Apple's new iCloud storage plans: Cheap for consumers, even cheaper for developers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 187
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Hiitchhyker knows as little about Ford as he does about Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 187

The article states that starting from the free option, an upgrade costing "$20 per year adds just 10 gigabytes of additional space", but the chart shows a total of 10 GB; i.e., an additional 5 GB.

• Reply 23 of 187
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    djkikrome wrote: »
    Hopefully apple won't abandon this and us like they did with mac.com and me.com, both of which I put plenty of money into. I really missed my gallery for sharing photos and videos with family.

That is one area that still needs work. They should bring back the homepage of old and use it as a launch point for all web accessible galleries etc.
  • Reply 24 of 187
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    melgross wrote: »
    While those prices are cheaper than before, they aren't cheap. I think that at least 20GB should be free. Then $1 a month for 50GB.

These numbers don't seem as big as they did just a few years ago.

Still too expensive. Apple has billions of dollars in the bank, everyone should get 1TB for free. And iPhone and iPad costs should be cut in half. Plus if you buy two iPhones or iPads you should get a free one. Apple can afford it
  • Reply 25 of 187
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    djkikrome wrote: »
    Hopefully apple won't abandon this and us like they did with mac.com and me.com, both of which I put plenty of money into. I really missed my gallery for sharing photos and videos with family.

You can share a website link still for anyone to go to and view and make comments.
  • Reply 26 of 187
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Still too expensive. Apple has billions of dollars in the bank, everyone should get 1TB for free. And iPhone and iPad costs should be cut in half. Plus if you buy two iPhones or iPads you should get a free one. Apple can afford it

For every purchase (of anything, including iTunes) you make directly from Apple, you should get 1 point. After 12 points you get one free share of AAPL.

• Reply 27 of 187
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

Hiitchhyker knows as little about Ford as he does about Apple.

The threshold for creating a new account and posting drivel is amazingly low.

• Reply 28 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post

With stream, my parents couldn't see it because they have an old OS and my other family couldn't see it on windoze because they had to download apple software. 

No they didn't.

You can share a link and they can open it on any browser or device (including Android).

• Reply 29 of 187
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    chris_ca wrote: »
    For every purchase (of anything, including iTunes) you make directly from Apple, you should get 1 point. After 12 points you get one free share of AAPL.

So for every twelve 69¢ tracks I buy I should get a share of AAPL stock worth over $92? :???:
  • Reply 30 of 187
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    melgross wrote: »
    While those prices are cheaper than before, they aren't cheap. I think that at least 20GB should be free. Then $1 a month for 50GB.

These numbers don't seem as big as they did just a few years ago.
    Most definitely, however it's progress, they are ahead of Dropbox now yet are still behind google(which might be worth it). Don't see why 20 gb free and 50 gb for $10 a year should not be something soon.
  • Reply 31 of 187
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So for every twelve 69¢ tracks I buy I should get a share of AAPL stock worth over $92? image

Quite a bargain, yes?

Sorry. I thought the /s was assumed (along the lines of charlituna's response to melgross in that Apple has so much money, everything should be dirt cheap and practically given away!)

• Reply 32 of 187
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

It's early for me and I've only had one cup of coffee, so I might be wrong, but the article has Google Drive at this:  "That same $100 per year would buy twice the space -- 100 gigabytes -- from Dropbox or Box.com and a whopping 10 terabytes from Google Drive". .... but the graph says this :  1TB for 119.88. Coloured me confused.  :\ 

• Reply 33 of 187
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hitchhyker View Post

Will we have the normal teething issues whilst Apple Users do Apples research and development for nothing. Apples track record indicates we will be abandoned in 18 months time when a revised scheme breaks.

Apple has lost its way and is no longer leading but is now like Ford, let others come up ideas and then improves it.

I am a very long standing Apple User from the IIE but feel we no longer matter, Apple knows best, well it does not and certainly ignores many issues raised by its users.

Love how entitled, whiny, agenda-driven trolls like you will hang a noose around Apple's head forever for the fact that they decided to revamp .mac to iCloud, which is now infinitely better than .mac could ever have been. Apple's "research and development for nothing"? How the **** do you figure? Companies like Google launch and drop products everyday.

You're an incredibly silly, petty person if you think there's any chance at all that Apple will "drop" iCloud, which is now deeply engrained in pretty much every single device and app they have. You seem unable to grasp the fact that in the technology industry, you sometimes need to go and completely restructure something to make it better. MobileMe was always a mess, iCloud is a transition that needed to happen, and Apple has done nothing but continue to expand, invest in, and improve the ultra-ambitious service since it launched. You're so blinded by your irrational rage that you want to pretend that Apple will just suddenly drop iCloud someday, and make every single one of their devices useless - because they had to audacity to rebuild their cloud services several years ago out of necessity. Are you really pining for the days of MobileMe, and butthurt by the fact that its gone? Amazing. 

By the way, SJ is the one behind the iCloud transition, he's the one that launched it, so the "Apple has lost it's way" comment from you is hilarious. There's not a SHRED of evidence Apple will "abandon" in 18 months, as you childishly fantasize- Apple has done nothing but build on iCloud and integrate it even deeper into every single aspect of their business. You'd have to be insane to think thats the case. Also, in contrast to your assertion, this past WWDC has shown in no uncertain terms that Apple listens to feedback, and are always willing to change and revise their policies. But I guess you're hateful because Apple won't come to your fucking house and ask YOU how to run their company. "Apple has lost its way"- which is why this past WWDC was considered by developers and observers as the best in their history? Which "way" should Apple be heading? You have no clue- but those words are easy to spout by unimaginative, intellectually lazy people who haven't created a thing in their lives. And comparing Apple to Ford is such a  odd statement, as Ford has made a massive comeback the last few years after being on the verge of bankruptcy. What a silly, sad little troll you are. 

Quote:

But you couldn't share with everyone with any browser like before and that was the big loss for me. Everyone I know doesn't have a mac to the newest is so it didn't work well. The gallery was a web page which worked for all.

Because whining and bitching on a message-board is way easier than the ONE CLICK it takes to turn a photo-stream into a public website accessible from anywhere. Amazing.  

• Reply 34 of 187
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    chris_ca wrote: »
    Quite a bargain, yes?

Sorry. I thought the /s was assumed (along the lines of charlituna's response to melgross in that Apple has so much money, everything should be dirt cheap and practically given away!)

Ah, I hadn't read the rest of the thread.

newbee wrote: »
    It's early for me and I've only had one cup of coffee, so I might be wrong, but the article has Google Drive at this:  "That same $100 per year would buy twice the space -- 100 gigabytes -- from Dropbox or Box.com and a whopping 10 terabytes from Google Drive". .... but the graph says this :  1TB for 119.88. Coloured me confused.  :\  

It's 1 TiB for $9.99 per month or $119.88 per year. 10 TiB is $99.99 per month or $1199.88 per year.

• Reply 35 of 187
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Quite a bargain, yes?

You know, it's getting VERY difficult to tell what is /s and what is not /s anymore (not that it was easy before, really).

I was going to say that with the purchase of every new iPhone you should get 1TB of storage and a new iMac.  Then I was worried that people would think that I was serious. :)

• Reply 36 of 187
    The new pricing seems like a good deal to me, I'll be getting the 200gb which should be more than enough to store my photos and a few files. The fact that iTunes purchases don't count against this is a huge plus. I hate though that I still can't tag photos for easy searching, particularly since Apple made such a big deal out of tags for Mavericks.

The .99$ entry point is very non threatening to consumers. Since Apple is always looking far down the road (100-200 years according to Cue), it makes sense that they want to start getting people used to paying for services so they can gradually expand market share into lower margin markets without sacrificing revenue.

Edit: I think expanding into lower markets is Apple's goal, although they need to do it safely, meaning not sacrificing their hold on the high end of the market and/or weakening the company (e.g. diminishing the brand, or profitability). My fantasy is that eventually the only people left using android are going to be a small minority of Chinese peasant farmers and Apple hating techies (no offense to Chinese peasant farmers).
  • Reply 37 of 187
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member

So, iDisk is back.  About time.

Of course, they're idiots for killing it in the first place, and I'm probably not going to use it, I've already got other solutions in place at this point.

• Reply 38 of 187
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member
    Quote:

But you couldn't share with everyone with any browser like before and that was the big loss for me. Everyone I know doesn't have a mac to the newest is so it didn't work well. The gallery was a web page which worked for all.

In case the other replies didn't clue you in, that feature is still available and always has been. On the iPad, tap "People" in your shared Photostream. Scroll down and turn on "Public Website" and it'll give you a URL to send to people. It works similar on Mac, but the UI is a little different.

• Reply 39 of 187
    slurpy wrote: »
    Love how entitled, whiny, agenda-driven trolls like you will hang a noose around Apple's head forever for the fact that they decided to revamp .mac to iCloud, which is now infinitely better than .mac could ever have been. Apple's "research and development for nothing"? How the **** do you figure? Companies like Google launch and drop products everyday.

You're an incredibly silly, petty person if you think there's any chance at all that Apple will "drop" iCloud, which is now deeply engrained in pretty much every single device and app they have. You seem unable to grasp the fact that in the technology industry, you sometimes need to go and completely restructure something to make it better. MobileMe was always a mess, iCloud is a transition that needed to happen, and Apple has done nothing but continue to expand, invest in, and improve the ultra-ambitious service since it launched. You're so blinded by your irrational rage that you want to pretend that Apple will just suddenly drop iCloud someday, and make every single one of their devices useless - because they had to audacity to rebuild their cloud services several years ago out of necessity. Are you really pining for the days of MobileMe, and butthurt by the fact that its gone? Amazing. 

By the way, SJ is the one behind the iCloud transition, he's the one that launched it, so the "Apple has lost it's way" comment from you is hilarious. There's nothing that suggests you will be "abandoned" in 18 months, as you childishly fantasize. Also, in contrast to your assertion, this past WWDC has shown in no uncertain terms that Apple listens to feedback, and are always willing to change and revise their policies. But I guess you're butthurt because Apple won't come to your fucking house and as YOU how to run their company. "Apple has lost its way"- which is why this past WWDC was considered by developers and observers as the best in their history. Which "way" should Apple be heading? You have no clue- but those words are easy to spout by unimaginative, intellectually lazy people like you who haven't created a thing in their lives. And comparing Apple to Ford is such a  odd statement, as Ford has made a massive comeback the last few years after being on the verge of bankruptcy. What a silly, sad little troll you are. 

Because whining and bitching on a message-board is way easier than the ONE CLICK it takes to turn a photo-stream into a public website accessible from anywhere. Amazing.  

Great response to these ridiculous trolls. Thanks.
  • Reply 40 of 187
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

And comparing Apple to Ford is such a  odd statement, as Ford has made a massive comeback the last few years after being on the verge of bankruptcy. What a silly, sad little troll you are. 

But ... but ... but ... Ford's a TOTAL failure!

Quote:

Ford is the second-largest U.S.-based automaker and the fifth-largest in the world based on 2010 vehicle sales.[5] At the end of 2010, Ford was the fifth largest automaker in Europe.[6] Ford is the eighth-ranked overall American-based company in the 2010 Fortune 500 list, based on global revenues in 2009 of $118.3 billion.[7] In 2008, Ford produced 5.532 million automobiles[8] and employed about 213,000 employees at around 90 plants and facilities worldwide.