Monday at WWDC: Apple delivers big surprises as most predictions ended up wrong

Comments

• Reply 61 of 97
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

He was on Twit last night and was decidedly 'meh' on everything Apple announced saying that all it's doing is catching them up to where Android already is.

If we only look at the revealed features where iOS was gaining feature parity with Android, while ignoring that iOS will have those features in a far more secure manner, and also ignore all the ways iOS (and OSX related features, through continuity) leapfrogs Android, then all Apple would have done is achieved feature parity.

That's pretty much the attitude I am seeing from the reflexively anti-Apple people at this point.

• Reply 62 of 97
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member
    Quote:

Virtually every significant new iOS and OS X feature that Apple unveiled and subsequently detailed on its website was a real surprise, while nearly every WWDC rumor ended up being wrong or significantly off the mark.

Would be nice if DED actually provided examples of these errant "nearly every" rumors that he cites. A large cross-section of the tech press had already written about the iOS health and home platforms, and predicted tighter integration between iOS and OS X. Yes, some articles I saw were off by a lot (namely the articles that predicted hardware debuts), and there were indeed some major surprises that I did not see anybody write about (namely Swift and third party extensions).

But, that's all par for the course. Recall that only a small handful of writers last summer predicted that the iPhone 5s (and iOS 7 and all the preloaded Apple apps) would go 64-bit. And nobody saw the Mac Pro coming.

If anything, the tech press just wants shiny objects, spec sheets, and feature lists. They're too lazy and myopic to note the long-term significance of updated developer tools, and new APIs (including extended cloud integration). Note how much of the reaction focused on  iOS 8 "copying" features from Android. Just more of the same lazy feature checklist lineups that tech reviewers have used since the early-80s as the basis for their conclusions.

Quote:

In fact, the only thing that seemed to quell developers' WWDC excitement had to be the marginally dismal lunch provided by Moscone Center's caterer. Even so, despite the variety of new food options that have opened in close proximity to the convention venue

While I generally like DED's point-of-view, he can be his own worst enemy with this kind of pettiness. He lives in SF and knows about the newer eateries around Moscone Center, yet he still chose to eat lunch on-site.

• Reply 63 of 97
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    blackbook wrote: »
    Another thing I loved about WWDC was the focus on spotlight.

With Spotlight's web search feature Apple is going to shift hundreds of millions of iOS and Mac customers away from google search.

Genius.
    Most definitely, looks like you could replace your browsers search engine with just it.
    rogifan wrote: »
    Yep. And also notice when Craig was talking about HomeKit no mention of Nest as one of the partners Apple was working with. If Apple can get the big players on board and communicate to customers that they don't have to worry about privacy with Apple, that's a HUGE win.
    I thought nest was on the list of company's.
  • Reply 64 of 97
    frxntierfrxntier Posts: 97member
    jumpcutter wrote: »
    Yes, It was a big surprise, to some, that Apple did not deliver anything of substance at WWDC. One big smoke screen involving the 2 operating systems. Why don,t Apple just merge the two systems into 1. They basically look the same with the flat Johnny Ive simple look. Apple was much better when they cared about the computer and not the iPhones and iPads. No Mac mini update for almost 2 years. No "new" products as advertised. Tim Cook is sending Eddy Cue out to promote these non existent products. Why don't Apple just not do anything with the computers anymore, just the mobile devices. Forgive me people, but I do not believe a thing Apple says anymore. They just lie.  
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Cook: Eddie, I need you to go door knocking. Nothing is selling anymore. This is a mission only you can handle.
    Cue: Ok, boss, what am I selling?
    Cook: This.
    Cue: Um, I can't see anything?
    Cook: That's the genius. It doesn't even exist.
    Cue: Tim, I don't have anything to do with devices anyway. Shouldn't you just release a new Mac mini?
    Cook: No. That's what everyone expects. I need you to go out and promote nonexistent products.
    Cue: Won't this look suspicious, though?
    Cook: I've already got the perfect smokescreen. We're going to release the biggest updates to both our OS's ever. In all the commotion no one will realise that we've made flat icons and our operating systems are exactly the same and that my apostrophe,s are actually commas.
    Cue: This is ridiculous.
    Cook: **** off then, I'll just get Dre to it. Jesus Christ.

I bet none of that will be funny when I read it tomorrow. I need to get a journal...
  • Reply 65 of 97
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I don't know that you could say it was the result of Apple doubling down on secrecy. This successful unveiling probably had more to do with the fact they do their software development behind locked doors in Cupertino rather than a supply chain factory in China.

and what do you think keeps those thousands of workers in Cupertino quiet? wait for it.....secrecy. 

• Reply 66 of 97
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpcutter View Post

One big smoke screen involving the 2 operating systems. Why don,t Apple just merge the two systems into 1. They basically look the same with the flat Johnny Ive simple look. Apple was much better when they cared about the computer and not the iPhones and iPads. No Mac mini update for almost 2 years. No "new" products as advertised. Tim Cook is sending Eddy Cue out to promote these non existent products. Why don't Apple just not do anything with the computers anymore, just the mobile devices. Forgive me people, but I do not believe a thing Apple says anymore. They just lie.  

theyve already said, publicly, that merging the two OSes is a stupid idea. guess you werent paying attention. please see the failure of Windows 8. 

as for focusing on idevices over mac -- they make tenfold on idevices than macs. thats a fact....PC sales are declining, mobile devices are increasing. you focus on where the customers are.

• Reply 67 of 97
    rogifan wrote: »
    listening to all these financial analysts on Bloomberg and CNBC is hilarious! It's almost like they're reading from the same script. All of them disappointed because no new hardware was announced yesterday. All of them saying that hardware is more important to Apple than software is. Even though a lot of these clowns are the same ones claiming Apple is doomed because they're too much of a hardware company. :rolleyes:

What I'm getting a kick out of though are the butt hurt Apple bloggers annoyed because their leaks/predictions were inaccurate. Mark Gurman actually tweeted that he thinks Apple changes the name and UI for their health app because of the things he leaked. He's just pissed because what he leaked turned out to be wrong. What's sad though is all the attention he's getting as though he's an authority on all things Apple. He was on Twit last night and was decidedly 'meh' on everything Apple announced saying that all it's doing is catching them up to where Android already is. Again he was just butt hurt because he didn't have the inside scoop on a lot of the things Apple did announce yesterday. He had nothing on 3rd party keyboards, inter app communications, opening up Touch ID to 3rd parties, new programming language. He had none of that. And he predicted hardware announcements which we didn't get. And just as I'm typing this I see he's going to be a guest on CNBC this morning. Sigh. :rolleyes:

Whether something was a surprise or not doesn't change whether the announcement itself is good enough or not. So people "poo pooing" things or suggesting that Apple changes things due to leaks is not out of spite in every case. Your attitude is very childish. A sort of "I told you so" when really you never have any prediction. You don't work for apple. As much as all of you fanboys think you are apart of it and can take credit for their work. You're just shills who they pimp overpriced gadgets to.

All of these features were predicted years ago actually...when they were released on Android.

Also Samsung already showed off Smart Home at CES 2014 and the tech is old and gimmicky. All you people talk crap when Samsung "copies", yet when apples entire WWDC is one big copy fest you call them innovative. Get over yourselves. Everything they did is stolen from android.

Don't bother replying with your crybaby Apple loyalist garbage because I'm an Apple user. I'm just annoyed at this childish approach to gadgets and people acting like they're part of a sports team. YOU DO NOT WORK FOR APPLE. Stop taking credit and acting like your support makes you part of the "team". You shelled out thousands for a bunch of gadgets. That is all you did.
  • Reply 68 of 97
    I loved it. Honestly, I'd been wanting to start coding, I just hadn't learned Objective C yet. Guess I can skip some lessons.

Overall Apple proved why they're still the top company around. The Droidboys are apoplectic; it's been hilarious to watch. "BUT W3 INVENT3D T3H WIDGETZ! APPLE IS T3H COPIEZ!"

Ugh...your making us look bad. You don't win an argument by becoming your opposition. Please stop.
  • Reply 69 of 97
    Yes, if by " secrecy has paid off" you mean that developers were delightfully surprised that Apple could show them something unexpected and thus truly "new" because the rumor mill didn't spoil it first.

Ironic your admonishment of the rumor mill is being posted on a rumor aggregator website.

I don't know that you could say it was the result of Apple doubling down on secrecy. This successful unveiling probably had more to do with the fact they do their software development behind locked doors in Cupertino rather than a supply chain factory in China.

Finally someone with a brain that doesn't make us look bad. Your non biased and intelligent reply renewed my faith that there are technology fans still out there, rather than just people seeking validation in worshiping a certain brand name.

Lots of these comments and even this article stink of "na na na na na" as if these people are accepting credit for Apple doing something.
  • Reply 70 of 97
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    theyve already said, publicly, that merging the two OSes is a stupid idea. guess you werent paying attention. please see the failure of Windows 8. 

as for focusing on idevices over mac -- they make tenfold on idevices than macs. thats a fact....PC sales are declining, mobile devices are increasing. you focus on where the customers are.

Lol instead of " merging them" they are just turning them both into the same thing. Macs already use an App Store and looks more and more like iOS with each update. They're just doing what Microsoft is doing in a different way under your nose.
  • Reply 71 of 97
    popinfreshpopinfresh Posts: 145member
    shogun wrote: »
    Keeping software secret should be trivial for Apple. Any software inklings we get (e.g. Healthbook) are controlled leaks by the powers that be. Keeping hardware secret is a very different story.

I wouldn't say those things are controlled leaks. Just like hardware, HealthKit and HomeKit were both things that Apple had to reach out to 3rd parties for buy in. Unfortunately those 3rd parties are as leaky as some of Apples hardware partners.

-PopinFRESH
  • Reply 72 of 97
    jumpcutterjumpcutter Posts: 100member

Okay Everyone,

You do not agree with my opinion...Cool. Tell me why in a constructive manner. I've been using Apple products for a least 15 years now and I do not like the way Apple is doing business. You can laugh or curse at me all you want but my opinion is not based on my "jumpcutter" award merits. Eddy Cue was interviewed by Walt Mossberg on May 28th in a live blog from the Verge. "Later this year, we've got the best product pipeline that I've seen in my 25 years at Apple" Eddy Cue stated. 

So my fellow Apple fanatics, I am not a liar. You may disagree and that is different. Eddy Cue did say this.

I was not waiting for a Mac mini exclusively, but that computer has not been updated in almost 2 years. It was just an example. Not as bad as the Mac Pro last year but close. It was rumored a low cost iMac was coming as well but Noooo. Okay. It appears when Apple updates lately, they seem to do a partial job. Apple updated the Macbook Air recently, Why just the processors and not TB2. Same thing with the iMac updates before that  (last year September??) no TB2 ports. When they updated the Macbook Pro last year, TB2 was added. Why? It appears that Apple does not have a clear vision for these computers, or it is just beyond the clouds.

When I said they should merge the two OS's I meant that as a joke. The platforms are getting to look similar to me. They both have that flat look. The John Ive Look. I am sure if Apple could they would but the different screen resolutions is just one problem.

I believe these forums are for honest and frank exchanges of ideas and opinions not bashing their words. Ask me to explain if you do not agree.

• Reply 73 of 97
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Okay Everyone,
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">   You do not agree with my opinion...Cool. Tell me why in a constructive manner. I've been using Apple products for a least 15 years now and I do not like the way Apple is doing business. You can laugh or curse at me all you want but my opinion is not based on my "jumpcutter" award merits. Eddy Cue was interviewed by Walt Mossberg on May 28th in a live blog from the Verge. </span>
    <em style="color:rgb(4,20,39);line-height:1.4em;">"Later this year, we've got the best product pipeline that I've seen in my 25 years at Apple" Eddy Cue stated. </em>

So my fellow Apple fanatics, I am not a liar. You may disagree and that is different. Eddy Cue did say this.
    I was not waiting for a Mac mini exclusively, but that computer has not been updated in almost 2 years. It was just an example. Not as bad as the Mac Pro last year but close. It was rumored a low cost iMac was coming as well but Noooo. Okay. It appears when Apple updates lately, they seem to do a partial job. Appple updated the Macbook Air recently, Why just the processors and not TB2. Same thing with the iMac updates before that  (last year September??) no TB2 ports. When they updated the Macbook Pro last year, TB2 was added. Why? It appears that Apple does not have a clear vision for these computers, or it is just beyond the clouds.
    I believe these forums are for honest and frank exchanges of ideas and opinions not bashing their words. Ask me to explain if you do not agree.

We all know what Eddy said. Nobody is denying that, but calling him a liar when the year isn't even half over yet is unjust and ridiculous in the extreme. Nobody with any sense expects anything until September or October.

Why should Apple care about the Mac? They don't make any money off it. They would probably be better off scrapping the entire line and focusing on iOS and other projects.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Mac and I would lose my mind if that happens, but to say Apple is losing focus because they aren't focusing on a product that doesn't make them much money is bullshit.
  • Reply 74 of 97

Apple does not make any money off the Mac is not true. All the PC companies are losing market share except for Apple. Tim Cook has claimed that their market  share is improving despite the low sales. Diversification is the key. Be in computers, iPhone and iPad but do not forget what made your company. All I have to say is Do Not Forget Blackberry.

• Reply 75 of 97
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Okay Everyone,
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">   You do not agree with my opinion...Cool. Tell me why in a constructive manner. I've been using Apple products for a least 15 years now and I do not like the way Apple is doing business. You can laugh or curse at me all you want but my opinion is not based on my "jumpcutter" award merits. Eddy Cue was interviewed by Walt Mossberg on May 28th in a live blog from the Verge. </span>
    <em style="color:rgb(4,20,39);line-height:1.4em;">"Later this year, we've got the best product pipeline that I've seen in my 25 years at Apple" Eddy Cue stated. </em>

I was not waiting for a Mac mini exclusively, but that computer has not been updated in almost 2 years. It was just an example. Not as bad as the Mac Pro last year but close. It was rumored a low cost iMac was coming as well but Noooo. Okay. It appears when Apple updates lately, they seem to do a partial job. Apple updated the Macbook Air recently, Why just the processors and not TB2. Same thing with the iMac updates before that  (last year September??) no TB2 ports. When they updated the Macbook Pro last year, TB2 was added. Why? It appears that Apple does not have a clear vision for these computers, or it is just beyond the clouds.

Look at a fucking calendar. There are twelve months in a year and we haven't hit the halfway mark.

Apple has a clear vision. How many consumer-level accessories are TB2?
  • Reply 76 of 97
    Apple does not make any money off the Mac is not true. All the PC companies are losing market share except for Apple. Tim Cook has claimed that their market  share is improving despite the low sales. Diversification is the key. Be in computers, iPhone and iPad but do not forget what made your company. All I have to say is Do Not Forget Blackberry.

I never said Apple is losing money on the Mac. What I said was the profits on the Mac are insignificant compared to iOS. Given this, I don't follow your reasoning for Apple being worse off for not devoting it's full attention to OSX.

Blackberry went down the tubes because they refused to adapt and stuck with an outdated product. This seems to me to be exactly what you want Apple to do.
  • Reply 77 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Look at a fucking calendar. There are twelve months in a year and we haven't hit the halfway mark.

Apple has a clear vision. How many consumer-level accessories are TB2?

What is your problem? Why did Apple make it a point with the Mac Pro? Is it because of 4K or what? All I asked was the question. So Thanks for your "fucking" answer. You are a real winner.

• Reply 78 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

We all know what Eddy said. Nobody is denying that, but calling him a liar when the year isn't even half over yet is unjust and ridiculous in the extreme. Nobody with any sense expects anything until September or October.

Why should Apple care about the Mac? They don't make any money off it. They would probably be better off scrapping the entire line and focusing on iOS and other projects.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Mac and I would lose my mind if that happens, but to say Apple is losing focus because they aren't focusing on a product that doesn't make them much money is bullshit.

That is exactly what you are implying. 

• Reply 79 of 97
    What is your problem? Why did Apple make it a point with the Mac Pro? Is it because of 4K or what? All I asked was the question. So Thanks for your "fucking" answer. You are a real winner.

No you didn't just ask a question. You accused Apple and Eddie of lying and betraying your trust. This was, as I have pointed out, unjust and absurd. If you are going to act like an asshole, don't be surprised when others treat you like an asshole.
  • Reply 80 of 97
    That is exactly what you are implying. 

What part of what I said was unclear?