Amazon expected to announce 3D sensing smartphone at June 18 event

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    mpantone wrote: »
    You mean like Virtual Boy?

You bet! And wait til you see Alfred Hitchcock's Dial 'M' for Murder, it's shot in 3D. I predict by 1960, all movies will be made in 3D. Everything will be 3D: it's the Next Big Thing!
  • Reply 22 of 29
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Meanwhile, Apple was just granted another 62 [936 in 2014 and counting] Patents on June 3.

Some real juicy stuff here:

http://www.latestpatents.com/apple-patents-granted-on-03-june-2014/#more-27254

• Reply 23 of 29
    beowulfschmidtbeowulfschmidt Posts: 2,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I'm pretty sure the "3D" tech in Amazon's smartphone will basically be a commercial implementation of this tech demo from 2007 except tracking your eyes directly instead of requiring an a pair of infrared light sources stuck to your head.

It's not true 3D but I find the illusion even better and it' much easier on the eyes. Seems resource intensive for a mobile device but it still strikes me as odd that no-one has really pursued this until now. Of course the illusion only works for one person per display but that's a pretty safe assumption to make for a mobile device.

I can't watch that video here, but if it's the one I remember, I think the guy responsible for that stuff went to work for Microsoft working on the Kinect project.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    I'm assuming it will run on a version of android? Pretty much makes it a nonstarter for a lot of people at that point.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Innovation is always a good thing.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    thecorethecore Posts: 56member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BeowulfSchmidt View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I'm pretty sure the "3D" tech in Amazon's smartphone will basically be a commercial implementation of this tech demo from 2007 except tracking your eyes directly instead of requiring an a pair of infrared light sources stuck to your head.

I can't watch that video here, but if it's the one I remember, I think the guy responsible for that stuff went to work for Microsoft working on the Kinect project.

Try this link-  it's takes off on the initial work showing it on an iPad.    Very likely the sprinkle of

fairy dust Amazon will be peddling

http://youtu.be/bBQQEcfkHoE

• Reply 27 of 29
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Amazuniac

Amazaniac would be better.

• Reply 28 of 29
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Lets see ..which do u find easer?

Holding your phone steady and using your finger to rotate objects to see them from different perspectives. Or rotating and tilting your tablet or phone around to create the same illusion.

And talking about tilt sensitive sliding menus... U better keep that phone steady.. Or u will have things pop in an out without u wanting to!

Battery life... Wonder how much the six cameras will effect battery life?

I feel is is mostly gimmicky than practicality.
    Time will tell!
  • Reply 29 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    dunks wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the "3D" tech in Amazon's smartphone will basically be a commercial implementation of this tech demo from 2007 except tracking your eyes directly instead of requiring an a pair of infrared light sources stuck to your head.t's not true 3D but I find the illusion even better and it' much easier on the eyes. Seems resource intensive for a mobile device but it still strikes me as odd that no-one has really pursued this until now. Of course the illusion</span>
    only works for one person per display but that's a pretty safe assumption to make for a mobile device.
    TechCrunch explains what they believe the tech is according to their sources
    http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/05/amazons-3d-smartphone-is-powered-by-omrons-face-sensing-tech/