Lightning headphones could allow Apple to make slimmer iPhones by ditching 3.5mm headphone jack

Comments

• Reply 41 of 206
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

If Apple goes ahead with this, without have an adapter of some sort, it would be a terrible mistake.

It would alienate most Audiophiles, The best headphone out their need an Amp to power them, (right now) a iPhone its self cant power the best headphones, you can get mini amps that use 3.5mm headphone jack (Standard) Personally id have to give the lightning ones a try, its still seems like a terrible idea.

This would be a quick & easy way to kill iPod sales :p

The tech world still bitchs about how apple don't use micro usb & made lightning instead, despite the fact that lightning is far far better than micro usb, they still manage to complain about it, ive already seen videos on youtube about this, its kicking up so much anti apple hate. 

• Reply 42 of 206
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    As long as you can charge and use headphones at the same time, it won't be too big of a deal.
  • Reply 43 of 206
    jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 474member

Obviously BT headphones exist - I haven't used a wired headset in years, but Apple hasn't done anything wireless since their old BT unit, which was the best looking mono headset I've ever seen.  If Apple put some time and effort into a better wireless option for mono or stereo use, I'd be all over it and I don't think I'd be alone.  There are a lot of crummy BT headsets, mono and stereo, and they could use Apple's creative thinking to improve battery life and signal reproduction, while making them look like something people wouldn't be embarrassed to wear.

• Reply 44 of 206
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

Apple needs to focus some attention on eliminating headphone wires altogether, although the lightning headphone jack is a step in the right direction.

Bluetooth works, yes?

I think he's talking about Apple "advancing" beyond the current implementation of Bluetooth in this regard.

It will happen eventually.

• Reply 45 of 206
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    There's been a "micro-mini" connector around for decades that could be used if the only goal was to make the connector smaller. Looks and feels just like a 3.5mm connector, just smaller. Any change towards using the Lightning connector probably has more to do with passing a digital signal rather than analog.
  • Reply 46 of 206
    The headphone jack takes up significant internal volume? Bitch, please. Everyone wants gigantic phones full of gigahertzes and HD's. /s
  • Reply 47 of 206
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by launfall View Post

Bad idea and not feasible. Lightening is still too expensive, many people have incompatible headphones they paid a lot of money for, Lightening has gained virtually no traction in the marketplace, the plugs fall out at the slightest jarring...I could go on and on. This is one of those "upgrades" Apple should not try to cram down our throats.

I only agree with you because of the headphones we already have. I Grado phones which cost several hundred bucks, and wouldn't want to have to stop using them. But I would like to see this as an addition. And, by the way, Lightning plugs don't fall out all that easily. Often, a pull that will remove it, will break the small headphone plug in the socket.

A whole range of Apple (and third party) adapters for those who want them.

Guaranty.

• Reply 47 of 206
    robovuerobovue Posts: 4member
    Beats would be the first to come up with Lightning headphones. I think biometrics from sensors in the headphones will be the next wearable sensation. After all, headphones are the original wearable, and Beats made it cool to wear bulky headphones that have plenty of room to incorporate biometric sensors.

I think Beats was a mHealth wearable play for Apple.

http://wp.me/p4G7H2-3E
  • Reply 49 of 206
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by launfall View Post

Bad idea and not feasible. Lightening is still too expensive, many people have incompatible headphones they paid a lot of money for, Lightening has gained virtually no traction in the marketplace, the plugs fall out at the slightest jarring...I could go on and on. This is one of those "upgrades" Apple should not try to cram down our throats.

I don't believe for a second Apple has any intention of implementing this. This article is speculative fiction.

Sounds like you missed this:  

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/05/apple-announces-lightning-enabled-headphone-standard-in-wwdc-session

• Reply 50 of 206
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member

There's been a "micro-mini" connector around for decades that could be used if the only goal was to make the connector smaller. Looks and feels just like a 3.5mm connector, just smaller. Any change towards using the Lightning connector probably has more to do with passing a digital signal rather than analog.

Personally, I do not want to have to charge my headphones too, so BT headphones are not for me.

I also really like the newer ear pods. Stay in my ear comfortably well while walking or doing yard work and they sound pretty darn good.

• Reply 51 of 206
    cambocambo Posts: 38member
    Have any of you EVER had problems with the 1/8 inch headphone jack on anything? I have. On pretty much every ******* thing they're on - they are TERRIBLE. They break - always. It's about TIME somebody did away with that POS connector. Yay, Apple. The 1/8 inch connector is a BAD relic from the 60's and should be gone. Pretty much all headphones will be wireless soon anyway, so it's Apple looking ahead as always. Good for them for being brave enough to do it.
  • Reply 52 of 206
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) There is nothing preventing a simple adapter being used for 3.5mm headphones to work.

But first it needs to exist. Please point us to one. :)

I'm sorry… Are  you saying there needs to be an adapter first before there is anything to adapt?  :???:

• Reply 53 of 206
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    The challenge I see is for watertight case manufacturers. Basically there are two types of port covers they can use: screw or snap. The snap type port covers can't seal against anything when open. The screw type port covers are slower to open and close. One if the better known vendors of such cases, LifeProof, use both types. The screw type is used for the analog headphone jack while the Lightning port uses the snap cover. As a result, the 4-5s can stay sealed with analog headphones connected; but the seal is defeated when charging or docking. This defeat of the seal would also be present when using Lightning headphones. Of course, if Apple were to seal the actual iPhone against immersion to the same level as such watertight cases provide, then this becomes much less of an issue.
  • Reply 54 of 206
    launfall wrote: »
    the plugs fall out at the slightest jarring

WTF are you doing with your phones and plugs?

Our family had six iPhone fives, and now have six iPhone 5Ss. We also now have three iPads with lightning... None of us have problems with lightning falling out.

Not at work, not in the car, not in the truck or camper - not even on our boat - and if choppy water can't dislodge the cable I'm sure it's pretty well connected.

My cat likes to pull on the cords, pulling the phones off the table - also no issue with the cord disconnecting (although I wish it would in this instance!)

Did I just feed a troll?
  • Reply 55 of 206
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I think they would likely include an adapter for free with an iPhone or iPod. This would be a really major change and including a free adapter would help mitigate the criticism. I doubt an adapter would cost very much since you are only carrying audio which is a lot less complicated than a video or data signal. Perhaps one other reason for this move is that Apple eventually wants to make a waterproof iPhone and the headphone jack is a hard one to protect from water. Since Apple controls lightning, maybe they already have a plan to protect that port from water. Could this be the real reason why they want to transition to lightning? 

They didn't, that I recall, include a free 30 pin to lightning adapter when they made that change so I'm doubtful.

But they did include video adapters with every Macintosh for years and years.

• Reply 56 of 206
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Lightning is smart. Two ports on the phone would mean one each for charging or headphones. Whatever you plug itn it knows. It could probably allow dual headphones (can't see a high demand for that).
  • Reply 57 of 206

The new spec implies that each set of headphones would at least have its own DAC capable of taking the specified Lighting encoding (currently a single DAC from Wolfson, I believe), so any existing headphones would not work unless the "adaptor" was really a DAC that converts Lighting-formatted (whatever it's called; I haven't looked it up) digital signals to analog.

• Reply 58 of 206
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

It will be an inconvenience and additional expense for other manufacturers. Makes perfect sense for Apple though. Turn all Beats headphones into Lightning. Most Apple users who want headphones will opt for Beats because adapters suck. 

Some high end manufacturers will probably offer Lightning support too, but in general, I wouldn't expect many generic manufacturers will want to stock two different models and will probably stay with 3.5mm and require an adapter for Apple devices.   

Personally I think Apple should keep the 3.5mm, it is a worldwide standard. If lightning audio offers better control and more features fine but why lose the standard port? Plus they would need to change all the Macs as well.

• Reply 59 of 206
    Miserable idea. The last thing I want is a poor quality (from an audio standpoint) adapter in the sound chain so I can use my good B&W headphones with my iPhone. Bluetooth is fine from a convenience standpoint but not so much from an audio quality standpoint. And unless they added a second lightening port, we wouldn't be able to charge and listen simultaneously.

Put this idea in the dumpster.
  • Reply 60 of 206
    rs9rs9 Posts: 68member
    Beats blue tooth headphones?