First look: Apple's new aesthetic for OS X Yosemite

Comments

• Reply 81 of 168
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Rogers View Post

For a "cynic" you sure sound like the marketing department at Apple. I do want to ask you one question:

Just how many Computer Science Departments at US universities (or reputable international ones) will actually offer accredited classes in Swift as part of a CS or Engineering degree curriculum? Yeah, I seriously doubt it.

thats one of the dumbest things ive ever read on AI. as if university courses were the metric of platform worth! dunno about you but my com sci dept didnt teach C#, they taught C++. because the basic ideas of computer science are what you learn, not the implementation of a new language on the market. it takes years to change curriculums... 

• Reply 82 of 168
    Quote:

Let's read what John Siracusa writes about Yosemite in a few months - then we'll have the final verdict.

yes, because forming your own opinions is hard.

• Reply 83 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Panu View Post

Apple does not use Mail internally, they use Outlook, which means they use Outlook Exchange running on Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2.

I joked with an Apple Store employee that Apple uses PCs with Windows in Cupertino. I expected her to laugh dismissively. Instead, she looked worried and said, quietly, "I hope not."

...that is the second dumbest thing ive ever read on AI. so because you asked a retail employee what corporate uses, and she answered in a flat tone because she was undoubtedly tired of your conversation and wanted to end it sooner than later, you presumed that to be...worry? and then surmised they run windows/outlook? yyyyeah.....

• Reply 84 of 168
    Quote:

Despite the recent release of the MacPro, OS X continues to be subsumed by iOS in many (every?) way(s). iCloud will replace local storage, eventually, and the Mac will devolve to just another iDevice if these trends continue.

newsflash -- apple makes the vast majority of their income from ios and idevices, not os x and macs. of course they focus on it.

and no, icloud will not replace local storage. storage gets cheaper and faster all the time. please see history.

• Reply 85 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

This is something that Steve Jobs would NOT have done,

oh lord, still? repeat after me:

"I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT STEVE JOBS WOULD DO."

"I NEVER EVEN MET THE MAN, AND I DON'T KNOW HIM AT ALL."

"I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT STEVE JOBS WOULD DO...."

seriously. get over yourself, youre not a ghost talker. 

• Reply 86 of 168
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    initiator wrote: »
    Why? Because Jony Ive felt like it. F**K users. They get whatever he gives them.

In fact, given his minimal tendencies of late, I'm surprised he actually left any colors, or any icons. At some point, it will just be a blank white screen. Users will have to guess where to mouse over to do something and then items will appear. Don't you know, it's all about simplicity and cleanliness. You can't have objects dirtying things up.

Ugh.

Perhaps the real reason is that relatively few people actually dislike it.
  • Reply 87 of 168
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    oh lord, still? repeat after me:

"I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT STEVE JOBS WOULD DO."
    "I NEVER EVEN MET THE MAN, AND I DON'T KNOW HIM AT ALL."
    "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT STEVE JOBS WOULD DO...."

seriously. get over yourself, youre not a ghost talker. 

I wish people would show a little more consideration and put the tired "Steve wouldn't have done this" meme at the start of the post. Then folk would know straight away that everything that follows is drivel.
  • Reply 88 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AlmondRoca View Post

One day (one day) we'll get a new Finder. It's good to see Apple paying attention to window dressings though. 

likely not as important to customers as you think it is. im a software dev, im often running VMs of my dev environments, and ive spent zero time thinking about the finder. my work is my work. not worrying about the finder, or the file system, or icons. i imagine it's even less important to the average people who comprise the paying mac customer base. they arent computer scientists and they dont care either.

• Reply 89 of 168
    frxntierfrxntier Posts: 97member
    bao babus wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Well, they do their job - spend "millions of dollars" to make whatever they did.</span>

I make my job - just ignore their job if I don't like it.
    And please take care of yourself - Internet forums may affect your health if you easily feel sick when reading what you don't like...
    I don't understand what you're saying in relation to what your job has to do with 'their' job.

I didn't say I felt sick because I didn't like it. I felt sick because it wasn't logical. And I didn't feel sick physically. I felt sick mentally, as in repulsed.

To reiterate, what kind of a spastic question is 'Do you think they REALLY liked the new look?' If you want to have an opinion, at least put it into a cohesive argument instead of writing random words down and hoping they'll end up meaning something.
  • Reply 90 of 168
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

...that is the second dumbest thing ive ever read on AI. so because you asked a retail employee what corporate uses, and she answered in a flat tone because she was undoubtedly tired of your conversation and wanted to end it sooner than later, you presumed that to be...worry? and then surmised they run windows/outlook? yyyyeah.....

Since you were there, you can tell that she was tired of the conversation because she continued it for quite some time after that joke. Whatever corporate uses, the stores use. There are several ways to verify that they use Outlook. First, there was an optical disk on the genius bar labeled "Store Use Only" that was not supposed to be out of the back room. Second, an Apple employee strongly implied it when we were talking on the phone. Third, there are little problems in Mail that wouldn't exist if Apple were using it. It doesn't surprise me, because Apple's web site isn't even running on OS X.

• Reply 91 of 168
    almondrocaalmondroca Posts: 179member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlmondRoca View Post

One day (one day) we'll get a new Finder. It's good to see Apple paying attention to window dressings though. 

Quote:

likely not as important to customers as you think it is. im a software dev, im often running VMs of my dev environments, and ive spent zero time thinking about the finder. my work is my work. not worrying about the finder, or the file system, or icons. i imagine it's even less important to the average people who comprise the paying mac customer base. they arent computer scientists and they dont care either.

I think you're second sentence nullified your first sentence. End users are different from developers, even though devs will swear they know how customers use software. Developers also believe they know what features and UI enhancements customers want, over and above what the rest of R&D understands. I run VMs with dev environments too.

All users can benefit from a more modern Finder, not just  "computer scientists".

• Reply 92 of 168
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    frxntier wrote: »
    Bad UI? Click an app in the dock. It opens in the centre of the screen. Click the notification centre icon. It opens a panel to the left. Everything does what it's designed to do. Having the new Spotlight interface open in the top right would be worse UI. Its not just a menu anymore. It's almost an app. Yet it's not. It's completely new. Just something to get used to. Certainly not 'bad UI'.
    I don't really agree that Spotlight is an app, it's a function that you dip quickly into and then close straight away when you're done. It's more widget-like than app-like. Even if you were right, if Spotlight is an app proper then it should be in the dock, not the menu bar. Menu bar items by and large open up menus where you click them.

Notification Centre opens a panel on the right, close to where you click.
  • Reply 93 of 168
    red yellow green button,,,,, hummmm, NEVER seen that one before!!! NOT
  • Reply 94 of 168
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    crowley wrote: »
    I don't really agree that Spotlight is an app, it's a function that you dip quickly into and then close straight away when you're done. It's more widget-like than app-like. Even if you were right, if Spotlight is an app proper then it should be in the dock, not the menu bar. Menu bar items by and large open up menus where you click them.

Notification Centre opens a panel on the right, close to where you click.

Based your definition Time Machine also isn't an app because it's in the Menu Bar but not in the Dock. The .app file is under Applications but that doesn't ever propagate in the Dock; when it's called it does something unique, like Spotlight. Alfred, the app that looks very much like the new Spotlight, also gets called the same way and doesn't live in your Dock and yet it's very much an app.

Furthermore, you can go into /System/Library/CoreServices/ to find Spotlight.app.

Personally, I would refer Spotlight as a systemwide service but that's just a specific way or referring to that app.
  • Reply 95 of 168
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    red rogers wrote: »
    I don't know, you sound pretty self-righteous to me.

No, just one post so far. But you are definitely leading the way now....

Actually, a few others have explicitly or implicitly agreed with me. Maybe you should go back and read the other posts in the thread.

I'm fairly certain that you are getting emotional and all worked up.

No, not true. But you're on a roll.

I personally think you might want to take a more sober look at your own comments.

No, I haven't. On a scale of 1-10 as far as Apple-bashing goes, I think my comments don't even register. But you are obviously very thin-skinned.

As for whether my posts make me a disgusting human, well, I hope you get help. Soon. 

More ad Hominum attacks. Still no answer to the question...
  • Reply 96 of 168
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    iaeen wrote: »
    Still no answer to the question...

He has no interest in engaging in a real conversation.
  • Reply 97 of 168
    Quote:

yes, because forming your own opinions is hard.

Apparently, as you seem to have nothing to contribute except attacks on me personally. Are logic courses offered at your high school?

• Reply 98 of 168
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:

I wish Apple would finally end this Sturm und Drang aesthetic metamorphosis and get on with revamping major parts of the OS. What I keep hoping for is another Leopard- Snow Leopard release cycle, catching - and surpassing - competing operating systems in core technologies. Instead, Apple seems to be focussing on window dressing and extensions, and less on major components that need updating or overhaul, like the woeful file system, kludgy Finder, and awkward networking. Losing focus, Apple.

Mavericks had huge under-the-hood changes, and they are set to continue in Yosemite. Apple are set to enrich the coding language of the entire operating system, and have added a raft of new API's. The UI changes are the least of what they are doing.

• Reply 99 of 168
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm glad that we can at least agree that the Android-using masses are definitely in need of some better personal hygiene.

Hey!!! I resemble that remark ;)
  • Reply 100 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

More ad Hominum attacks. Still no answer to the question...

ad hominem. Third declension noun, accusative case, singular (number).

I was responding to the personal attacks against me, which you are only interested in making.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

He has no interest in engaging in a real conversation.

No chance of catching up to your 16,804 nuggets of wisdom any time soon. How actually did you make an average of 542 posts to one website per day in 31 months?

Yes, and your other comments were so insightful as well.