Genius Bar Experience

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited June 2014

Hi - I recently bought in my mac into the genius bar because it was having some restart issues.  The issue was diagnosed to be a harddrive software issue.

I bought a 1 TB drive at the store and was told that they would back up all my data before re-installing the hard drive software (re-installing wipes the drive clean of the dat); then they would put my data back onto it.

So I got a call that they forgot to back up my data - Luckily I do have a 2 month old version of my dataset (untested, I have never had to do a restore).

Oops I'm sorry - doesn't seem to do it for me?   Thoughts, should I ask for something?  I could push them to see if they can pull my data back from the dead but since I have a copy of my data from 2 months ago, it seems like I'm ok.

I haven't picked up my computer yet 

Thoughts? comments? what would you do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    sieka wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Thoughts? comments? what would you do?</span>

There's not much you can do really but that's really bad. Some people won't have a backup of their data. To simply forget to transfer it and then wipe it is really poor. I personally wouldn't send a drive with data through any repair shop because you don't know what people would be cloning. Look at the Edison Chen and Carolina Dieckmann scandals. The tech guys sifted through all their photos and leaked nude ones to the internet. But if they say they're going to transfer the data, that's what they should do. At the very least, they should retain the data until the customer is satisfied with the return and then wipe the drive.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    siekasieka Posts: 2member

I think you are right, not much i can do - luckily i didn't have anything on inappropriate on the computer (it was the family computer).   I thought that Apple of all places would do what they said they would do, it was written in the service order - definitely disappointing.

• Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    sieka wrote: »
    I think you are right, not much i can do - luckily i didn't have anything on inappropriate on the computer (it was the family computer).   I thought that Apple of all places would do what they said they would do, it was written in the service order - definitely disappointing.

You can share your experience with them here:

http://www.apple.com/retail/feedback/

Just say what you expected and what happened. Maybe they'll implement a better policy for protecting customer data until the customer authorizes wiping.