iOS 8 first look video: Apple's new QuickType keyboard makes typing faster

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    rogifan wrote: »
    And Windows Phone 8 was all about catching up to iOS and Android. All these companies borrow good ideas from each other and 3rd parties (or they just buy the 3rd party apps). But the integration is unique, not like Samsung and some of their blatant copying.

WP platform is still catching up, on average. Core features are mostly there and executed quite well, which provides good foundation for further development... but platform is still short of some relevant 3rd party apps, if not more.

That everyone borrows from everyone else, is simple fact of life. It is also the best way for technology to progress. Why would you reinvent wheel from scratch, if you can take what is already there and further improve on that? MS and Apple would not have mutual agreements in that sphere, have they not both believed that it will be beneficial for them.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    OK thats' great. At last they have listened to my incessant complaints about the stupid keyboard that keeps auto-correcting without using its brain and typing embarrassing words that even I didn't think up! I saw the video and frankly, I'm still not impressed. It only gives you 3 word options, and not more? Samsung has MORE word options on its screen even on the older models! Come on.

Secondly, it says it will allow the installing of third party keyboards - gee, can't APPLE come up with their OWN Swipe keyboard as well?? Can't this be implemented directly through IOS 8 without having to install other keyboards? Samsung could do it, I don't understand why Apple is still so insular and ancient.

Anyway, like someone above has said, I'll be happy when I see the actual change myself!
  • Reply 23 of 34

OK thats' great. At last they have listened to my incessant complaints about the stupid keyboard that keeps auto-correcting without using its brain and typing embarrassing words that even I didn't think up! I saw the video and frankly, I'm still not impressed. It only gives you 3 word options, and not more? Samsung has MORE word options on its screen even on the older models! Come on. 

Secondly, it says it will allow the installing of third party keyboards - gee, can't APPLE come up with their OWN Swipe keyboard as well?? Can't this be implemented directly through IOS 8 without having to install other keyboards? Samsung could do it, I don't understand why Apple is still so insular and ancient.

Anyway, like someone above has said, I'll be happy when I see the actual change myself! 

• Reply 24 of 34
    zerobim08zerobim08 Posts: 75member
    nikon133 wrote: »
    And Windows Phone 8 was all about catching up to iOS and Android. All these companies borrow good ideas from each other and 3rd parties (or they just buy the 3rd party apps). But the integration is unique, not like Samsung and some of their blatant copying.

WP platform is still catching up, on average. Core features are mostly there and executed quite well, which provides good foundation for further development... but platform is still short of some relevant 3rd party apps, if not more.

That everyone borrows from everyone else, is simple fact of life. It is also the best way for technology to progress. Why would you reinvent wheel from scratch, if you can take what is already there and further improve on that? MS and Apple would not have mutual agreements in that sphere, have they not both believed that it will be beneficial for them.

I am all for borrowing and adopting to improve. Only problem is there is this two faced Apple that spoiled the honey pot with its ridiculous lawsuits based on rectangular and prior arts patents.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    I have been an avid fan of Apple since the early days, and always will be, but I had the fortune(?, or misfortune) of trialling (still using it as waiting for ip6) android on galaxy s3. It kind of stuck with me more or less as I was waiting for a new iphone model with a bigger screen. I'm sure I'll switch as soon as ip6 comes out regardless of hardware or software changes.

I don't doubt for a second that ios is a superior system than android. In fact, the aura I get when using my ipad air as opposed to S3 is enormous. The clean, succinct interface is just way above the android standard in every aspect.

However, as other users have mentioned above, Swiftkey has been around for a VERY long time, and I was so shocked at how efficient it was when I first started using it. This is NOT new, certainly NOT innovative, and just like the pull up notification centre in ios7 that had been existent in android forever, is really a catch up on apple's part.

I guess Apple is taking the correct stance in "perfecting" their already superior os, but I certainly do believe they can't keep doing this forever. Sooner or later people will realize that these innovative items that Apple "adopts" with a plus alpha spirit to make their os perfect are not innovative. Microsoft pushed this too much and in the end it brought its own demise because of that.

Heck, if Samsung did this on something that Apple has in ios they will be criticized left right and centre straight away..
  • Reply 26 of 34
    I have been an avid fan of Apple since the early days, and always will be, but I had the fortune(?, or misfortune) of trialling (still using it as waiting for ip6) android on galaxy s3. It kind of stuck with me more or less as I was waiting for a new iphone model with a bigger screen. I'm sure I'll switch as soon as ip6 comes out regardless of hardware or software changes.

I don't doubt for a second that ios is a superior system than android. In fact, the aura I get when using my ipad air as opposed to S3 is enormous. The clean, succinct interface is just way above the android standard in every aspect.

However, as other users have mentioned above, Swiftkey has been around for a VERY long time, and I was so shocked at how efficient it was when I first started using it. This is NOT new, certainly NOT innovative, and just like the pull up notification centre in ios7 that had been existent in android forever, is really a catch up on apple's part.

I guess Apple is taking the correct stance in "perfecting" their already superior os, but I certainly do believe they can't keep doing this forever. Sooner or later people will realize that these innovative items that Apple "adopts" with a plus alpha spirit to make their os perfect are not innovative. Microsoft pushed this too much and in the end it brought its own demise because of that.

Heck, if Samsung did this on something that Apple has in ios they will be criticized left right and centre straight away..
  • Reply 27 of 34

• Reply 28 of 34

I have been an avid fan of Apple since the early days, and always will be, but I had the fortune(?, or misfortune) of trialling (still using it as waiting for ip6) android on galaxy s3. It kind of stuck with me more or less as I was waiting for a new iphone model with a bigger screen.  I'm sure I'll switch as soon as ip6 comes out regardless of hardware or software changes.

I don't doubt for a second that ios is a superior system than android.  In fact, the aura I get when using my ipad air as opposed to S3 is enormous.  The clean, succinct interface is just way above the android standard in every aspect.

However, as other users have mentioned above, Swiftkey has been around for a VERY long time, and I was so shocked at how efficient it was when I first started using it.  This is NOT new, certainly NOT innovative, and just like the pull up notification centre in ios7 that had been existent in android forever, is really a catch up on apple's part.  

I guess Apple is taking the correct stance in "perfecting" their already superior os, but I certainly do believe they can't keep doing this forever.  Sooner or later people will realize that these innovative items that Apple "adopts" with a plus alpha spirit to make their os perfect are not innovative.  Microsoft pushed this too much and in the end it brought its own demise because of that.  

• Reply 29 of 34
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    zerobim08 wrote: »
    nikon133 wrote: »

I am all for borrowing and adopting to improve. Only problem is there is this two faced Apple that spoiled the honey pot with its ridiculous lawsuits based on rectangular and prior arts patents.

Sounds to me as though you're all for stealing, but Apple's annoying insistence on protecting its well-earned patents through research and development makes that harder for other companies. Got it.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Sounds to me as though you're all for stealing, but Apple's annoying insistence on protecting its well-earned patents through research and development makes that harder for other companies. Got it.

More like a kid that likes playing with all the other kid's toys but no kids can play with his.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    dypdyp Posts: 33member
    Would work even faster on a larger iPhone.

:-)
  • Reply 32 of 34
    After a while the quick-type bar pulled down below the keyboard and is inaccessible to use. I am not surprised that this bug has unearthed itself along with many others. I am on IOS 8 beta 1 on an iPhone 5 32 GB AT&T GSM North America model A1428 and my UDID IS registered so i am not stealing from Apple.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    kevkwaskevkwas Posts: 3member
    Does Quicktype work with iPad Air? I installed ios 8 on my iPad Air but no quicktype .
    Any help please,

Kevkwas
  • Reply 34 of 34
    snorkelsnorkel Posts: 1member
    Steve is one reason these features that have been in Android devices for years are only just now making it into OS8.