Apple's iPhone retains U.S. smartphone marketshare lead as Samsung gains ground

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 68
    bobbyfozzbobbyfozz Posts: 97member

    Lately I have seen a number of women with those frigging monster phones up to their ear. They look like complete idiots and I would be willing to bet they have never seen themselves in a photo with such a brick next to their head. Some are so fashion conscious they couldn't possibly believe they look so stupid! It's like a gigantic ear-muff, one half of one.

     

    Some dweeby guys use that big-assed phone too. Is the whole world that way? Probably not. Whatever happened to "inconspicuous?"

     

    But, all in all, even here in the "backwards" midwest, I see a lot of iPhones being used by anyone with a few dollars in their pockets. I think Google or Samsung think too much of those phones with a million features on them. Most don't know their phone that well or prefer to not spend ALL their time on one.

     

    Business is one thing, using a phone as a toy is something else.

  • Reply 22 of 68
    jbcarojbcaro Posts: 47member
    How can Samsung not increase their share when they promote by drastically reduced pricing and BOGO sales. They may have a lot of phones out there but the money bleed has to hurt after a while.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

     

    All the people I know with Android phones would be using iPhone's if the screen was larger. If Apple does in fact release a larger screen iPhone, they are going to gain millions of people switching over from Android. 


     

    That might be true but they would also lose a bunch of users too. I for one like the current size screen. Being able to hold and use the phone with one hand is very important to me. If the only iPhones available with smaller screens are last years models then I won’t be buying any iPhone. My wife and I have held off moving to smartphones. This is supposed to be the year we make the jump. Maybe not. I don’t want to be holding some big brick to my ear.


    I feel same as you. But I have not seen anything to suggest (really) that existing iPhone screen size was going to cease. I hope it will not.

    (Of course, no final judgements until I see the new 4.7" unit.)

  • Reply 24 of 68
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Apple has the manufacturing infrastructure to offer the current form factor and these upcoming factors, period.
  • Reply 25 of 68
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    pdq2 wrote: »
    Not bad, considering these three months included the release of Samsung's and HTC's flagship smartphones...

    What's weird is... Samsung launches a flagship and their market share goes up a tiny bit in the US.

    But HTC launches a flagship and their market share goes down a tiny bit in the US.

    It's been pretty bad times for HTC over the past few years... it would be a shame for them to disappear.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,435member
    jbcaro wrote: »
    How can Samsung not increase their share when they promote by drastically reduced pricing and BOGO sales. They may have a lot of phones out there but the money bleed has to hurt after a while.
    I think 1% is kind of sad considering the number of ads and carriers pushing them like they are the only phone. I called At&t for service today and their on hold message was even pushing Samsung.
  • Reply 27 of 68
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    genovelle wrote: »
    I think 1% is kind of sad considering the number of ads and carriers pushing them like they are the only phone. I called At&t for service today and their on hold message was even pushing Samsung.

    Seeing how everyone else went down a 1% increase is plenty good.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,435member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Seeing how everyone else went down a 1% increase is plenty good.
    Not with the money they were spending, during Apple quiet time
  • Reply 29 of 68
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    genovelle wrote: »
    Not with the money they were spending, during Apple quiet time

    Sure it is. Look at their nearest competitor. They're 21.2 percentage points ahead of them. Stop paying attention to the gap between 1 & 2, and look at the gap between 2 & 3.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    genovelle wrote: »
    Not with the money they were spending, during Apple quiet time

    I like that.... quiet time.

    Reminds me of:

    400
  • Reply 31 of 68
    arlorarlor Posts: 529member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bobbyfozz View Post

     

    Lately I have seen a number of women with those frigging monster phones up to their ear. 


     

    99% of the time -- actually probably more than 99% of the time -- I use my phone as a pocket-sized computer rather than as a phone. Thus screen size trumps the rare occasions when some anonymous person on the internet might judge me for having a "big" smartphone that's still quite a bit smaller than cell phones from ten years ago.

  • Reply 32 of 68
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,435member
    arlor wrote: »
    99% of the time -- actually probably more than 99% of the time -- I use my phone as a pocket-sized computer rather than as a phone. Thus screen size trumps the rare occasions when some anonymous person on the internet might judge me for having a "big" smartphone that's still quite a bit smaller than cell phones from ten years ago.
    I don't remember any giant cell phones 10 years ago. I still have my Palm Treo which was pretty big for the time. It's thicker but otherwise smaller than even the first iPhone. If that was my use I would go with an iPad or mini and make calls from Skype or iMessage via FaceTime Audio.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jbcaro wrote: »
    How can Samsung not increase their share when they promote by drastically reduced pricing and BOGO sales. They may have a lot of phones out there but the money bleed has to hurt after a while.

    So why didn't the very same thing help HTC? The HTC One (M8) was immediately put on a BOGO sale and their sales are down.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    arlorarlor Posts: 529member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genovelle View Post



    I don't remember any giant cell phones 10 years ago. I still have my Palm Treo which was pretty big for the time. It's thicker but otherwise smaller than even the first iPhone. If that was my use I would go with an iPad or mini and make calls from Skype or iMessage via FaceTime Audio.

     

    An iPad, even a mini, doesn't fit in a pocket. I like my iPad, but I don't like having to carry something extra around with me that won't fit in my clothing if I don't have to. I prefer not to carry a briefcase or purse or, god forbid, a fanny pack. I can read documents on a 5" screen just fine, and even edit them when it comes to text. If I want to do anything more than that, I'm not likely to be doing it out in public anyway.

     

    10 years ago I had a Nextel i1000 (egad, a flip phone -- I still believe they're more comfortable as phones, but my overall point is that my smartphone is not mainly a phone). My wife also had an i1000, but was about to switch to a PPC6700. Both may have been shorter (when folded up) than my current phone -- or an iPhone -- but they were substantially bulkier. 

     

    Do people really think of these devices mainly as phones? How much do you really talk on it as opposed to texting or computing on it? If you're worried about image, I'd worry more about people thinking you're computing with a screen that's too small than that you're talking on a brick. 

     

    Anyway, the differences are minor:

     

    The 5s, without a case, is 124x59x8 mm. 

     

    The Nexus 5, without a case, is 138x69x9 mm, a centimeter bigger in two dimensions than the iPhone, but not thicker. I wear a men's small or women's medium glove, and have no trouble operating it with one hand.

     

    It's not like a two-seater roadster vs. a large SUV; it's like a two-seater convertible vs. a small sedan.

     

    My wife's PPC6700, without a case, was 108x59x24 mm. Now that's a brick, even though the horizontal and vertical are the same or smaller than the 5s. 

  • Reply 35 of 68
    fjose1929fjose1929 Posts: 68member
    Baloney. Guess why they use a three month period that does not coincide with the reports of Att and Verizon?

    The last quarter apple took 70 percent of the smartphone sales on these carriers. By having a time period not matching the quarterly reports, they can continue their scam.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    arlor wrote: »
    The 5s, without a case, is 124x59x8 mm. 

    The Nexus 5, without a case, is 138x69x9 mm, a centimeter bigger in two dimensions than the iPhone, but not thicker. I wear a men's small or women's medium glove, and have no trouble operating it with one hand.

    It's not like a two-seater roadster vs. a large SUV; it's like a two-seater convertible vs. a small sedan.

    My wife's PPC6700, without a case, was 108x59x24 mm. Now that's a brick, even though the horizontal and vertical are the same or smaller than the 5s. 

    I had a buddy in college who had one of these. (ah the 90's... a time when cell phones were still kinda rare)

    He pretty much carried it in his hand most of the time. It didn't really fit in a pocket.

    And the thing ONLY made phone calls... such a primitive time! :D

    700
  • Reply 37 of 68
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    fjose1929 wrote: »
    Baloney. Guess why they use a three month period that does not coincide with the reports of Att and Verizon?

    The last quarter apple took 70 percent of the smartphone sales on these carriers. By having a time period not matching the quarterly reports, they can continue their scam.

    Have a link to back that claim up?
  • Reply 38 of 68
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I had a buddy in college who had one of these. (ah the 90's... a time when cell phones were still kinda rare)

    He pretty much carried it in his hand most of the time. It didn't really fit in a pocket.

    And the thing ONLY made phone calls... such a primitive time! :D

    700

    Imagine that, a phone that only made phone calls. What were they thinking? :lol:
  • Reply 39 of 68
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    So why didn't the very same thing help HTC? The HTC One (M8) was immediately put on a BOGO sale and their sales are down.

    Samsung's marketing hype is sucking all the air out of the room.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    All the people I know with Android phones would be using iPhone's if the screen was larger. If Apple does in fact release a larger screen iPhone, they are going to gain millions of people switching over from Android. 

    All.
    The.
    People.
    You.
    Know.
    With.
    Android.
    Phones...

    All of them?
    All of them.

    OK. I need no other proof. You win.
Sign In or Register to comment.