OS X Yosemite first look video: AirDrop with iOS 8

Posted:
in macOS edited September 2014
As part of the "continuity" additions Apple introduced with its upcoming operating systems, the company enabled AirDrop between systems running OS X 10.10 Yosemite and iOS 8, a long-awaited feature for many users who own both Mac and iOS devices.

In the OS X Yosemite developer preview, AirDrop works much the same it did in OS X 10.9 Mavericks, but extended to iOS devices. The new operating systems, however, will allow file transfers from Mac-to-iOS and vice versa, bringing a higher level of device integration for owners invested in Apple's ecosystem.

Despite sharing the same name, AirDrop was previously segregated into two versions; one for iOS-to-iOS transfers and another for Mac-to-Mac. This made the process of transmitting files a bit confusing for some users who expected AirDrop to work seamlessly across Apple's computer and mobile platforms.

With the new continuity functions built into Yosemite and iOS 8, which are themselves based on the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi wireless standards, Apple is able to integrate high-level sharing assets into its two major OS lines. There exists third-party software that can swap certain files or raw data between the platforms, but the new AirDrop is the first truly seamless, system-wide solution.

AirDrop can be accessed from the Share Sheets menu on both iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite. The desktop version also has a dedicated window in the Finder, much like the current implementation in OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

As seen in the video above, tapping the share button in iOS invokes the Share Sheets menu pane, from which users can elect to pass along a file, photo, webpage or other asset via AirDrop, Mail, iTunes and more.

In our test, we chose to transfer a photo from an iPhone to a Mac Pro. While we didn't have to set up or complete a Bluetooth pairing procedure, the devices were unable to recognize each other on the first few attempts. Toggling the iPhone's Bluetooth on and off resolved the issue and sharing worked flawlessly from that point on.

We were able to send across multiple photos, webpages, PDFs and other files from iOS-to-Mac, both with and without the OS X AirDrop window active in Finder. Unlike Mac-to-Mac transfers, owners logged in to their iCloud account on an iOS 8 device and OS X Yosemite computer are able to share files without consent. This is unsurprising given other features like phone calls and SMS messages can be pushed to a Mac under Apple's new OS continuity program.

AirDrop settings in OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

It appears that the future AirDrop version for OS X is incompatible with the current standard, however, as Yosemite provides an option to "Legacy AirDrop" with Macs running Mavericks or older. The system cannot dynamically switch between the two AirDrop versions, suggesting the "new" AirDrop handles wireless protocols in a completely different manner than previous OS X iterations.

As mentioned in the our OS X Yosemite first look video covering Handoff, data exchange from Mac-to-iOS device appears to be non-functional. When the final version ships, however, we expect the feature to be operational, with familiar user icons popping up in the Finder window just as they do for Mac-to-Mac transfers in Mavericks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    At the moment I use the awesome PhotoSync which also allows you to upload to Dropbox and a plethora of other services and devices. Device to device is reliant on both being on the same network. As I only use it to upload photos from my iPhone to my Mac I am very likely a lost customer. C'est la vie.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    Anyone know if the new extension api's will let you store or access these files as we could with icloud?

I have still to watch all of the sessions or try the beta but how does this change or add to syncing apps with icloud?

Can a user save, and decide to make a new file?
  • Reply 3 of 50
    My airdrop will not work on my mid 2011 iMac with my iPhone 5. I see the option to airdrop everyone like in your screenshot above but it's only there for a split second and then it disappears. Is that a beta glitch or will my hardware not support this functionality?
  • Reply 4 of 50
    heinrichzheinrichz Posts: 24member
    Great, but what's up with that cheesy piano music?
  • Reply 5 of 50
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

I don't ever see these videos, just a blank line (Safari Version 7.0.4 (9537.76.4)). What am I doing wrong (right lol)?

• Reply 6 of 50
    iqatedo wrote: »
    I don't ever see these videos, just a blank line (Safari Version 7.0.4 (9537.76.4)). What am I doing wrong (right lol)?

Did you click the link in the article?
  • Reply 7 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Mother of humanity, why is AirDrop so terrible? Why do we have to be IN it to do it?

How could it possibly be so difficult as to offer an AirDrop tab, you click it, and boom, there’s everyone on the local network. Drag a file to the person, they get a popup: “[name] wants to share a file with you. Accept/Deny” There’s your security problems solved.

• Reply 8 of 50
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

Did you click the link in the article?

Okay, thanks. I don't ever click on the article banner but go straight to the comments page. Was a time when content played there too but not so now apparently.

• Reply 9 of 50
    Mother of humanity, why is AirDrop so terrible? Why do we have to be IN it to do it?

How could it possibly be so difficult as to offer an AirDrop tab, you click it, and boom, there’s everyone on the local network. Drag a file to the person, they get a popup: “[name] wants to share a file with you. Accept/Deny” There’s your security problems solved.

I think it has a lot to do with their own API's. You can make your own API's and have the functionality that you're looking for, you just can't share them. Send your feedback.

However I think this article is clearly beta related and I doubt it will be so insecure in the final release.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    So here's a question for you - if the OSX version of Airdrop has been changed, has it been changed to use the iOS version, or are both versions for the new upcoming OS's a completely new iteration from the previous version(s)? I'd like to see someone try to Airdrop from an iOS7 device to Yosemite...
  • Reply 11 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't know about you, but I'm assuming this could possibly be incredibly annoying - imagine a university and someone just pinging everyone on the network (or even worse, the same person, over and over). Not good.

On another note, has anyone managed to toggle the "Everyone" or "Contacts Only" switch in Airdrop on the Mac?? Mine seems to be un-toggleable... That is, it is not a button. I can't do anything. And my "Preferences" in Finder are blank, empty. Force relaunch, restart of computer don't fix it. Hoping a reinstall isn't required. 

• Reply 12 of 50
    mwhitecomwhiteco Posts: 112member

I don't think this will work with my 2009 MBP and iPhone 5 like many other features that are great with the new OS that won't work with it. It's sad when you buy a new computer from Apple and it last so long and is so great that you don't get those benefits. For those of us retired and on a fixed budget we can't go out and buy new computers we have to use what we bought when we could afford it. Could any beta testers out there tell me if I am wrong in this assumption?

• Reply 13 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by mwhiteco View Post

I don't think this will work with my 2009 MBP and iPhone 5 like many other features that are great with the new OS that won't work with it. It's sad when you buy a new computer from Apple and it last so long and is so great that you don't get those benefits. For those of us retired and on a fixed budget we can't go out and buy new computers we have to use what we bought when we could afford it. Could any beta testers out there tell me if I am wrong in this assumption?

As you can turn on AirDrop on machines as old as 2006, I imagine it’ll be fine.

• Reply 14 of 50
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ques4Sanity View Post

So here's a question for you - if the OSX version of Airdrop has been changed, has it been changed to use the iOS version, or are both versions for the new upcoming OS's a completely new iteration from the previous version(s)? I'd like to see someone try to Airdrop from an iOS7 device to Yosemite...

They are new versions.

You must be using both Mac OS 10.10 and iOS 8.

You cannot AirDrop to Mac OS using iOS 7.

• Reply 15 of 50
    xpadxpad Posts: 46member
    Quote:

This is for security, so that you can't just go into an airport or Starbucks and try to send malware to people nearby. Sure, most people will probably click "deny", but all it takes is one person every now and then to click "allow".

This way, they have to be explicitly and knowingly participating in AirDrop. And with iOS 8 and Yosemite, it looks like it auto-allows any from the same Apple ID, which makes sense, since you probably aren't trying to trick yourself into running malware.

• Reply 16 of 50
    xpadxpad Posts: 46member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mwhiteco View Post

This has to do with hardware limitations. Any device that could use AirDrop in Mavericks and iOS 7 will work with Yosemite and iOS 8.

• Reply 17 of 50
    kevinnealkevinneal Posts: 66member
    If you mac can run Mavericks it will run Yosemite, I think 2009 MBP should be ok, some macs as far back as 2007 will be able to run it ( iMac I think )
  • Reply 18 of 50
    mwhitecomwhiteco Posts: 112member
    Quote:

As you can turn on AirDrop on machines as old as 2006, I imagine it’ll be fine.

Thanks for the help I didn't know it would work on my MBP I have never needed it before but with it now working between iPhone's and Mac's I will use it. Will answering the phone with the new OS on my older computer work if you know?

• Reply 19 of 50
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Love the jazz music in these videos. I didn't think my 2008 iMac would be able to use Airdrop, but others here disagree, so I look forward to testing it on December 19th or earlier in the autumn.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    My mistake. My eyes are inverted. Looking at too many numbers. :)