Apple's 'first wearable device' affirmed to be on track for October debut

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2014
Apple is reportedly planning to hold an event in October where it will introduce its "first wearable device," an accessory widely anticipated to be a wrist-worn "iWatch," to presumably go on sale before this holiday shopping season.

iWatch
Artist's rendition of purported Apple smartwatch. | Source: Yrving Torrealba

While he declined to refer to the device as a watch, Re/code's John Paczkowski disclosed the info on a cryptic "wearable device" on Friday, citing people familiar with Apple's plans. Those sources reportedly said that Apple's wearable device will capitalize on the new HealthKit tools for developers that Apple will include in the forthcoming iOS 8 mobile operating system.

The timing corroborates with what Nikkei reported earlier Friday, although the newspaper went as far as to say the device Apple is planning to debut is a so-called "iWatch." That report also claimed that the device will sport a flexible OLED touchscreen, and that Apple is planning to build between 3 million and 5 million units per month.

If Apple sticks with its recent release schedule, it would likely unveil its next iPhones in September alongside the public launch of iOS 8. Apple would then hold another event in October to debut new iPads, Macs, and potentially an "iWatch" this year.

Speculation has been mounting for years that Apple may soon enter the growing wearable devices market with its own smart wrist watch. Anticipation of such a device has been bolstered by a number of patents and investments from the company.

The anticipated "iWatch" is expected to focus on health and fitness for users, going beyond simple step counting to measure biometrics data from a user's wrist. Those claims have been supported by a number of hires made by Apple in the fitness and medicine fields, as well as fashion-related hires that may signal an interest in visually appealing wearable devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    "Apple...affirmed to" = language to obfuscate who is "affirming." It's not Apple that is affirming this. AI does this all the time in their headlines.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

iPod "pendant" next year?

• Reply 3 of 23
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

This is happening. I am sure of it.

• Reply 4 of 23
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

If John actually got any information from Apple, then the Apple employee will end up being fired, especially after Apple got all those "cops" to check on leaks in China. John isn't above the law and neither are the Apple employees.

So, until Apple announces it, it isn't FACT.

• Reply 5 of 23
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    I will die laughing if it turns out to be eyewear (iWear an eyeWatch :))
  • Reply 6 of 23
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    "Affirmed"...?

Well, I say it will NOT be out October.

There, now it "has been denied."

Time for more headlines :)
  • Reply 7 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Assuming that this is true (which is a Godzilla-sized assumption), why are Apple  again walking headlong into a autumn release fest.  Surely it makes more sense to stagger releases of your product line throughout the year, rather than have one super heavy period?

• Reply 8 of 23
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    vaporland wrote: »

Nah, the iWatch will definitely be a TV. ;)
  • Reply 9 of 23
    manfrommarsmanfrommars Posts: 104member

This will be the first truly new product under Cook's leadership.  I'm curious to see how this goes.  Assuming it goes at all.

• Reply 10 of 23
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

I will die laughing if it turns out to be eyewear (iWear an eyeWatch image)

Or the next Apple TV....iWatch...like iWatch TV. HAHAHA! Wouldn't that be something! It would be the biggest joke of the tech century. 

I seriously doubt anything other than a watch type device would happen judging by the hires they've made in the past year and how things are shaping up for iOS 8 and how apps are build using the new Swift language. 

• Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by manfrommars View Post

This will be the first truly new product under Cook's leadership.  I'm curious to see how this goes.  Assuming it goes at all.

Hardware, yes.  iBooks Author was a truly new software product.  That's being snarky of me, though. :S  But I agree - probably we're all curious to see how it all turns out.  After the WWDC keynote I will be surprised if there aren't some surprises with said wearable.

• Reply 12 of 23
    vaporland wrote: »

It will be an eye patch.

Ad tagline to be:
    To err is human, but to arr be iPirate.
  • Reply 13 of 23

3D

3D

3D

3D

• Reply 14 of 23
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

I want iPod PocketWatch, with the chain.

...and a monocle.

• Reply 15 of 23
    wolfhow1wolfhow1 Posts: 10member
    If the iWatch looks like the AI artist rendition....Puke!!! Jony has been body snatched by Monkey Boy. That is one clunky POS!!!
  • Reply 16 of 23
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Assuming that this is true (which is a Godzilla-sized assumption), why are Apple  again walking headlong into a autumn release fest.  Surely it makes more sense to stagger releases of your product line throughout the year, rather than have one super heavy period?

Not if Apple wants to sell the iWatch as an accessory to the new iPhone. Would make sense to release them at the same time to they can both benefit from the publicity of the other. Whatever happens, Apple is sure to have a monstrous fall and christmas season. Likely to smash all sales records once again. 

• Reply 17 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I believe the iPod Shuffle was Apple's first wearable device.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    robovuerobovue Posts: 4member
  • Reply 19 of 23
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

I will die laughing if it turns out to be eyewear (iWear an eyeWatch image)

Or the next Apple TV....iWatch...like iWatch TV. HAHAHA! Wouldn't that be something! It would be the biggest joke of the tech century. 

I seriously doubt anything other than a watch type device would happen judging by the hires they've made in the past year and how things are shaping up for iOS 8 and how apps are build using the new Swift language. 

How about: the iApp?

• Reply 20 of 23
    vvswarupvvswarup Posts: 336member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfhow1 View Post

If the iWatch looks like the AI artist rendition....Puke!!! Jony has been body snatched by Monkey Boy. That is one clunky POS!!!

I totally agree. Why AI continues to show that "rendition" is beyond me. For starters, it still sports the iOS6 theme. That's so 2 years ago.