Apple announces cheaper iCloud storage plans, Photos for Mac coming in early 2015

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    kenmcallkenmcall Posts: 7member

Currently, photos shared using iCloud Photo Sharing are stored at a maximum resolution of 2048 pixels on the longest edge. Therefore it does not store the original photo. A very important distinction to make. (see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5902)

From the FAQ:

Which photo and video formats and sizes does iCloud Photo Sharing support?

iCloud Photo Sharing supports JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and most RAW photo formats. When shared, photos taken with standard point-and-shoot cameras, SLR cameras, or iOS devices will have up to 2048 pixels on the long edge. Panoramic photos can be up to 5400 pixels wide.

iCloud Photo Sharing supports both MP4 and QuickTime video file types, and H.264 and MPEG-4 Video file formats. Videos can be up to 5 minutes in length and are delivered at up to 720p resolution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphafox View Post

iCloud photo streams ARE stored in the cloud, hence iCloud in their name.

There is no (reasonable) storage limit and it doesnt count against your 5GB iCloud limit. 

There is no time limit, they stay untill you delete them.

They are not saved to your device unless you open them and then it cashes them temporarily. 

I will create a photo stream (select your local photos, click the export/share button in lower right, pick iCloud, create a new photo stream) and share it with my family. then I can delete the photos on my local photo roll and they are saved indefinately in the photo stream and everyone can see them. you can even add 5 minute videos and none of this counts against your iCloud storage limit just like your normal photo stream. I am not talking about the auto 1000 picture photo stream, you have to setup a shared photo stream with other people or just send the invite to anyone to create it initially.

"Photos in shared photo streams are not deleted after thirty (30) days, but the size of any given photo stream may be subject to photo or recipient number, and/or size limitations. Downloaded photos can be manually saved to the iOS Camera Roll."

http://www.apple.com/legal/icloud/en/terms.html

With iCloud Photo Sharing, you can share photos and videos with just the people you choose, and you can let them add their own photos, videos, and comments.

Does iCloud Photo Sharing use my iCloud storage?

No. Photos and videos uploaded to iCloud Photo Sharing don't count against your iCloud storage.

How many photos and videos can be stored in a shared stream?

A shared stream can hold a maximum of 5000 photos and videos combined. When you reach your limit, you must delete some photos or videos before adding new ones.

How long are iCloud Photo Sharing photos and videos stored in iCloud?

The photos and videos you share (and the comments or Likes associated with those photos) remain in iCloud until you or the contributor delete them manually, or until you delete the shared stream completely.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5902

• Reply 42 of 55
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kenmcall View Post

iTunes Match is completely outside iCloud storage, and doesn't currently (nor will it) have any effect on your iCloud storage limits. It's only limit is a maximum of 25,000 songs that you've uploaded yourself (purchases done through your iTunes store account don't count towards the limit). If you've passed the 25,000 song limit, that's an amazing collection of music, but I'm not sure I'd call it a "real pain".

Thanks for the info. It's unfortunate that there isn't a way to increase the limit.

This actually is quite a pain, and largely because of secondary effects. I don't really need iTunes Match for its music-in-the-cloud ability although that is sometimes useful. My reason for it is so that iTunes Radio is ad-free.

But once you exceed the 25K limit, new music doesn't upload. OK. But if you try to edit info for any of it there are nag-alerts telling you that they haven't uploaded and things might change and do you really want to proceed. Every damn time. And that is a pain.

And every time you start iTunes it collects your info and re-tries to match. Of course it fails. But you get two or three error dialogs saying that your iTunes Store request failed with error -32xx -- OK. Well, actually, NOT. But there's no "Not OK" button in the dialog. 

And since iTunes Match is enabled on my iPhone - so iTunes Radio is ad-free - I can't transfer music from my library. The "recommended" way is to download it from the cloud. Well - that's just silly. Waaayyy slower. Oh - and you can't get the music that hasn't been uploaded because you're over the limit. So I have to turn off Match, transfer music, and re-enable Match.

In toto, this really IS a royal pain.

• Reply 43 of 55
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

Google is definitely trying to buy into market. So i wont take the Price as Market Standard. Even Apple were to charge double the price of Google Drive people would still use it. And unless there is some clever engineering, Google Drive prices aren't even economically sustainable. So I for one is actually hoping 1TB would be more like 19.99 instead. Or it would be 500GB for $7.99 and 1Tb for $14.99.

And Please do remember instead of just some fancy free tier and cheap storage like most other company do. Apple is actually offering these to 500M+ active iOS users, and these are the group of users who are very likely to pay for services as well. Even a 100M of users at 20GB equals to 2000 PB! And That is excluding redundancy!

2000PB? When you consider even Facebook only holds 300PB in cold storage.......

If Apple had themselves ready they are well on track to outpace Google in terms of Server and Storage count as well as DataCentre. ( And Hopefully CDN )  

• Reply 44 of 55
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    andysol wrote: »
    Google Drive is nowhere near as intuitive.  This is baked into stock iOS Apps (Camera and Photos) that links automatically with all my iDevices and Macs.  Tell me how that's the same as Google Drive.
    $24 difference a year isn't a big deal to me for that ease of use.

Google Drive is actually very intuitive and available on more platforms. So when I take a picture with say my iPad Air it's automatically backed up and it's then available to view on my MacBook Air, Kindle HDX, Nexus 10, ThinkPad 8, Nokia 1020 etc. It doesn't really matter what you use though, they all work about the same, I actually prefer OneDrive, the online viewer and tools are pretty wonderful. Not to mention uploading and then viewing 2 hour plus 1080P videos is the best I've seen from an online storage utility as of yet. Google Drive is pretty good at videos to, it even encodes them for easy viewing in a browser, I have over 200 BlueRay ripped movies. I did this so I don't have to carry around a HD when I'm staying in the hospital, just navigate to my GDrive, select a movie and push play.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member
    Onedrive business is $2.50 per month for 1TB

iCloud 1TB pricing? At $3.99 for 200GB, I would guess that 1TB would be about 4 times more expensive than Microsoft's offerings
  • Reply 46 of 55
    fizzyxfizzyx Posts: 2member

What if your house gets "burgled" while you're gone for a period of time, and before you realize it the thief deletes your contacts, notes, and photos, which in turn deletes them from the cloud ?

• Reply 47 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    hungover wrote: »
    Onedrive business is $2.50 per month for 1TB

iCloud 1TB pricing? At $3.99 for 200GB, I would guess that 1TB would be about 4 times more expensive than Microsoft's offerings

I believe that Onedrive pricing only applies if you have a Sharepoint or Office 365 subscription, so it's not as cheap as you suggest.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

This. I have a. 3TB HDD in my iMac. Meanwhile my free 5GB of iCloud storage is nearly full with iOS device backups. I want a seamless way for my photos to be backed up to my iMac so that I can delete them off my devices and free up iPhone/iPad/iCloud storage.

Isn't that what Photostream was originally for?

When it was first released, it was so that photos taken on your iPhone would automatically sync to your Mac, with the most recent 1,000 photos remaining on your iPhone.

Clearly, more people want all photos to live in the cloud and to have access to all photos on all their devices.

• Reply 49 of 55
    The "Photos" announcement for me was the best thing announced in iOS 8 / OSX 10. This has been a long time coming. The current iPhoto - Photo Stream setup is a cluster f**k of confusion for most people. My hope is that this process for the new Photos solution on IOS OSX and iCloud will be seamless and simple.

ELIMINATE REDUNDANCY IN PHOTO STREAMS?
    One question I do have is if this solution will eliminate redundancy. Currently if I share a photo in a photo stream it creates a duplicate which does not make sense. It would be ideal if the Photos app allowed for the sharing of a single photo in multiple photo streams without creating duplicates, but kept the comments associated with a photo in a photo stream associated only with that stream. Ideally I only want one copy of any single photo in my library ... unless I do variations on the photo by editing and intentionally saving as a different version.

ACCESS AND SHARE ON THE WEB VIA ICLOUD?
    Also will I be able to publish a photo, an album, or my entire library to the web on a web page via iCloud? And can I access my photos library via the iCloud web interface?

VIDEO?
    Does this include storage of all video files as well as photos?

FACES?
    Will we be able to tag people in the photos and tie them to individuals in our contacts? Thus giving one more search parameter that we can use to find the photos we are looking for?
  • Reply 50 of 55

The "Photos" announcement for me was the best thing announced in iOS 8 / OSX 10.  This has been a long time coming.  The current iPhoto - Photo Stream setup is a cluster f**k of confusion for most people.  My hope is that this process for the new Photos solution on IOS OSX and iCloud will be seamless and simple.

ELIMINATE REDUNDANCY IN PHOTO STREAMS?

One question I do have is if this solution will eliminate redundancy.  Currently if I share a photo in a photo stream it creates a duplicate which does not make sense.  It would be ideal if the Photos app allowed for the sharing of a single photo in multiple photo streams without creating duplicates, but kept the comments associated with a photo in a photo stream associated only with that stream.  Ideally I only want one copy of any single photo in my library ... unless I do variations on the photo by editing and intentionally saving as a different version.

ACCESS AND SHARE ON THE WEB VIA ICLOUD?

Also will I be able to publish a photo, an album, or my entire library to the web on a web page via iCloud?  And can I access my photos library via the iCloud web interface? 

VIDEO?

Does this include storage of all video files as well as photos?

FACES?

Will we be able to tag people in the photos and tie them to individuals in our contacts?  Thus giving one more search parameter that we can use to find the photos we are looking for?

• Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I believe that Onedrive pricing only applies if you have a Sharepoint or Office 365 subscription, so it's not as cheap as you suggest.

That was once the case but it has been available since April as a standalone.

If you have an Office ProPlus subscription it is only $1.50pm for 1 TB and AFAIK it is free if you have SharePoint Online.

Whilst it is great to see apple dropping their prices the MS package represents better value, supports more platforms and has greater functionality.

• Reply 52 of 55
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:

If you have an Office ProPlus subscription it is only $1.50pm for 1 TB and AFAIK it is free if you have SharePoint Online.

Which means business users will continue to use OneDrive all the want. While Consumer will properly just pay Apple to get all their Photos backed up in iCloud.

• Reply 53 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Which means business users will continue to use OneDrive all the want. While Consumer will properly just pay Apple to get all their Photos backed up in iCloud.

Agreed, most users of any platform will just go for the options provided by the vendor.  So Apple users will opt for icloud, droid owners Google and WP users- OneDrive.

Whilst the price drops are welcomed, I suspect that most users will be happy to live within the free limits (regardless of OS).  I really can't see consumer grade cloud space being much of a money spinner whilst cellular data tariffs are so limited. Ironically the use of the cloud and subsequent increase in traffic may well result in the carriers bumping up prices or reducing limits.

Perhaps it is time for OEMS to consider branching into cellular data provision, or for cell firms to broker deals with the OEMs to exclude cloud traffic from overall data usage?

• Reply 54 of 55
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    hungover wrote: »
    Perhaps it is time for OEMS to consider branching into cellular data provision, or for cell firms to broker deals with the OEMs to exclude cloud traffic from overall data usage?

I seem to remember rumors of Apple negotiating something similar with cable internet providers recently. The general consensus was that this was a violation of net neutrality and would be shut down by the government.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

I seem to remember rumors of Apple negotiating something similar with cable internet providers recently. The general consensus was that this was a violation of net neutrality and would be shut down by the government.

In Switzerland we already have similar deals, Orange for instance offers free data usage if your using OneDrive on your Windows 8 Mobile or Tablet. Spotify and Zatoo (Swiss TV app) is also the same way, you won't be billed any data usage. It doesn't;t really matter anymore as most of our mobile providers now just offer unlimited internet access and charge for download speed, similar to the internet packages we pay for our home internet. A much better plan as who doesn't hate counting their megabytes. You guys in the US are really far behind when it comes mobile internet.