Razer unveils slide-out iPhone gamepad as Apple plans iOS 8 controller forwarding support for iPad,

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
Accessory maker Razer is the latest to release an Apple-sanctioned Made for iPhone controller, but its new accessory boasts a unique and thin slide-out design. And gamepads like Razer's new Junglecat will become even more powerful with iOS 8, gaining the ability to remotely control titles on iPad and Mac.

The Razer Junglecat is outfitted with a D-pad, face buttons of "A," "B," "X," and "Y," plus "L" and "R" bumper buttons. The physical controls are part of a slide-out pad that connects to the top half of the controller encasing an iPhone 5 or iPhone 5s.

Razer boasts that the new controller offers open access to all of the iPhone's ports and buttons. It connects to the iPhone via Lightning, and is designed to be as pocketable as possible for gaming on the go.

The Razer Junglecat is available for preorder now, and like prior Made for iPhone gaming controllers, it is priced at $99.99. It will join the three other Apple-approved gaming controllers on the market: the Moga Ace Power and Logitech PowerShell case-style accessories, and the completely wireless, compact SteelSeries Stratus.

Announcement of Razer's offering comes as Apple revealed to developers this week that iOS 8 will include a new "controller forwarding" feature. This will allow iPhone-only controllers, such as the Junglecat, Ace Power and PowerShell, to wirelessly connect to an iPhone or Mac.

With official Made for iPhone controllers carrying a hefty $100 price tag, this new feature would add value to the accessories, making them compatible with a wider array of devices.

Apple also announced that iOS 8 will give developers the ability to utilize the iPhone's touch screen and motion control input as a controller for titles running separately on an iPhone or Mac. Those features could also pave the way for console-style gaming on an Apple TV, if Apple's set-top box were to be updated with support for native apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Its going to a take a much better initiative than what we've seen to have any chance of MFi controllers taking off.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    No analog sticks for $99?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    if you game you need analog sticks and d pad...come on...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member

I can afford $99 but it seems a bit steep for a controller.  $69 would be more in order.  I don't know what components would be driving up the cost to $99.  Mfi tax?  The Junglecat is definitely a nice compact design specific for the iPhone but I'd just as soon use my Playstation six-axis because its very comfortable and built to last.  Anyway, I think Apple is doing a decent job of offering the API for controllers of all sorts.  It's about time.  Now all Apple has to do is get some exclusive games to make the platform popular.

• Reply 5 of 12
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Xperia Play knockoff, though that at least had analog 'nubs'.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Can't imagine would buy anyone of these case-like controllers now when the new iPhone is coming out in a few months, and, whether you believe it will be a different size or not, will almost certainly have a revised form factor of some sort.  

Plus, software support.

Plus, analogue sticks.

• Reply 7 of 12
    gerritgerrit Posts: 29member
    OK, so not a lot of people are going to pay $40 over the price of a real controller (PS or Xbox) to forward tiny-fidgety controls to their Mac. Controls that get interrupted every time they get a phone call or text and don't include console basics like vibration and analog sticks.

Even with Apple's tone-deaf approach to gaming they have to realize this. So then why controller forwarding? Certainly seems like this is the closest thing to an admission that an Apple TV with downloadable games is on the way...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    In it's defense- it appears made to compete with the DS moreso than an xbox/ps3, obviously.

Regardless, I won't be using a controller to play on a little screen.  The day Apple TV has an app store with gaming is the day I buy a controller.

• Reply 9 of 12
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    I can afford $99 but it seems a bit steep for a controller.  $69 would be more in order.  I don't know what components would be driving up the cost to $99.  Mfi tax?  The Junglecat is definitely a nice compact design specific for the iPhone but I'd just as soon use my Playstation six-axis because its very comfortable and built to last.  Anyway, I think Apple is doing a decent job of offering the API for controllers of all sorts.  It's about time.  Now all Apple has to do is get some exclusive games to make the platform popular.

MFi requires controller manufacturers to use a single Apple-approved supplier for button switches and analog sticks. This raises the BOM.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It’s like I’m really back in 2005… 

• Reply 11 of 12
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Apple should have bought Razer.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Controllers should never cost $99, more like $30. Until this changes I won't own a controller for my phone. When will these companies learn. At that high of a price it should at least come with free games (the more pricey ones) to download that are controller compatible.