Apple's latest iPhone 5s ad focuses on fitness

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
During the first game of the Stanley Cup Final on Wednesday, Apple released an iPhone 5s ad focusing on the handset's ability to link with activity trackers and fitness apps to become an all-in-one digital trainer.

Adding to its latest iPhone 5s TV ad campaign, Apple's most recent advertisement takes the tagline "You're more powerful than you think" more literally by featuring fitness-minded apps and accessories.

The short spot shows off hardware like Misfit's Shine activity tracker and apps like weightlifting trainer Stronglifts set to the 1961 tune "Chicken Fat" by Robert Preston, which was created to as a governmental push to get kids in the U.S. active. The song came to be known as "The Youth Fitness Song."

Along with Stronglifts, the ad covers golfing apps, running apps and more to illustrate how useful the iPhone 5s can be for the active lifestyle set. The smartphone is well-suited to the task being the first Apple device to incorporate the M7 motion coprocessor to aggregate raw data from various onboard motion sensors.

More recently, Apple unveiled a new push into health and fitness at WWDC 2014 with iOS 8's HealthKit and the corresponding Health app. HealthKit is a framework that third-party app and device makers can use to integrate their products with compatible iOS devices. The Health app serves as a central hub and repository for all things health-related including app-generated data, ties into third-party services and fitness tracking, among others.

Apple first introduced the "more powerful" series in April with an ad touting the handset's capability as a multimedia creation tool.

The iPhone 5s advertisement comes on the heels of a report claiming Apple is moving television ad creation in-house in a shift away from longtime partner agency TBWA/Chiat/Day.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    But Healthkit is a stolen name. Breaking news.
    Apple HealthKit stuns startup: ‘That’s our name’ http://nyp.st/1mTPR1m
  • Reply 2 of 25
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    pazuzu wrote: »

I predict HealthKit will be getting a huge cash infusion soon.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    That's why I think they named it that, health is simple name no one else owned.

Apple is hinting at a health device such as an I watch.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Sosumi

Is it trademarked? The story doesn't say.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    I love the ad. Probably my favorite of this series of iPhone and iPad ads so far.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I predict HealthKit will be getting a huge cash infusion soon.

That’s one of the perks of being a multinational tech giant and the most valuable company in the world. Nobody would ever confuse Apple’s healthkit with this Australian outfit’s product. So just wave some cash in front of their noses and make them go away.

• Reply 7 of 25
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

I like it.This is why I think healthkit is a big deal. A framework that collects all the data from all these disparate wearables and health apps that brings it all together and makes it all cohesive. A third party could have come out with  something similar, but that it is part of the OS makes it easier for all the apps and devices to come together to give you the bigger picture instead of there being a kinda of chaos. It seems obvious now, this kind of unification, but Apple did it first, and it is only a matter of time that Android and Windows phone offer the same.

• Reply 8 of 25
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member
    Also, Apple's "Healthkit" is not a consumer facing brand. It's strictly a developer API/service from what I can tell.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

Also, Apple's "Healthkit" is not a consumer facing brand. It's strictly a developer API/service from what I can tell.

The consumer facing App is called Health. 

• Reply 10 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Apple's HealthKit is a collection of APIs, that company is named HealthKit. There's a difference. Also, they're Australian and I doubt they applied for a registered trademark in the US. Regardless, Apple will probably pay them for a license to the name so there will be no legal trouble in the future.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Ha, chicken fat. What a completely weird yet awesome song. I hope one day we'll hear the story behind Apple picking these slightly dangerous songs (remember the Pixies song about the big load?)
  • Reply 12 of 25
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Apple's HealthKit is a collection of APIs, that company is named HealthKit. There's a difference. Also, they're Australian and I doubt they applied for a registered trademark in the US. Regardless, Apple will probably pay them for a license to the name so there will be no legal trouble in the future.

Note the actual app is simply titled Health. After looking at their site I don't see how this Australian company could possibly win a case against Apple about using the same name for a collection of APIs that iOS developers may use within an app. Their HealthKit is an app directed at healthcare professionals. In no way could be there be an trademark confusion.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Ha, chicken fat. What a completely weird yet awesome song. I hope one day we'll hear the story behind Apple picking these slightly dangerous songs (remember the Pixies song about the big load?)

My brain automatically replaced the word 'fat' with something somewhat ruder...

I'm not sure that's going to sit well with Apple's customers - it's a bit insulting.

• Reply 14 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Note the actual app is simply titled Health. After looking at their site I don't see how this Australian company could possibly win a case against Apple about using the same name for a collection of APIs that iOS developers may use within an app. Their HealthKit is an app directed at healthcare professionals. In no way could be there be an trademark confusion.

Indeed. When all is said and done, Apple may just tell this company to get bent. ????
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Key in this article is the shifting of ads in-house. Apple is giving up a lot of talent. But my guess is that Cook is demanding more and better secrecy. WWDC 14 proved that.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    I'm not a big fan of these commercials - I don't think it was a good song choice either.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    I hope the iPhone 6 be water resistant
  • Reply 18 of 25
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    jakeb wrote: »

The vast majority wouldn't know that. Hell, I had to Google the Pixies song.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    I'm sure that works fine in Salt Lake City but only a fool would expose an iPhone 5s like that in NYC.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member

So now we have to wait for the inevitable post which lists all the apps that are used in the commercial. Or will we have to depend on Apple to do it for us?