Project management 'failure' behind absence of Apple Maps updates at WWDC - report

24567

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 123
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    pfisher wrote: »
    Although I have found Apple Maps to be accurate and Google Maps to be inaccurate in two cases, I still use Google Maps.

    I like Street View. Also, for Thailand, Google Maps is mature and Apple Maps is a joke.

    Apple should stick to its core competencies. They should not be in the map business. Mapping is not an easy thing to do.

    Nope. I think there are great synergy and opportunities with Apple devices and services. The harder to do, the better since Apple will be able to differentiate once they master it.
  • Reply 22 of 123
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    pfisher wrote: »
    Apple has billions of dollars and they should spend that on their own street view feature.

    In a way. They should implement it in a new concept, instead of driving buggies around. There may be better ways. In fact, iOS Map should be able to deliver new concepts by integrating with other iOS8 techs,
  • Reply 23 of 123
    dv8ordv8or Posts: 26member
    They need to be using my brother's web app www.resourceguruapp.com ...
  • Reply 24 of 123
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    patsu wrote: »
    In a way. They should implement it in a new concept, instead of driving buggies around. There may be better ways. In fact, iOS Map should be able to deliver new concepts by integrating with other iOS8 techs,

    I previously made the suggestion that Apple tap users to fill in map data and street/sidewalk-level imagery using their iPhones in exchange for iTunes credits. Turn data and image gathering into a geocaching game.
  • Reply 25 of 123
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,400member

    Let's make up a story that Apple had lots of new features for Maps. Then when they don't appear at WWDC let's make up a bunch of rumors about why they weren't shown even though there's no proof the "original" features even existed.

     

    And let's forget about the HUGE number of additions Apple showed at WWDC. So many, in fact, that they had to quickly skim over some of them because of a lack of time. Clearly Apple engineers and developers were in overdrive for the past year with all the new additions. And project management appeared to be just fine, considering Apple knocked it out of the park this WWDC.

  • Reply 26 of 123
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by patsu View Post





    In a way. They should implement it in a new concept, instead of driving buggies around. There may be better ways. In fact, iOS Map should be able to deliver new concepts by integrating with other iOS8 techs,

    I look at these rumors and go... meh.   If they missed deadlines for WWDC, still means the functionality can be presented in September if ready.

    If this is just a smoke screen for lowering the stock price... double meh.

     

    The major negative that this would impact were any exposed mapping SDKs that could have been built into the system for exposing this to other applications.   Apple loses a couple months of potential 'look at how this app exploits Apple's Map data'    This is not a big deal.

     

    As for internal politics... that's a good one.    Heck, given the removal of the non-poaching agreements... I can only imagine that mobile mapping developers are worth a pretty penny in the Valley now.

  • Reply 27 of 123
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Gee, this rumor doesn't seem even remotely suspicious. /s
  • Reply 28 of 123
    kent909 wrote: »
    A new unnamed report from unnamed sources says something that did not happen, was supposed to happen. Also that it did not happen for some unattractive reasons. All of this in a story written by someone named AppleInsider Staff. Who would name their kid that. This has to be one of the weakest attempts at journalism one could find.


    I agree. Now that real news is drying up, it's time for some fake mud slinging. Think back a few weeks ago, to all of the rumors swarming around WWDC. How many were true? Didn't Apple disprove the rumors and then surprise everyone with better stuff? Now we believe every rumor. Many of these rumors begin on some average joes webpage, wanting to increase traffic. I remember seeing one website get found out, the site owner issuing an apology, and their readers kept bringing it up and complaining about for a long time. It happens, a lot.
  • Reply 29 of 123
    bengbeng Posts: 34member
    Suppose you were Google, or Samsung, or even Msoft and wanted to damage Apple. All three of these have tried in the past, and spent money on trolls, especially Samsung.

    Now, with the terrific buzz about Apple from the WWDC, and the increased threat to the above, there might just be a little "news planting" in this article. "Unidentified people say".....

    All companies have internal struggles and disagreements about how to improve something, or fix something. I tell my employees that avoiding problems is not our business - solving problems IS our business.

    Think about it. The only reason a business exists is to solve a problem for the customer. When you are that far out on the bleeding edge, it is tough to get it right.

    Non story.
  • Reply 30 of 123
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    I think he is, too, but unfortunately any misstep will be seen as proof he's not right for the job even though Steve Jobs had many missteps during his tenure as CEO.

    You're right, Soli...I guess that's the fallout a company has to go through when it has a giant bullseye on it's back put there by lesser companies whose bank accounts don't match up.

  • Reply 31 of 123
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    melgross wrote: »
    Internal politics is what has damaged Microsoft for many years. I hope this isn't going to be the future at Apple too.

    Mustn't speculate though the recent acquisition has many concerned in exactly those regards.
  • Reply 32 of 123
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,924member
    pfisher wrote: »
    Although I have found Apple Maps to be accurate and Google Maps to be inaccurate in two cases, I still use Google Maps.

    I like Street View. Also, for Thailand, Google Maps is mature and Apple Maps is a joke.

    Apple should stick to its core competencies. They should not be in the map business. Mapping is not an easy thing to do.

    pfisher wrote: »
    Apple has billions of dollars and they should spend that on their own street view feature.

    Make up your mind. Apple should not be in the maps business or Apple should spend on a street view feature.

    I disagree on the former. Apple should rely less and less on outside companies for core features.
  • Reply 33 of 123
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,924member
    Analysts predicts features.
    Features aren't announced.
    Analysts blames internal politics.

    Why are analysts never wrong?!
  • Reply 34 of 123
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,359member

    With all of the recent acquisitions that Apple has made that can bolster Maps I wouldn't mind seeing some good improvement but having iOS 9 be the large leap forward for Maps.  It's not easy to integrate the technology of many disparate companies into a cohesive end product. 

     

    Maps works well enough and when I really need some features I turn to my Navigon.  

  • Reply 35 of 123
    gunner1954gunner1954 Posts: 142member
    Many of the acquisitions can also be used for indoor mapping (like inside of malls) not just outdoor mapping. Part of the reason could be that integration of Maps for outdoors and Maps of indoors hasn't been fully fleshed because of the intricacies involved. Being as Apple was bitten once with Maps, they probably didn't want to bitten a second time, even with a beta version of indoor mapping tied to the Maps app.

    When I walk through the front door of a particular mall via Maps, I want it to work, even as a developer.
  • Reply 36 of 123
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Analysts predicts features.
    Features aren't announced.
    Analysts blames internal politics.

    Why are analysts never wrong?!
    Heh, Mark Gurman claimed that Apple changed the name and design of its health app because of what 9to5Mac leaked. All because he refuses to admit he might get things wrong once in a while.
  • Reply 37 of 123
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    As someone who works in project management, if there was that much shuffling and mid-manager infighting, it wasn't project management that was lacking...it was management. As in there wasn't someone at the top who was able to dictate which projects took precedent over others. Seen it happen before, and things run a lot smoother when the CIO/CTO is saying "this project is priority 1, this project is priority 2" and so on. Otherwise you get people fighting for resources, which normally ends up with the resource leaving the company because he/she can't do anything.
  • Reply 38 of 123
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,608member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    ...the other day I did have to fire up maps.google.com (hate the new UI) so I could choose an alternate route for someone down HWY-1 from WWDC to LA since Apple Maps would only let me choose HWY-101 or I-5 as options.

    I understand the frustration, but taking 1 is two hours longer than I-5. It is a shame you can't add a waypoint (like Santa Barbara) to force it onto a specific route and get times in a single shot, but it is substantially out of the way. (Since it is a common path though, I would expect it to at least be listed.)
  • Reply 39 of 123
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,362member
    I'll forgive them, since they had like 56,201 other things to show off. I didn't even notice the missing maps. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if they're leaving maps to show off in the fall. They always review the new iOS features at that time, and they might be saving a couple new things for that event to make a bigger splash.

    As for this report, nothing but unsubstantiated horse-shit that anyone call pull out of their asses.
  • Reply 40 of 123
    I agree with the more common sense reports here. Some times I wonder if Eddy Cue has the chops to handle all Apple's internet businesses. Apple has never been as strong here. Jobs was not as Internet savvy as the guys at Google.
Sign In or Register to comment.