Craig Federighi kicks off Apple's WWDC 2014 Bash featuring Bastille

Posted:
in Mac Software edited June 2014
After a busy week of sessions, Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference has regularly featured a Thursday evening party in Yerba Buena Gardens. This year Apple invited Bastille to perform.

WWDC 2014 Bash

Developers lined up around the block to gain entry into the Bash, where local restaurants offered a range of small plate food ranging from Indian curry to Mexican mole.

The first beer to run out of stock was San Francisco's own Anchor Steam (although if you knew which drink stand to visit, you could continue finding Anchors all night).

WWDC 2014 Bash

Apple's Craig Federighi (above) took the stage to introduce English rock band Bastille, but as the company's senior vice president of Software Engineering covering both OS X and iOS development, Federighi ended up getting some rock star treatment of his own.

As Bastille took the stage, Federighi appeared at the back corner of the event where a growing line of developers waited for an opportunity to say hi and snap a photo with the lead architect of Apple's software.

WWDC 2014 Bash

As the line grew, Federighi looked up and observed "well, that's quite a line," but spending some time taking photos with fans didn't dent his smile (or his famously big hair), even as the line began stretching down the plaza.

WWDC 2014 Bash

WWDC 2014 Bash

Meanwhile the other rock stars, Dan Smith, Kyle Simmons, Will Farquarson and drummer Chris Wood (wearing a WWDC 2014 jacket, visible from the backstage area below) played a series of their own hits (including "Pompeii," which played before the Keynote and throughout the conference as part of Apple's WWDC playlist) and a few comical covers, including a rendition of TLC's "No Scrubs."

WWDC 2014 Bash

WWDC 2014 Bash

Previous WWDC Bash music acts in recent years have included Vampire Weekend, Neon Trees, Michael Franti and Spearhead and OK Go, who also played in WWDC conference jackets back in 2010.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Wonders who will pay to play at Samsung's Tizen World Developers Conference...? ;)
  • Reply 2 of 43
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Wonders who will pay to play at Samsung's Tizen World Developers Conference...? image

Samsung posts free passes in Stackoverflow, whom ever it contacted to promote their tools, languages and Tizen OS.

And, at the prominent centers it will throw away pass-pamphlets.  

• Reply 3 of 43
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I remember when Craig was taking over for all software and people had their doubts about his ability to lead in the right direction. I think he's done an excellent job at doing what he was appointed to do. He's a great presenter and has fun on stage. Judging from the line of people waiting to see him, I think others seem to like him very well too.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As the line grew, Federighi looked up and observed "well, that's quite a line," but spending some time taking photos with fans didn't dent his smile (or his famously big hair), even as the line began stretching down the plaza.

WWDC 2014 Bash

Craig is the new Star!  Wow!  My respect and liking for him increased after this WWDC. 

• Reply 5 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I remember when Craig was taking over for all software and people had their doubts about his ability to lead in the right direction. I think he's done an excellent job at doing what he was appointed to do. He's a great presenter and has fun on stage. Judging from the line of people waiting to see him, I think others seem to like him very well too.

So now he is doing the jobs of Scott Forstall and Bertrand Serlet. Not so bad.  Really he is Superman. :)

• Reply 6 of 43
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Wonders who will pay to play at Samsung's Tizen World Developers Conference...? image

No idea who, but it will likely be a cover band ;)

• Reply 7 of 43
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Jony Ive was there too. And now we know....the guy does know how to crack a smile. :D

[IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/10pt475.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/4udndg.jpg[/IMG]
  • Reply 8 of 43
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    chandra69 wrote: »
    Craig is the new Star!  Wow!  My respect and liking for him increased after this WWDC. 
    Yep. Craig is awesome. :)
  • Reply 9 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Federighi is the real rock star!

• Reply 10 of 43
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Jony Ive was there too. And now we know....the guy does know how to crack a smile. image

Jony Ive happens to go to the same gym that I do in downtown SF.  I've bumped into him numerous times, sometimes literally as we're trying to get to wherever we're wanting to go in there.  He is a genuinely nice guy, and incredibly polite.  He is a little quiet, but only because (I think) he wants to keep a low-profile and not be a fan-magnet.  Just an everyday normal guy. :)

• Reply 11 of 43
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member

Craig is kicking some azz!!!! Way to go my man.

• Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Jony Ive happens to go to the same gym that I do in downtown SF.  I've bumped into him numerous times, sometimes literally as we're trying to get to wherever we're wanting to go in there.  He is a genuinely nice guy, and incredibly polite.  He is a little quiet, but only because (I think) he wants to keep a low-profile and not be a fan-magnet.  Just an everyday normal guy. :)

Seems odd that he would use a public gym for his workout, but then again I don't know him.

Equinox?

• Reply 13 of 43
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

It's funny what people remember because I seem to recall many people who thought Craig would be an excellent candidate for next in line if Tim ever stepped down.

• Reply 14 of 43
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Heard just a bit of the music while commuting back home last night.

So near yet so far.

BTW I went to AltConf just one day.  It was across the street from Moscone West, so I saw plenty of WWDC attendees.  Saw a few '11' jackets, a few '12' jackets, quite a few '14' jackets.  But no '13' jackets.  Superstition maybe?

• Reply 15 of 43
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Milli Vanilli

;)

• Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Milli Vanilli

;)

And a dozen Elvis impersonators.

• Reply 17 of 43
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Seems odd that he would use a public gym for his workout, but then again I don't know him.

Equinox?

It's not a "public" gym per se, and it definitely is much more expensive to be a member there than "24 Hour Fitness".  The membership dues alone is enough to keep the regular public out of there.  I don't see him there too often, maybe once a month but I think it's more to do with our erratic work hours than anything else.

No, it's not the Equinox.  Unless he makes it public, Out of respect for the guy, I'll keep the name and location private. :)

• Reply 18 of 43
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

Maybe Active/Club One? They're a high-end SF-based sports club that operates in-house gyms for corporate clients.

There might be an arrangement to use their outside ("public") facilities; some might take advantage of this if they'd rather work out at a facility closer to where they live, rather than drive to the gym on the Apple campus.

Not that it really matters to the public which gym he works out at.

A lot of larger corporations have negotiated discounted memberships with premium gym chains anyhow.

• Reply 19 of 43
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It's not a "public" gym per se, and it definitely is much more expensive to be a member there than "24 Hour Fitness".  The membership dues alone is enough to keep the regular public out of there.  I don't see him there too often, maybe once a month but I think it's more to do with our erratic work hours than anything else.

No, it's not the Equinox.  Unless he makes it public, Out of respect for the guy, I'll keep the name and location private. :)

Very good of you. 

I also agree with all the praise for Craig Federighi. He did an excellent job. Made it very enjoyable. He gave new meaning to the phrase, "having the audience eating out of his hand!" :)

• Reply 20 of 43
    alcstarheelalcstarheel Posts: 554member
    Definitely the shortest DED article in a long time ;)

I wish I lived in Cali. I would have drove out to see this and meet Craig. He has definitely become the (developer) face of Apple.