Lightning headphones could allow Apple to make slimmer iPhones by ditching 3.5mm headphone jack

Comments

• Reply 161 of 206
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    fastasleep wrote: »
    You do realize that the aspect ratio of your iPad is 4:3, and the Nexus 10 is 16:10? What exactly is it supposed to mirror if not its own aspect ratio?

Video out is app-dependent, so some apps may only support 720p on external HD TV's etc. Playing 1080p video shouldn't be a problem in apps that support it.

I'm fully aware that video out is app-dependent. That's why I said the experince was inconsistent. To solve the problem I found an older XGA 4:3 ViewSonic projector on eBay that included three new bulbs. It's not a elegant solution but it works. When almost every single flat screen TV on the market is 16:9 or some other wide aspect ratio I find it a little baffling and annoyed that Apple couldn't accommodate them. I defiantly prefer using something that has a built in HDMI which autodetects the resolution of the monitor it is connected to and adjusts itself accordingly. Needless to say I don't use my iPad for multimedia because of it. Which is fine as I use my iPad for a single purpose, music creation and for that its absolutely fantastic. The reason for the comment was I wanted to output the display from the iPad to a larger monitor to display notes while I'm playing my Violin or Cello as well use it to display my music apps. The ViewSonic works for now but if anyone knows of a projector that has the same resolution of the iPad it would be much appreciated or does the iPad not output its native resolution. If the 200 dollar EVGA Note 7 can display its desktop in 4k I'm sure the iPad can display its native resolution.
  • Reply 162 of 206
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

You do realize that the aspect ratio of your iPad is 4:3, and the Nexus 10 is 16:10? What exactly is it supposed to mirror if not its own aspect ratio?

Video out is app-dependent, so some apps may only support 720p on external HD TV's etc. Playing 1080p video shouldn't be a problem in apps that support it.

I'm fully aware that video out is app-dependent. That's why I said the experince was inconsistent. To solve the problem I found an older XGA 4:3 ViewSonic projector on eBay that included three new bulbs. It's not a elegant solution but it works. When almost every single flat screen TV on the market is 16:9 or some other wide aspect ratio I find it a little baffling and annoyed that Apple couldn't accommodate these aspect ratios as well. Needless to say I don't use my iPad for multimedia because of it. Which is fine as it's an absolutely fantastic music creation system, I wanted to output the display from the iPad to a larger monitor to display notes while I'm playing my Violin or Cello.

A 13" iPad might make it a proposition for reading music.

• Reply 163 of 206
    A 13" iPad might make it a proposition for reading music.

I have one or I have an Air, I really like the music apps on the iPad though, in fact I have almost moved over my entire production over to it except for Ableton live. I will probably add the i7 version of the Surface 3 with 8GB of RAM to my studio just for Abelton Live and FL Studio Touch for W8 which is just a fantastic app, I'm hoping the iPad will get the updated interface as well but I think the 1GB of memory is what is preventing it at this moment. Anyway I really want to use an all touch setup as it's beyond useful, unfortunately Apple doesn't make a Macbook with touch yet, when they do I will be the first to buy though. Does anyone know if the Leap Motion 3D controller is anygood for the Macbook because that might be another alternative?
  • Reply 164 of 206
    There is a proposal to introduce legislation to force device manufacturers to include Micro USB compatibility. If passed, Apple would be required to provide adaptors for all the EU with new devices. 

That's a not such a bad thing, Apple should include the adaptor regardless. I use one for my cute little teeny weenie Western Digital hard drive. Though I wish the Lightning port could power the hard drive as well like my Nexus 10 and ThinkPad 8 can. Will the new Lightning Port have USB 3 transfer rates, I really hope so as USB 3 is like night and day faster, why didn't Apple do this from the start?
  • Reply 165 of 206
    kiowavtkiowavt Posts: 95member
    Suddenly the reason they found Beats so interesting becomes clearer. And they had to seal the deal before the announcement made the connector transition super clear.
  • Reply 166 of 206
    jjarojjaro Posts: 29member
    launfall wrote: »
    Bad idea and not feasible. Lightening is still too expensive, many people have incompatible headphones they paid a lot of money for, Lightening has gained virtually no traction in the marketplace, the plugs fall out at the slightest jarring...I could go on and on. This is one of those "upgrades" Apple should not try to cram down our throats.

Agreed. Plus, in the event they do choose to do this, then they better darn well include an adapter with EVERY device that has this "feature," free of charge.
  • Reply 167 of 206
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member

How thin do we need the phone? I for one actually prefer a touch of heft.

• Reply 168 of 206
    Everyone who likes music is an audiophile.

Pretty much. The term has no rigorously objective definition.
  • Reply 169 of 206
    rhoninrhonin Posts: 60member
    Unless this becomes the standard plug for headphones, it will be the day I dump iOS. I am one of those who own great headphones (Bose and Shure) that I use across several devices.
    Yes, there is a difference and I refuse to use adapters or be forced into an iDevice only set of headphones.
  • Reply 170 of 206
    rhoninrhonin Posts: 60member
    launfall wrote: »
    Bad idea and not feasible. Lightening is still too expensive, many people have incompatible headphones they paid a lot of money for, Lightening has gained virtually no traction in the marketplace, the plugs fall out at the slightest jarring...I could go on and on. This is one of those "upgrades" Apple should not try to cram down our throats.

I own a 5S and a miniRetina - came from a 5 and an iPad4.
    I also own an HTC One M7 and a Nexus 7 - came from a Galaxy 3 and Nexus 7 Gen1.

Replacement costs due to shoddy cables/plugs, Apple have easily cost me 3 or 4 times as much as microUSB.

Now they want to try headphones? btw; Beats are not that good and seriously overpriced.
  • Reply 171 of 206
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by rhonin View Post

Yes, there is a difference and I refuse to use adapters or be forced into an iDevice only set of headphones.

Good for you. Enjoy being literally the only person on the face of the Earth who thinks something this stupid. It’s amazing you’re even using Apple products at all, given that the Dock Connector was USB that required an adapter and Lightning is a second port that required an adapter.

Come on, man.

• Reply 172 of 206
    mac-sochistmac-sochist Posts: 675member
    In addition to the list of ridiculous assumptions listed above that people seem to be making, I love the idea that an adapter will be "a dongle always hanging off your iPhone".

No, folks—an adapter would be just like those USB-PS/2 adapters that come (used to come? Haven't bought a wired mouse for a while) on the end of your mouse cord. You'd put it on the end of your headphone cord and never know it was there. If you need to plug the headphones into something else, just take it off and put it in your pocket. Seriously, is this really a problem?

Incidentally, they keep calling 1/8" jacks "3.5mm" jacks. 1/8" is 3.175mm. Is that why none of them fit right any more?

Edit: Don't quality headphones still come with a 1/4" plug that unscrews to reveal an 1/8" plug? I don't know, I'm still using my Sony VR/6s from 25 years ago.
  • Reply 173 of 206
    clayp711clayp711 Posts: 11member
    [@]gwmac[/@] everyone on earth thought the same thing about the 30 pin<lightning adapter. The product would be to greatly desired not to capitalize on, as sh***y as it may sound. It could be like the MagSafe to MagSafe 2, ($9.99), but more than likely $19-$29. That is of course whether or not this actually happens, which appears to be speculative BS. Quote a random Asian whose 43rd cousin works at Foxconn, call him an "Analyst" and tada, write whatever the fruit of the imagination brings forth.
  • Reply 174 of 206
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member

Another dumb rumor and could be one of the dumbest thing Apple can do, on top of buying Beats. A thinner smartphone is no longer a big deal. Apple have beaten this horse dead. Turning some/all Beats headphones with lightning connector simply isolated their existing fan-based.

In the world of audiophiles, Beats headphones are mediocre. I'm still trying to understand why Apple would waste $3.2 billions. There are better companies to buy.

• Reply 175 of 206
    What if you want to listen to music through headphones AND charge your phone?
  • Reply 176 of 206
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    techboy wrote: »
    Another dumb rumor and could be one of the dumbest thing Apple can do, on top of buying Beats. A thinner smartphone is no longer a big deal. Apple have beaten this horse dead. Turning some/all Beats headphones with lightning connector simply isolated their existing fan-based.

In the world of audiophiles, Beats headphones are mediocre. I'm still trying to understand why Apple would waste $3.2 billions. There are better companies to buy.

1) It was $3 billion.

2) What headphone company makes more revenue and profit than Beats?

3) Why can't Apple use Beats extreme popularity to make Beats better looking and better quality and better sounding headphones?

4) Compared to what Apple has sold from their EarPods to their in-ear phones to the iPod HiFi speaker system Beats are excellent.

5) To say this is just about making the iPhone thinner isn't seeing the need for a better connection with more data.
  • Reply 177 of 206
    1) It was $3 billion.
    Gosh, I got .2 wrong because I read a different article...end of the world is near!

2) What headphone company makes more revenue and profit than Beats?
    This is not the point, Apple has always purchase companies based on tech and innovation. Beats products are hardly innovative...but I'm you you will claim otherwise. Even Apple claims to buy them to reinforce their weakening hold on music, especially streaming. Beats streaming service isn't that great either!

3) Why can't Apple use Beats extreme popularity to make Beats better looking and better quality and better sounding headphones?
    You should talk to an audiophile to understand why companies that makes great headphones aren't the most popular nor most affordable. Beats is chasing after being cool, not great music.

4) Compared to what Apple has sold from their EarPods to their in-ear phones to the iPod HiFi speaker system Beats are excellent.
    LOL! If this is even a lame reason for Apple then it's all down hills from here.

5) To say this is just about making the iPhone thinner isn't seeing the need for a better connection with more data.
    Better connection to what data via audio output? What insane data input can you possibly get from lightning headphones?

I have been an Apple user for over 20 years and this is one of those dumb ideas that should never been consider. It is now done and Beats is part of Apple...we will see if this is a big win or "I told you so stupid" in short times.
  • Reply 178 of 206
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    techboy wrote: »
    Gosh, I got .2 wrong because I read a different article...end of the world is near!

When attempting to a make a point and trying to sound knowledgeable it helps your position to be informed.
    This is not the point, Apple has always purchase companies based on tech and innovation. Beats products are hardly innovative...but I'm you you will claim otherwise. Even Apple claims to buy them to reinforce their weakening hold on music, especially streaming. Beats streaming service isn't that great either!

1) Sure it is. According to all the available information Beats dominates the headphone market the way Apple dominates in the way Apple dominates the traditional PC, PMP, handset, media extender, digital media and tablet markets. Remember Apple's goal to make money so buying a company that makes money makes more sense than buying Oculus, Instagram, Nest, WhatsApp or any other expensive company that seems "cool" but doesn't make money.

2) From the available data Beats has innovative tech that Apple can't match which was a huge part of the deal. You, for whatever reason, hating all the various types and models of Beats headphones, which I doubt you have tried, has no barring on Beats music and the potential for Apple's own iTunes Radio and Genius selections.
    You should talk to an audiophile to understand why companies that makes great headphones aren't the most popular nor most affordable. Beats is chasing after being cool, not great music.

Anyone who is fond of sound is, by definition, an audiophile, but lets disregard that and talk about how the lunacy that to be a good headphone company you can't be popular.
    LOL! If this is even a lame reason for Apple then it's all down hills from here.

You want to disparage Apple for buying Beats without ever thinking that Apple has never had great headphones. The iPod Hi-Fi was very short-lived… but based on your previous comment it's lack of popularity must mean it's was great¡
    Better connection to what data via audio output? What insane data input can you possibly get from lightning headphones?

As previously mentioned the bandwidth available to the 3.5mm headphone jack for non-music data is limited, not to mention the lack of adequate power for charging detachable, BT headphones. How does Apple put biometrics sensors in their headphones and allow a pair of BT headphones be wired or wireless as the user needs them to be?
    I have been an Apple user for over 20 years and this is one of those dumb ideas that should never been consider. It is now done and Beats is part of Apple...we will see if this is a big win or "I told you so stupid" in short times.

So a 3.5mm headphone jack until the end of time. Got it!

Bottom line: The deal is done. This is no longer a rumour that we can speculate if Apple is truly interested in Beats or if they would ever consider offering a way for headphones to work Lightning. So what the objective and rational person would do is try to look at this from Apple's perspective and think, "Apple surely knows better than I do as to what they need and what these changes will offer them so what I am I not seeing?" instead of stating Apple it's a dumb idea, Apple is faltering and using your 20 years of using Apple's products as proof that you know more than the collective knowledge of Apple.
  • Reply 179 of 206
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    anklosaur wrote: »
    Remember how Apple caught a lot of flack when they moved the headphone jack to the bottom of the iPhone 5? Could they have been planning for this possibility way back then?

Don't know, but I was very happy that they did as I'm a cyclist and the phone is now 'in the correct position' in my jersey - for me. The phone is in the upright position when I take it out of my pocket and the headphone cable points upwards so the phone isn't resting on the plug when it's inside my pocket.
    woochifer wrote: »
    And the full length of the 3.5mm jack would now be external to the device. Picture a wafer-thin iPhone with this awkward dongle poking off the bottom for anyone who wants to use an analog headset. Not exactly the elegance that Apple purportedly aims for.

I'm sure you don't miss any SCSI plugs; evolution is a thing of beauty, and you can join that crowd as well. Disclaimer: that is not supposed to sound lame, derogative or me attacking you. I'm merely trying to make the point that Apple removes plugs or changes their design because they can do better than current standards, even if they're the ones who created that. One such case was the removal of the FW port on the MBP. Read the famous thread which got 1600+ replies:
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/92061/jobs-responds-to-outrage-over-macbooks-missing-firewire

woochifer wrote: »
    You sure about that? According to these measurements, the digital-to-analog audio chain used on the iPhone 5 performs better than most dedicated headphone amps. If the earlier post about Apple going with Wolfson DACs on the iPhone is true, then that would explain why, since Wolfson DACs are more often found in high end audio components.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-5/audio-quality.htm

As much as I like his opinions, being a hobbyist photographer myself, I don't think quoting Ken on his views on audio makes your case strong.
    relic wrote: »
    ...I use an Apogee One DAC that is connected via the Lightning Port, so in a way I have already moved on from using the built in 3.5mm jack.

Thanks for that tip!
    ..will the power dongle have two Lightning ports on it so I could listen to music while the iPad charges or will I have to wait? Will Apple come out with a 4 Port Lighting Port adaptor because if they continue down this line it's going to be a must.

Highly unlikely; they aim for simplicity. If this removal of the audio jack is going to happen they will tell people to charge their device before listening to music, which would make sense. I first charge it, then use it.

Putting in two Lighting Ports will seem awkward, and people might doubt where to plug in their headphone and which port to use for charging.
    relic wrote: »
    I wish Apple would use the same chipset as the Fiio X3 or X5 line of MP3 Players. Bought an X5 or I should say got one for my birthday last year and it is by far the best sounding portable music player I have ever listened too.

Hear hear! (pun intended) that device sure has great sound!
    ... but their interface was made by a 12 year old on Ritalin.

Too funny!
    solipsismx wrote: »

The EU needs to die like yesterday. What is the point of making Micro USB mandatory when almost of all of those adaptors will end up in landfill? What a huge waste of resources! Happily, there is a huge anti-EU movement taking place in most of Europe. 

I don't follow.

There is a proposal to introduce legislation to force device manufacturers to include Micro USB compatibility. If passed, Apple would be required to provide adaptors for all the EU with new devices. 
    [/quote]

I don't follow either. They simply want compatibility with mUSB power adapter, and Apple offers an adapter in their Store. Case closed, no?

€19
  • Reply 180 of 206
    Quote:

Bottom line: The deal is done. This is no longer a rumour that we can speculate if Apple is truly interested in Beats or if they would ever consider offering a way for headphones to work Lightning. So what the objective and rational person would do is try to look at this from Apple's perspective and think, "Apple surely knows better than I do as to what they need and what these changes will offer them so what I am I not seeing?" instead of stating Apple it's a dumb idea, Apple is faltering and using your 20 years of using Apple's products as proof that you know more than the collective knowledge of Apple. 

ROFL! You are clearly clueless and buying into all the hypes. IF you actually follow and used Apple products for 20 years you should know by now, many of their products actually failed before Steve Jobs returned to save it.

I'm guessing you like being an mindless consumer and never doubt those "great" execs whom never made bad decisions. Ohhhh, wait! What was that Apple antenna gate shit about? What was the Apple map hype about? I dunno, perhaps you have been hiding under a rock?

I'm not claiming to be a know-it-all (like you are), just a well informed Apple user. You can repeat all the news and "facts" you like from news. What you can't deny is Apple as a company has made very very bad decision in the past...so bad, before Jobs returned, they were about to go bankrupt. How is that for a fact?

No doubt it will take a lot of mistakes from here for Apple to go down hill again, and you know what? Their competitors are counting on that.