Very Sad -- WWDC -- Tell Me Why I Am Wrong -- Please

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2014
Happening to be watching the Jobs myopic, whatever that is. Whether accurate or hopelessly inaccurate, it still brings to mind a Steve Jobs theme, thinking into the future. I'm old, 66, but technologically I'm young. Have 7 iPads, and an Apple tattoo. I was once married to Bill Gates, but that Dec. before the iPad came out, I was beyond infatuated with it's potential. It literally changed the face of the world. At the same time, I watched Microsoft put on cement shoes and get stuck in the mud. Windows stunk, and each version got worse. Instead of being visionary, they became reactionary. Now, they are an after thought, far down in 3rd or 4th Place. The World is catching up to Apple. Other companies have made significant inroads. I know the iPhone sales figures, but truth is, the first iPhone and the 5s don't look any different. If you sat them side by side, the man on the street couldn't see much difference. That brings us to WWDC 2014. I read the following, Apple ALWAYS focuses on software at WWDC. Was that a Steve Jobs law. Would he have forbidden innovation??? All I have seen in the last. 2 years are tweaks, and 9 to 5 Mac and Cult of Mac articles trying to convince me why these tweaks matter. I wanted and Apple needed, iPhone 6, iWatch, new Apple TV. Instead of excitement, I see day old bread. The entirety of WWDC could fit on one page. :no: :no: :no:

Thanks. That feels better. Now I can go to the bathroom and go to bed. Apple 5cs anyone???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6

hmm.. in my opinion, BEST WWDC ever !

So...?

• Reply 2 of 6
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppaholic View Post

Happening to be watching the Jobs myopic, whatever that is. Whether accurate or hopelessly inaccurate, it still brings to mind a Steve Jobs theme, thinking into the future. I'm old, 66, but technologically I'm young. Have 7 iPads, and an Apple tattoo. I was once married to Bill Gates, but that Dec. before the iPad came out, I was beyond infatuated with it's potential. It literally changed the face of the world. At the same time, I watched Microsoft put on cement shoes and get stuck in the mud. Windows stunk, and each version got worse. Instead of being visionary, they became reactionary. Now, they are an after thought, far down in 3rd or 4th Place. The World is catching up to Apple. Other companies have made significant inroads. I know the iPhone sales figures, but truth is, the first iPhone and the 5s don't look any different. If you sat them side by side, the man on the street couldn't see much difference. That brings us to WWDC 2014. I read the following, Apple ALWAYS focuses on software at WWDC. Was that a Steve Jobs law. Would he have forbidden innovation??? All I have seen in the last. 2 years are tweaks, and 9 to 5 Mac and Cult of Mac articles trying to convince me why these tweaks matter. I wanted and Apple needed, iPhone 6, iWatch, new Apple TV. Instead of excitement, I see day old bread. The entirety of WWDC could fit on one page. image image image

Thanks. That feels better. Now I can go to the bathroom and go to bed. Apple 5cs anyone???

Your 7 iPads changed the face of the world because of the software on them, created by developers.  Developers just had a massive conference, jam packed full of innovation, and one page wouldn't even work as an overview for most of them.  Your iPads will be better because of this conference.

Apple can announce hardware any time they want, when it's ready, and they will.

• Reply 3 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I wanted and Apple needed, iPhone 6, iWatch, new Apple TV.

Apple needs absolutely nothing of the sort, and in no way were they expected to be released at WWDC.

Instead of excitement, I see day old bread. The entirety of WWDC could fit on one page.

1 pt font seems uncharacteristic for someone in his '60s.

• Reply 4 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

I wanted and Apple needed, iPhone 6, iWatch, new Apple TV. Instead of excitement, I see day old bread. The entirety of WWDC could fit on one page. image image image

Apple paved the road for all of these at WWDC '14. 

The Xcode simulator now supports variable sizes (portends a larger iPhone) 

Healthkit/Health and Continuity functionality set the table for iWatch 

Metal makes the gaming potential of A7 based Apple TV much more powerful 

WWDC was huge but Apple has no plans to announce HW too early. 

• Reply 5 of 6
    Just a couple of things. I definitely wrote this wanting to be chopped up, at least to some extent. I love Apple and am not a critic. I am also old and have seen a lot, things on their way in and thiings on their way out. I have the greatest respect for the company and especially for Steve Jobs. I got an e-mail from him once, which flabbergasted me. Back when multi-tasking was getting ready to come on the scene and I couldn't wait to listen to music and work. Those dratted German bloggers said it was coming out that Thursday and I was relatively new to Apple. Somewhat in the same vein as last night, I jokingly wrote to Steve in the middle of the night. 2:00 a.m., not expecting a reply (-B At 2:02, I got a response back telling me that unless I heard it from him, I needed to ignore it. It was personalized in a way that demonstrated it had been read, and the turn around time was instant. I now ignore the bloggers. Also being an avid gamer, PS4 and X-Box 1, I saw what happened when video game consoles narrowed their appeal to just gamers. It wasn't a good thing, and happened again and again. Now it very well may be that Apple is so fat and sassy that they don't care about new customers, but the young or old person who has just discovered Apple needs to see real innovation. They will not be moved by tweaks to the iOS, or abilities like checking e-mail on your toaster. On the one hand, you definitely don't want to bring a product out before it is ready, but on the other you don't want to become Betamax. People are clamoring for a bigger screen, for an iWatch. Given the choice between an Apple product and an Android one, Apple will usually win out, but if the Apple product APPEARS to be identical to it's predecessor, and the Android product appears to be capable of supersonic speed, then those new customers are going to go away from Apple. I don't want to see that happen. I want to see them always on the front edge of the curve. That's the real message behinid my post.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    pcftwpcftw Posts: 3member

they always make little tweaks so people will buy more stuff while apple has to put in less effort