Apple's 'arrogance' wrought mediocre iTunes Radio and led to Beats buy, report says

Comments

• Reply 61 of 144
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Acquiring beats to go after a younger generation?

Lol. The youth are into iTunes. Not Beats.

Andre is pretty old. And lovine... Ain't young.

I guess apple can fire back now with ethic diversity criticism.

Beats didn't seem all that successful with half a million subscribers that they bought when they acquired MOG. and limited to the U.S. Esp in light of iTunes' 800 million and international base.
  • Reply 62 of 144
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

iTunes Radio still isn't available in the UK. I've got an iTunes Match subscription but I doubt I'd use it regularly even if it was available. The great thing about Spotify is the same thing that makes Netflix so great - ubiquity. It doesn't matter what piece of audio electronics I buy, I know it will have Spotify support. Support for iTunes Radio seems quite limited (for example, Sonos doesn't support it yet).

• Reply 63 of 144
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    It works like a gym. They make a Buck off of it because most who pay for iTunes Match don't use it. Mostly because it's useless,

Kind of like having 9million developers, and one million apps... I'm amazed they would announce such a thing.

I'd like to see you stats on the most who don't use it.
    As for your second statement, you do realize that there may be more than one developer behind certain apps.
  • Reply 64 of 144
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

So you're saying it takes 9 developers to make an app? I can show you a flashlight app made by a publisher who posts articles on this very site. Think it took nine people?

I'd stop digging if I were you.

Life's a bitch. You're not him :-), you're sure as hell not me :-). but keep being you and be happy to let other people be as silly as they like to be. That way you get a barrel of laughs out of AI.

• Reply 65 of 144
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Really?  I've never thought of Apple products that way.  What makes you think this?

Especially when Apple's largest market is going to be China.

THAT could turn out to be wishful thinking. It'll be interesting to see if Apple can beat the chinese on their own turf. Wouldn't bet on it myself.

• Reply 66 of 144
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

I think you missed something... I have iTunes Match also.

I have a 128Gig iPad and 64Gig iPhone 5s. I can actually fit my entire "music" and I do stress music library on each. So using the cloud to listen to my music is basically worthless. Don't argue, Apple bred this situation. It's useless to me, and from the very, very, very many people I know who own iDevices that would need that function, they didn't sign up.

So you're saying it takes 9 developers to make an app? I can show you a flashlight app made by a publisher who posts articles on this very site. Think it took nine people?

Most people, I would say eight out of nine, were signing up for developer accounts to try the newest betas. Do you seriously disagree? If you do I'll point you to a site where it costs $49.99 to get the latest beta....

I'm curious if they'll tout developer numbers next year after they lost 1 million purchasers to the beta program.

- So iTunes match is useless TO YOU, so it can be defined as "useless", right? You have the highest capacity iPhone and iPad? Good for you. The vast majority of iOS users do not. And even the ones that might not care to fill their entire storage with music. Or, you know, they appreciate the ability to stream from any of their devices. Try to look beyond your own nose, and have a bit more humility than declaring something YOU don't personally use s "useless". 

- "So you're saying it takes exactly 9 developers to make an app?" Do you have reading comprehension issues? Did I say that? No, I did not. It might take 1 person to develop an app. or 5. Or 30. Or 50. It depends on the app. There are some extremely high quality apps out there with high production values that took large art teams to create.  Then to "prove" me wrong you point to a damn flashlight app?  Is the appstore composed only of flashlight apps? Are you thick? Stop erecting idiotic straw-men, I don't even think you know what you're arguing anymore. 

-"Most people, I would say eight out of nine, were signing up for developer accounts to try the newest betas. Do you seriously disagree?" Do I seriously disagree with a number you pulled straight out of your ass? Yeah, I just might. 

I'm sorry, but you're either being purposeful obtuse, or you're seriously ignorant and confused. The fact that you define the appstore as a repository of flashlight apps is pretty sad, not to mention intellectually dishonest. A spit in the face to the developers who have spent tens of thousands of hours developing high quality apps. Also, stop trying to dictate what you believe is mainstream You're clearly disconnected from that and have no clue. 

Slurpy, I'd just like to see ONE post from you that doesn't end up being abusive. Just one. Just to see if you can do it ! You know .. just to see if you have any control over yourself at all.

• Reply 67 of 144
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    charlituna wrote: »
    iTunes Radio isn't that shitty. Especially for a year one product.

These reports sound more like folks being bitter that their suggestions were not taken and the final product want the way they would have done it

Yet Beats is supposedly better by $3B at 5 months. Go figure.
  • Reply 68 of 144
    There are minimum 37 million iTunes Radio listeners in the USA. Cue reported 40 million worldwide (Australia & USA).

The reason Cook said iTunes Radio did not meet expectations was that listens were not necessarily converting to downloads.
  • Reply 69 of 144
    There are minimum 37 million iTunes Radio listeners in the USA. Cue reported 40 million worldwide (Australia & USA).

The reason Cook said iTunes Radio did not meet expectations was that listens were not necessarily converting to downloads.
  • Reply 70 of 144
    iTunes radio is a totally different beast from a subscription on demand music service. For a 1.0 service I think it is doing well. Like maps I'm willing to give it time and what it mature.
  • Reply 71 of 144
    technotechno Posts: 737member

I wish I could compare them.

Sincerely,

Fanboy stuck on the wrong side of a cultural border, Canada

• Reply 72 of 144
    stargazerctstargazerct Posts: 227member
    It took the entire Apple Insider staff to write this article? What, no one or two people wanted to put their name to this garbage story with twisted facts and inaccuracies?

Was there really a "furor" over the Beats deal. A little dramatic, would't you say "AppleInsider Staff"

"So much capital"? Someone correct me if my math is wrong, but that $3B is 1.875% of Apple's $160B in capital. If you had $100 and bought something for $1.88, would you think you spent "so much of your capital" on that purchase? It just goes to show you how much the pundits think....they don't.
  • Reply 73 of 144
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

iTunes Radio isn't that shitty. Especially for a year one product.

These reports sound more like folks being bitter that their suggestions were not taken and the final product want the way they would have done it

Much like the nattering nabobs of negativism who infest threads like this one. When it comes to personal opinion being expressed as undeniable fact this place has no equal. “My” opinion is indisputable. Yours is shit. All on the same level with the bozos who published the original screed.

• Reply 74 of 144
    snailersnailer Posts: 51member
    iTunes Radio is mostly a snore. It repeats too soon, concentrates mostly on major songs and artists, isn't very deep, and worst of all, plays commercials even though I have paid for iTunes Match. It almost seems as if they don't really CARE. I'll stick with Pandora for now.
  • Reply 75 of 144
    clayderclayder Posts: 16member
    Is it April 1st?
  • Reply 76 of 144
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Buzzfeed is about as legitimate;y authoritative on American business as, say, the Mississippi Tea Party.
  • Reply 77 of 144
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    taniwha wrote: »
    THAT could turn out to be wishful thinking. It'll be interesting to see if Apple can beat the chinese on their own turf. Wouldn't bet on it myself.

Apple doesn't have to beat the Chinese manufacturers in China, Apple just has to take the middle to high end of the market.
  • Reply 78 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snailer View Post

iTunes Radio is mostly a snore. It repeats too soon, concentrates mostly on major songs and artists, isn't very deep, and worst of all, plays commercials even though I have paid for iTunes Match. It almost seems as if they don't really CARE. I'll stick with Pandora for now.

That's one of the things that bugs me: I want to listen to iTunes Radio without commercials on my iPhone, but I don't necessarily want Match on because I've selected locally stored music and don't want Match to "replace the music library on this device", and I still want the ability to quickly locally sync specific songs/albums/playlists.  But the commercial-free Radio feature only works when Match is on, which is silly.  I've already paid for it, so I should get commercial-free Radio regardless of whether I choose to actually enable Match on the device.  I primarily use Match on my iPad on wi-fi at home where data cost and network availability are not an issue.

• Reply 79 of 144
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

"former employee" and "anonymous source" = bogus story

• Reply 80 of 144
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    taniwha wrote: »

To be Apple's biggest market, the demand in China only needs to be bigger than the US. Apple doesn't have to have the most marketshare there, and they won't ever.

Do you know that Western luxury products are HIGHLY sought after by China's emerging wealthy and middle class? Everything from Audi to Cadillac, Gucci to Burberry. Have you seen the big flagship Apple Stores with long lines of Chinese consumers waiting for the next iPhone?