OS X Yosemite first look video: Handoff

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77

I can't believe that so many in the (pop) financial media scoffed at the WWDC announcements. I guess if there aren't enough shiny things to catch their attention, things that actually help non-Hollywood types do more productive things don't matter.

As soon as I heard about the ability to make and receive calls (even by clicking links in Safari), I became elated. I didn't see enough of a reason to upgrade my iMac from Lion to Mountain Lion or Mavericks. But I WILL have Yosemite. To me, for my purposes, this is truly great stuff. And with a larger iPhone(s) on the horizon, I think Apple is poised to beat back Samsung in the premium smartphone market. I haven't been this excited about Apple products and software in a very, very long time.

• Reply 62 of 77
    footbarfootbar Posts: 1member

I found a blog that is violating your copyright ;)

http://macnews.tistory.com/2267

• Reply 63 of 77
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peter Windle View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

That happens in Pages etc via iCloud anyway, as long as you have an Internet connection.

I would really love to see this happen WITHOUT iCloud - via bluetooth preferably AND not just Pages documents... am I dreaming?

Yes. It's iCloud or the 'ighway.

• Reply 64 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

If I have three half finished emails and two Numbers document open and in progress in my work Mac.... How will this transfer to my iPhone? And when I get home will I be able to open Mail and Numbers on my home Mac and continue work? Anybody know?

As I understand it, the handoff feature will only work for the active app and document - it will not present you with a list of open apps and documents to choose from.

However, for any app that saves your work in iCloud, you already have the capability to access the document from any device.

The trick lies in how frequently document edits are auto-saved to iCloud and how quickly those changes are made available to other devices. Currently, it can take minutes for document changes to sync to iCloud and I don't believe edits are saved in real time. According to Apple, "Auto Save in OS X Lion saves during pauses in your work and, if you work continuously, it will save after 5 minutes."

In most apps these days, iCloud syncs within seconds.

• Reply 65 of 77

This iCloud thing erks me.

Why? Multiple reasons...

1. I have 30,000+ photos that I want to share via iPhoto and since Apple annoyingly removed peer to peer sharing, iCloud seems to be the only way I can do this, when companies REMOVE functionality and then provide an alternative that only works over the internet for (currently) a 1000 photos, well, that's not an option, that's removing functionality and NOT providing an alternative.

2. Even if I do share 30,000+ photos over the internet, exactly how badly will that perform...? Right now, my internet and local network traffic is maxed out and that's only a few devices and basic functionality, adding more content to the iCloud is only going to make that worse.

3. I don't want Apple to control my content. Sorry, but I was around when they provided things like iWeb and dotmac - then they changed everything, again, removing functionality... that was disruptive.

4. Why can't my server do this? If Apple had the same iCloud functionality available on my server (content sharing etc) then I would be glad to pay for this, rather than subscribe to the "cloud" - this is feeling more and more like a Microsoft experience. GIVE ME THE CONTROL, NOT TAKE IT AWAY!!!

• Reply 66 of 77
    Quote:

This iCloud thing irks me.

etc.

• Reply 67 of 77
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

This iCloud thing erks me.

Why? Multiple reasons...

1. I have 30,000+ photos that I want to share via iPhoto and since Apple annoyingly removed peer to peer sharing, iCloud seems to be the only way I can do this, when companies REMOVE functionality and then provide an alternative that only works over the internet for (currently) a 1000 photos, well, that's not an option, that's removing functionality and NOT providing an alternative.

2. Even if I do share 30,000+ photos over the internet, exactly how badly will that perform...? Right now, my internet and local network traffic is maxed out and that's only a few devices and basic functionality, adding more content to the iCloud is only going to make that worse.

3. I don't want Apple to control my content. Sorry, but I was around when they provided things like iWeb and dotmac - then they changed everything, again, removing functionality... that was disruptive.

4. Why can't my server do this? If Apple had the same iCloud functionality available on my server (content sharing etc) then I would be glad to pay for this, rather than subscribe to the "cloud" - this is feeling more and more like a Microsoft experience. GIVE ME THE CONTROL, NOT TAKE IT AWAY!!!

Create folders.

Host your photo's somewhere else e.g Flickr they now let you use a Terabyte.

Although why you consider it crucial to want to share 30,000 photo's is beyond me.

What you send a link to people saying browse away?

• Reply 68 of 77
    benson80benson80 Posts: 1member
    is this something similar? done in 2009 for windows
  • Reply 69 of 77
    i have dev account install both ios8 on iphon 5 and on my mac.
    now nothing is work
    i need to do some ting to enable communcation?
    icloud is working
    in pref of the mac i enable handoff do i need to enable in iphone or what i need to do to create comuncation pleas help
  • Reply 70 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eran Schiller View Post

now nothing is work

icloud is working

in pref of the mac i enable handoff do i need to enable in iphone or what i need to do to create comuncation pleas help

First enable the English language; then get back to us.

• Reply 71 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    now nothing is work
    icloud is working

1) Not exactly helpful to say "now nothing is work[sic]".

2) If you do a web search or check with the Apple dev forums or read the release notes for the betas you'll see that Handoff has plenty of bugs that prevent it from working properly (or at all) for most users.

• Reply 72 of 77
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeBoston View Post

2010... I dunno, with the Macbook Pro try 2012 cause that's when they started to add Bluetooth 4.0.   My Late-2011 MBP only has 2.1  It would be strange to see Apple feature out a system they sold just 2 years ago, but then again they do this often with their iOS devices so it's definitely possible.

You can add Bluetooth 4.0 to an older Mac with a $12 USB dongle and a little tinkering with kext files.

So the two big questions are:

1) Will the Handoff feature require Bluetooth 4.0?

2) Assuming BT 4.0 is required, will Yosemite allow Handoff on an older Mac with a Bluetooth 4 handoff or will they restrict the feature to Macs with native BT 4.0?

• Reply 73 of 77
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    now nothing is work
    icloud is working

You've got to be kidding. Everyone knows better than to install beta software on their primary computing devices. Please voluntarily drop out of the developer program.
  • Reply 74 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    freediverx wrote: »
    You can add Bluetooth 4.0 to an older Mac with a $12 USB dongle and a little tinkering with kext files.

So the two big questions are:

1) Will the Handoff feature require Bluetooth 4.0?

2) Assuming BT 4.0 is required, will Yosemite allow Handoff on an older Mac with a Bluetooth 4 handoff or will they restrict the feature to Macs with native BT 4.0?

I don't think it's required. Many things would work better by having a WiFi on a LAN orchestrate Handoff.

You've got to be kidding. Everyone knows better than to install beta software on their primary computing devices. Please voluntarily drop out of the developer program.

I don't know better. I love to install the betas on my primary devices. If I have an issue I'll solve it or deal with it.
  • Reply 75 of 77
    This is not handoff. Handoff (when it finally works) is the immediate continuation of your work from one device to the other. If you are on a desktop or some other machine and want to continue your work at home on another device, then use a cloud-compatible application, such as Pages, Numbers or Keynote. The Cloud automatically saves the copy of your document.

For email, to be honest, I do not use an Apple-based email server. I use gmail, and if I am authoring an email, I just make sure it is saved as a draft (on a Mac happens automatically, on an iDevice may have to close/cancel and select "Save Draft").
  • Reply 76 of 77

Well I did get the Hands Off option in DP2 but than when I upgraded, the option was gone, but just wanted to check with you guys, has any one figured out on how to get this option work on MacBookPro Late 2011, ? 

• Reply 77 of 77
    Originally Posted by Aman Arora View Post

...how to get this option work on MacBookPro Late 2011, ? 

It has Bluetooth 2.1, so it can’t be done. That might change, but I doubt it.