OS X Yosemite first look video: Handoff

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    I would assume it works over wireless and maybe both bluetooth as well. I think its stupid if you need bluetooth with it when you don't need it for AirDrop. Hoping it works either way.
  • Reply 22 of 77
    The only question I would have about it is if it would work from mac to mac. An example being going from a MacBook to an iMac. That would be a great addition.
  • Reply 23 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    bigzaj wrote: »
    I still don't understand why I can't click on a phone number on my iPad and have it dial from my iPhone...

That's what Handoff will resolve.
  • Reply 24 of 77
    cashxx wrote: »
    I would assume it works over wireless and maybe both bluetooth as well. I think its stupid if you need bluetooth with it when you don't need it for AirDrop. Hoping it works either way.

Isn't that because airdrop drops between say your mac and other colleagues, whereas handoff is only between ones own devices...
  • Reply 25 of 77
    bigzajbigzaj Posts: 4member

Does it?  I've only read about call options between Macs running Yosemite and iPhones with iOS8.  I have not read anything about handing off between iPhone and iPad for phone calls...

"One of this unique feature is making calls through Mac, using the cellular network in the iPhone. If your Mac is running OS X Yosemite, it can identify that your iPhone is nearby (the phone can be in your bag or in the same room) and then can allow you to accept calls or messages on the big screen. Similarly, if you are browsing the web page of a beauty parlour on your Mac and then wants to make a call to it, you can do so directly from the Mac. The Mac will automatically connect to the iPhone and make the call."

• Reply 26 of 77
    redgeminiparedgeminipa Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Squuiid View Post

5S on iOS 8 beta 1 and Macbook Pro 15 2010 on Yosemite beta 1 would only do calls on the Mac. I could not handoff safari, iMessage or anything else. Hopefully will be fixed in next beta. Early days.

I hope this isn't a sign that the 2010 15" MacBook Pro won't support all of this. If so, it looks like I'll have to upgrade as soon as financially possible... 

At least you have calls working. I guess that's a good sign. Let's hope beta 2 of at least one of them gets it working correctly. 

• Reply 27 of 77
    bigzaj wrote: »
    Does it?  I've only read about call options between Macs running Yosemite and iPhones with iOS8.  I have not read anything about handing off between iPhone and iPad for phone calls...

"One of this unique feature is making calls through Mac, using the cellular network in the iPhone. If your Mac is running OS X Yosemite, it can identify that your iPhone is nearby (the phone can be in your bag or in the same room) and then can allow you to accept calls or messages on the big screen. Similarly, if you are browsing the web page of a beauty parlour on your Mac and then wants to make a call to it, you can do so directly from the Mac. The Mac will automatically connect to the iPhone and make the call."

Ah, I see, you specifically mean your iPad, and they only demoed and mentioned doing this from the Mac. I see your point. If they don't allow this from the iPad that would be strange as I see no reason they can't make iOS does the same handoff as the Mac back to the iPhone. I think it's using the FaceTime Audio protocols over a LAN with the heavy lifting being on the iPhone which will have to repackage the audio going to and coming off of the cellular network.
  • Reply 28 of 77
    It works so smooth! I love it.
  • Reply 29 of 77

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What do you mean, "starting a response"? "Hello Mr. Glockenspiel,"...then decide? Or type several paragraphs, THEN decide?

Technically, there's no difference.

Indeed, it appears that this system works on file exchange, and therefore would not work with web forms.

But think about how much you type into web forms these days. Like this one.

• Reply 30 of 77
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Isn't that because airdrop drops between say your mac and other colleagues, whereas handoff is only between ones own devices...

Thats true I guess.........they mentioned in the keynote the phone can be in your bedroom though as your else where.  Bluetooth doesn't go too far, 30ft if your lucky.  For me usually 15ft or so.   Be a small house your in for it to work!    Mixed data so not sure, but what you said does make sense!

• Reply 31 of 77
    squuiidsquuiid Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

I hope this isn't a sign that the 2010 15" MacBook Pro won't support all of this. If so, it looks like I'll have to upgrade as soon as financially possible... 

At least you have calls working. I guess that's a good sign. Let's hope beta 2 of at least one of them gets it working correctly. 

Sorry, my post was misleading, thinking back to it, calls worked from my iPad Air, not from the 2010 Macbook Pro.
    Seems like the 2010 Macbook Pro 15" doesn't make the cut for Handoff functionality, probably due to Bluetooth limitation as others here have pointed out.
  • Reply 32 of 77
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member
    Quote:

5S on iOS 8 beta 1 and Macbook Pro 15 2010 on Yosemite beta 1 would only do calls on the Mac. I could not handoff safari, iMessage or anything else. Hopefully will be fixed in next beta. Early days.

How did you make calls on the Mac?  I want to try that!  I already have yosemite and iOS 8 betas, so... :)

• Reply 33 of 77
    redgeminiparedgeminipa Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

Sorry, my post was misleading, thinking back to it, calls worked from my iPad Air, not from the 2010 Macbook Pro.

Seems like the 2010 Macbook Pro 15" doesn't make the cut for Handoff functionality, probably due to Bluetooth limitation as others here have pointed out.

That's what I was afraid of... grrrr. Oh well. 

Someone mentioned adding a Bluetooth 4.0 dongle, but we all know Apple will restrict it based on Mac model. Adding the dongle will only be a waste of time and money. 

• Reply 34 of 77
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Video won't play if viewing this site with iOS 8.
  • Reply 35 of 77

Isn't it Flash-only? Oddly, AI is the only site I frequent that still wants me to use Flash.
  • Reply 36 of 77
    solipsismx wrote: »

Isn't it Flash-only? Oddly, AI is the only site I frequent that still wants me to use Flash.

Yeah, I didn't notice that!

Also, AI often renders improperly on iOS 8 -- missing content, intermixed markup, content rendered too smLl ....

Likely, this is partially iOS 8 fault and partially AIs fault.

One issue with iOS 8 Safari is that automatic minimization of the page top eliminates the tab bar -- you must scroll down a bit in the forum (losing your place) in order to make the tab bar reappear.
  • Reply 37 of 77

Also, AI often renders improperly on iOS 8 -- missing content, intermixed markup, content rendered too smLl ....

One issue with iOS 8 Safari is that automatic minimization of the page top eliminates the tab bar -- you must scroll down a bit in the forum (losing your place) in order to make the tab bar reappear.

Go to the WWDC session video page with Safari 8 on Yosemite. I don't get the Download buttons as I should. I have to open the page in Chrome to DL the videos which is either unique to me (or atypical among Yosemite users) or Apple is really dropping the ball with not making sure heir developer page works with Yosemite.
  • Reply 38 of 77
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    "It should be noted that the feature was working only from iOS to Mac at the time of this writing, but Handoff should be completely two-way compatible at launch."

Just wait, an analyst is to write an investor piece based on this information, telling his customers to dump Apple stock "based on their inability to innovate beta software."
  • Reply 39 of 77
    solipsismx wrote: »

Go to the WWDC session video page with Safari 8 on Yosemite. I don't get the Download buttons as I should. I have to open the page in Chrome to DL the videos which is either unique to me (or atypical among Yosemite users) or Apple is really dropping the ball with not making sure heir developer page works with Yosemite.

I can't right now, I'm using migration assistant on my Yosemite HD. But, that's why they called it a "preview" release.