Apple's 'arrogance' wrought mediocre iTunes Radio and led to Beats buy, report says

Comments

• Reply 41 of 144
    solipsismx wrote: »
    What?! iTunes Match is far from useless. It's saved me from having to buy the largest capacity iPhone and then having to determine which songs I want to keep local or worry about doing a local sync to get any music I've loaded into iTunes on my iPhone.

My friend, and I truly hope someday I can say that in person, there are a lot of people who don't use itunes and also are not limited to the space requirements on their devices that Apple places.

(Joking) in a far off land you can put 128G of media on a card and then put that in a phone or device.

We are however talking about tech, and most people don't understand it, so that's a minority among the minority group.
  • Reply 42 of 144
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    iTunes Radio isn't that shitty. Especially for a year one product.

These reports sound more like folks being bitter that their suggestions were not taken and the final product want the way they would have done it
  • Reply 43 of 144
    I tend to buy the theory that Apple is losing its cool factor but more so that Apple realizes that their products are not as "cool" with the urban collective. For the most part Apple products are seen as products for white people, and Apple is seen as white company. Maybe Dre can change this.
  • Reply 44 of 144
    charlituna wrote: »
    iTunes Radio isn't that shitty. Especially for a year one product.

These reports sound more like folks being bitter that their suggestions were not taken and the final product want the way they would have done it

There's a difference between being bitter and being disappointed. I just think they could have done a LOT more with it than they did. Especially with everyone hitting the "I Agree" button. Most probably didn't notice that they did.

Honestly, it is what it is (always hated that phrase). They have everyone's "genius data" and itunes radios is just a hit or miss song in a specific genre. It's running off the same algorithm as their shuffle (which sucks) and their screensaver/slideshow (which sucks). It literally has to be the worst random number generator in programming history.
  • Reply 45 of 144
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ...there are a lot of people who don't use itunes and also are not limited to the space requirements on their devices that Apple places.

1) Everyone is limited by the capacity of their NAND. It doesn't matter how much capacity you have your storage limits will never exceed your capacity.

2) If they don't use the iTunes app or the Music app on an iDevice then why even mention iTunes Match? It's purpose is designed for those that use iTunes and iDevice. This is not a niche scenario.[

I can actually fit my entire "music" and I do stress music library on each.

What does having a music library small enough to fit on your devices have to do with anything? Why do I waist up to 64 or 128 GiB on storing my entire music library locally when 95% of the songs I only listen once or twice a year, if that? The beauty of iTunes Match is I can save money on a smaller capacity iPhone that would have more usable room for other apps while still having every single song at my fingertips if I want to listen to it. I have plenty of songs local if they are in my Top Rated or Most Pllayed playlists but that's it.
    So using the cloud to listen to my music is basically worthless.

No it's not.
    Don't argue, Apple bred this situation.

It should be argued because you're stance is wrong.
    It's useless to me, and from the very, very, very many people I know who own iDevices that would need that function, they didn't sign up.

And that's perfectly fine if you don't want to use it but it's not right to claim that it holds no value for anyone else. Apple make a plethora of HW and SW products and services that I don't use but I wouldn't say they are worthless.

Again, how can you say that iTunes Match is worthless for me when it 1) saves me money, 2) saves me space on my iPhone, iPad and Mac, 3) offers me every song I own without having to pick and choose what I might be in the mood for at some later date, and 4) saves me time and effort by letting me DL whatever I want locally with the touch of a button without having to go sync with iTunes on my Mac?
  • Reply 46 of 144
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

For the most part Apple products are seen as products for white people

Really?  I've never thought of Apple products that way.  What makes you think this?

• Reply 47 of 144
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member

I've not tried iTunes Radio yet. Is it even out in Hong Kong? I do however have a paid iTunes Match account and also Spotify Premium.

I use iTunes Match to upload tracks that can't be found on Spotify. In general I seem to get a better connection streaming Spotify music than iTunes Match when I am out and about but I do have to bare in mind my LTE data package only gives me 5Gb per months so certain albums I download and make available offline.  Spotify also allows me to discover new music. I'm tempted to try Beats Music but it's probably more of the same.

• Reply 48 of 144
    1) Everyone is limited by the capacity of their NAND. It doesn't matter how much capacity you have your storage limits will never exceed your capacity.

2) If they don't use the iTunes app or the Music app on an iDevice then why even mention iTunes Match? It's purpose is designed for those that use iTunes and iDevice. This is not a niche scenario.[you
    What does having a music library small enough to fit on your devices have to do with anything? Why do I waist up to 64 or 128 GiB on storing my entire music library locally when 95% of the songs I only listen once or twice a year, if that? The beauty of iTunes Match is I can save money on a smaller capacity iPhone that would have more usable room for other apps while still having every single song at my fingertips if I want to listen to it. I have plenty of songs local if they are in my Top Rated or Most Pllayed playlists but that's it.
    No it's not.
    It should be argued because you're stance is wrong.
    And that's perfectly fine if you don't want to use it but it's not right to claim that it holds no value for anyone else. Apple make a plethora of HW and SW products and services that I don't use but I wouldn't say they are worthless.

Again, how can you say that iTunes Match is worthless for me when it 1) saves me money, 2) saves me space on my iPhone, iPad and Mac, 3) offers me every song I own without having to pick and choose what I might be in the mood for at some later date, and 4) saves me time and effort by letting me DL whatever I want locally with the touch of a button without having to go sync with iTunes on my Mac?

1). I'm not sure what your getting at here. Either you are limited or your not limited because you'll never exceed your capacity. If it's what I'm guessing you're aiming at, iTunes Match only seems to match music, at least for me. I have a ton of digital content. 12TB. They can't possibly match that, and what is useful can be fit to the device very well.

2). You missed my point. For people who don't use itunes, there's no benefit. However people who do not use itunes still own iDevices. From my experience, myself not included, it it a inch scenario.

3). You didn't number it, but I know what you mean. That was also what I expected when I grabbed my iPad and phone and started traveling. Then I ran into ????no service. More times than I can count, itunes In the cloud became irrelevant not the first time, not the second or third, but It lost me among my travels and that's just it.

4) . You didn't number it.., why am I wrong and why should it be argued? You've usually provided ample references in previous statements.

5). My friend, don't let the fact that you think it's saving you space seem like a god send. Don't EVER use itunes s or iTunes Match as a backup. You're just asking for trouble.

Edit: I am writing this on an iPad. Scrolling up to read and down to write is tiresome if not rough, typing "that's great" and having the auto spell place "serpent" in it's place is also horrible. I look forward to the predictive typing . Hopefully then I will not have to correct all of my typing so that it actually spells out what I had meant to type. Editing what you type has so far been a huge drawback on iDevices.
  • Reply 49 of 144
    1). I'm not sure what your getting at here. Either you are limited or your not limited because you'll never exceed your capacity. If it's what I'm guessing you're aiming at, iTunes Match only seems to match music, at least for me. I have a ton of digital content. 12TB. They can't possibly match that, and what is useful can be fit to the device very well.

2). You missed my point. For people who don't use itunes, there's no benefit. However people who do not use itunes still own iDevices. From my experience, myself not included, it it a inch scenario.

3). You didn't number it, but I know what you mean. That was also what I expected when I grabbed my iPad and phone and started traveling. Then I ran into ????no service. More times than I can count, itunes In the cloud became irrelevant not the first time, not the second or third, but It lost me among my travels and that's just it.

4) . You didn't number it.., why am I wrong and why should it be argued? You've usually provided ample references in previous statements.

5). My friend, don't let the fact that you think it's saving you space seem like a god send. Don't EVER use itunes s or iTunes Match as a backup. You're just asking for trouble.

Based on your comment you don't understand how the Tunes Match service works and yet I've explained it a couple times in detail how it works and how it benefits me.

I don't know where to go when you post, "Then I ran into ????no service." when it's been made clear iTunes Match will allow you to put whatever you want on your device locally and when you write "For people who don't use itunes, there's no benefit." and yet they are getting their music on their iPhones in some fashion.
  • Reply 50 of 144
    Based on your comment you don't understand how the Tunes Match service works and yet I've explained it a couple times in detail how it works and how it benefits me.

I don't know where to go when you post, "Then I ran into ????no service." when it's been made clear iTunes Match will allow you to put whatever you want on your device locally and when you write "For people who don't use itunes, there's no benefit." and yet they are getting their music on their iPhones in some fashion.

My point, from a previous poster...

simtub replied to this thread on June 5, 11:48 pm
    I've not tried iTunes Radio yet. Is it even out in Hong Kong? I do however have a paid iTunes Match account and also Spotify Premium.

I use iTunes Match to upload tracks that can't be found on Spotify. In general I seem to get a better connection streaming Spotify music than iTunes Match when I am out and about but I do have to bare in mind my LTE data package only gives me 5Gb per months so certain albums I download and make available offline. Spotify also allows me to discover new music. I'm tempted to try Beats Music but it's probably more of the same.
  • Reply 51 of 144
    kiltedgreenkiltedgreen Posts: 598member
    Quote:

"The management in particular were pretty much tone-deaf in what Spotify was and that's why they're panicking now," one person said. "They didn't understand how Spotify worked ..."

OK, so even a numpty like me understands how Spotify works, but somehow Apple, full of some of the savviest tech minds on the planet and creators of the iTunes Store and the iPod "didn't understand how Spotify worked".

Right.

My tip to Tim is, have a look here: https://www.spotify.com/uk/  :)

There you go. Sorted.

• Reply 52 of 144
    kiltedgreenkiltedgreen Posts: 598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

So you're saying it takes 9 developers to make an app? I can show you a flashlight app made by a publisher who posts articles on this very site. Think it took nine people?

I'd stop digging if I were you.

• Reply 53 of 144

I know exactly how it works. Apparently it's useful to you.

You're not the mainstream audience they're looking for.
  • Reply 54 of 144
    I'd stop digging if I were you.

Hand me a shovel and tell me where I'm wrong. I don't hate Apple, I've given them a lot of my money. I'll fill that hole in if you can tell me why.
  • Reply 55 of 144
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Apple products are seen as products for white people...

Not correct.

• Reply 56 of 144
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    droidftw wrote: »

Really?  I've never thought of Apple products that way.  What makes you think this?

Especially when Apple's largest market is going to be China.
  • Reply 57 of 144
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Hand me a shovel and tell me where I'm wrong. I don't hate Apple, I've given them a lot of my money. I'll fill that hole in if you can tell me why.
    You really think 1 person wrote Infinity Blade?
  • Reply 58 of 144
    You're not the mainstream audience they're looking for

I'm using it as they intended so I'm clearly their intended audience.
  • Reply 59 of 144
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

I think you missed something... I have iTunes Match also.

I have a 128Gig iPad and 64Gig iPhone 5s. I can actually fit my entire "music" and I do stress music library on each. So using the cloud to listen to my music is basically worthless. Don't argue, Apple bred this situation. It's useless to me, and from the very, very, very many people I know who own iDevices that would need that function, they didn't sign up.

So you're saying it takes 9 developers to make an app? I can show you a flashlight app made by a publisher who posts articles on this very site. Think it took nine people?

Most people, I would say eight out of nine, were signing up for developer accounts to try the newest betas. Do you seriously disagree? If you do I'll point you to a site where it costs $49.99 to get the latest beta....

I'm curious if they'll tout developer numbers next year after they lost 1 million purchasers to the beta program.

- So iTunes match is useless TO YOU, so it can be defined as "useless", right? You have the highest capacity iPhone and iPad? Good for you. The vast majority of iOS users do not. And even the ones that might not care to fill their entire storage with music. Or, you know, they appreciate the ability to stream from any of their devices. Try to look beyond your own nose, and have a bit more humility than declaring something YOU don't personally use s "useless". 

- "So you're saying it takes exactly 9 developers to make an app?" Do you have reading comprehension issues? Did I say that? No, I did not. It might take 1 person to develop an app. or 5. Or 30. Or 50. It depends on the app. There are some extremely high quality apps out there with high production values that took large art teams to create.  Then to "prove" me wrong you point to a damn flashlight app?  Is the appstore composed only of flashlight apps? Are you thick? Stop erecting idiotic straw-men, I don't even think you know what you're arguing anymore. 

-"Most people, I would say eight out of nine, were signing up for developer accounts to try the newest betas. Do you seriously disagree?" Do I seriously disagree with a number you pulled straight out of your ass? Yeah, I just might. 

I'm sorry, but you're either being purposeful obtuse, or you're seriously ignorant and confused. The fact that you define the appstore as a repository of flashlight apps is pretty sad, not to mention intellectually dishonest. A spit in the face to the developers who have spent tens of thousands of hours developing high quality apps. Also, stop trying to dictate what you believe is mainstream You're clearly disconnected from that and have no clue. 

• Reply 60 of 144
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I don't believe a word of that story. Management didn't know what spotify was , and never listened to it until iTunes Radio failed then they had the chops to look into the obscure Beats music.

The reason it's a radio service is because it's cheaper to do that. Much cheaper. Apple would lose money the other way and probably couldn't get the deals they were looking for.