.7" variant. If they're not going to transition the 5s form forward than the 4.7 will need to feel right and I have expectations it will as Apple doesn't strike me as completely committed to BIG, hence the two sizes of the rumored 6. Though it's more about portability for me as I make so few voice calls I keep questioning why I even bother (versus an LTE mini) and it's the pocket size keeps me with a phone.

For my large screen real-estate needs I've got an Air and others probably a mini so....

• Reply 14 of 68
    Quote:

I highly doubt Apple will lose very many people going from a 4" screen to the rumored 4.7" screen. You can still easily hold a 4.7" phone in one hand. I don't think Apple is going to make a new 4" phone. 

• Reply 15 of 68
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Smartphone market penetration is so high that I doubt you're a very common case.

If Apple does leave smaller screen sizes behind, it will be interesting to see whether Samsung etc. try to take advantage.

But I suspect that most  Apple customers will continue to believe that Apple's making the right sized screens, whatever that size happens to be this year. 

I'm sure some people will complain if Apple makes only one iPhone model and it's bigger than the current one. The big question is whether they'll switch to a different platform if that happens. I think not because even the "mini" versions of Android phones are bigger than the current iPhone and they tend to be crippled from a specifications standpoint.

• Reply 16 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

That is where I'm interested in handling the 4.7" variant. If they're not going to transition the 5s form forward than the 4.7 will need to feel right and I have expectations it will as Apple doesn't strike me as completely committed to BIG, hence the two sizes of the rumored 6. Though it's more about portability for me as I make so few voice calls I keep questioning why I even bother (versus an LTE mini) and it's the pocket size keeps me with a phone.

For my large screen real-estate needs I've got an Air and others probably a mini so....

It will be interesting to see what happens. Will Apple still keep the 4s around or drop that and just keep the two new sized iPhones and the 5c? 

• Reply 17 of 68
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

We're only talking about rumors, after all, strengthening though they may be as release nears.

People are suggesting that Apple would move all production to the new size,

but I don't see why the rumor of a larger model precludes keeping the current form factor as well,

a design for which Apple always had very cogent justification.

My daughter, whose existence, as nearly as I can tell, revolves around her iPhone (to the exclusion of

her MacBook and iPad(s) ), would certainly switch.

Conversely I, inveterate geezer that I am,

while having increasing difficulty even seeing that much detail on my iPhone screen,

except to marvel at my apparent lack of photographic expertise,

might very well not switch, for the oft-stated 'hand-' and 'pocket-' reasons...

?(that might not have come out quite right?):embarrass

• Reply 18 of 68
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Don't worry, all those new Samsung buyers will be in an iPhone next time! :D
  • Reply 19 of 68
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    2.2% YoY gain. Pretty good trend.

Too bad AI does not the next step in digging up last years data.
  • Reply 20 of 68
    ggfggf Posts: 42member
    bregalad wrote: »
    I'm sure some people will complain if Apple makes only one iPhone model and it's bigger than the current one. The big question is whether they'll switch to a different platform if that happens. I think not because even the "mini" versions of Android phones are bigger than the current iPhone and they tend to be crippled from a specifications standpoint.

I am one of the people that prefers the smaller size. I have a 2 year contract with my carrier and have upgraded on a 2 year cycle. I prefer the size of the 4 but the 5 was ok so I upgraded. I am out of contract in September or October. If Apple brings out only larger phones I will likely not upgrade and will stay with my iphone 5 until it will no longer support the latest version of the operating system. Apple will get a boost from Android switchers who are fixated on screen size but will lose a bunch of upgrades from people like me.

For me the latest features are not enough to drive an upgrade if the size is not right. I suspect there are many like me. Given that the smartphone market is starting to move toward saturation (at least in the developed world) I think this behaviour will be noticed by the carriers who are keen to lock people in using the upgrade cycle and the message will get back to apple. If as I suspect Apple does leave some upgraders by the wayside it will address the issue before the 5 becomes obsolete and will no longer run the latest version of the operating system.

I would even be happy with an upgraded version of the iPhone 4/4s form factor if it would guarantee my compatibility with ios 8,9,10 and a few of the key technologies like the fingerprint scanner