OS X Yosemite first look: Spotlight search

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    [SIZE=4]Next year at this time, Google will be so "last year"...[/SIZE]
  • Reply 22 of 40
    kerryb wrote: »
    Yosemite will be a mountainous upgrade.

It certainly won't be a walk in the park.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    murbarmurbar Posts: 4member

Currently, when you do a spotlight search, you can arrow down to the result you want to locate and then press command + return/enter to open the file's location in Finder.

• Reply 24 of 40
    murbarmurbar Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by murbar View Post

Currently, when you do a spotlight search, you can arrow down to the result you want to locate and then press command + return/enter to open the file's location in Finder.

that was for Inkling... how do I delete a post :/

• Reply 25 of 40
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

I've just started using Yosemite on my iMac and I like the UI so far. I was a little apprehensive about the dock because in pictures it looked like it regressed to Tiger style.

However, seeing it on my Mac, I think it looks really nice. I also like the fonts they used. Maybe it is just that they styles have changed that I like them. But overall, I an really excited to test drive 10.10.

I just can't wait to try Handoff.

• Reply 26 of 40
    inkling wrote: »
    Is that graphic right? Does Spotlight still given minor information like a file's creation date but not where it is?

Crazy! When I search for a file, I may not want to open it. I want to find out where it is, so I can, for instance, move it somewhere else. That's the essence of a search. Yet I've not been able to find out how to do that in the current Spotlight and that's apparent not in the new version either.

Apple seems to think we want to use Spotlight in lieu of finding something. Often we want to use it to find it. Duh!

You can do that since at least OS X Lion. To show the path/location of a search result, hover around the desired search result, wait until its quicklook preview appears, and then hit Command+alt. As others have said, if you want to go to that folder, hit command+enter.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    bengbeng Posts: 34member
    One of the things I like least about OSX is the lousy performance of Spotlight. Adding all the extras is fine if they can just make Spotlight find anything on the Mac itself.

I can type in the simplest thing, like "keyboard symbols" (I have a file called Apple Keyboard Symbols), and it will present a list that doesn't have Apple, keyboard, or symbols in it - how about "photo" being in the list??????

The alternative to use the finder (Find command), then pull down Name/Contains, and then type into the search window is ridiculous! It works, but is a pain to use.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I have this romantic notion of only having the latest and greatest iPhone and an iPad as my only tech devices in my home/life.

I.e., no iMacs or laptops anymore. Probably a little optimistic on my part right now. :)

I have to say I was so impressed with Monday's Keynote, especially OSX Yosemite that I may put off the above scenario for the time being and buy a new 27" updated iMac in the Fall. I would not mind the a new iMac still being my digital hub along with the iPad, iPhone, iCloud, TimeCapsule and ATV.

Good post.

• Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eric Swinson View Post

That's a lot of things I currently use Google for. Cutting out the opportunity to have my search for facts and data sidetracked by an advertisement really hits at Google's core business.

Good. I personally, as matter of practice, try to avoid all things Google. No offense. :)

Me too.

• Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Yes; nice to see Nicolas Cage featured.

• Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

The Rock (Nicolas Cage) of all upgrades.

• Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

Not to be confused with Marmite.

• Reply 33 of 40
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Good post.

Thanks, Benjamin. Nice of you to say so. :)

Best

• Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Good post.

Thanks, Benjamin. Nice of you to say so. :)

Pleasure. ????

• Reply 35 of 40
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

I can't get it to work.

Does someone have the same problem?

• Reply 36 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    clemynx wrote: »
    I can't get it to work.
    Does someone have the same problem?

You can't Spotlight to work?
  • Reply 37 of 40
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I found the problem. The OS and international settings must be set to English for the new functions to work.
  • Reply 38 of 40

Pressing Cmd-alt (to view the file's location without opening it's containing folder)  is not working for me since updating to Yosemite. I used this feature all the time! Have you confirmed that it works in Yosemite? I can't be the only person who noticed this feature is missing!

• Reply 39 of 40

I finally found the solution to this problem! In Yosemite, you simply hold down the Command key and the highlighted item's path will show up! In Mavericks it was two buttons (cmd+option I believe). I was panicking at first when I thought they took away this feature! :)

• Reply 40 of 40
    mactybmactyb Posts: 1member

"I finally found the solution to this problem! In Yosemite, you simply hold down the Command key and the highlighted item's path will show up! In Mavericks it was two buttons (cmd+option I believe). I was panicking at first when I thought they took away this feature! :)"

Thank you, ahaurat -yes, i was panicking also!

I've been looking for a solution to this problem ever since upgrading to Yosemite. I've always found Spotlight very useful just to find a path and not necessarily go to the selected search item.