Project management 'failure' behind absence of Apple Maps updates at WWDC - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 123
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    I understand the frustration, but taking 1 is two hours longer than I-5. It is a shame you can't add a waypoint (like Santa Barbara) to force it onto a specific route and get times in a single shot, but it is substantially out of the way. (Since it is a common path though, I would expect it to at least be listed.)

Santa Barbara is on HWY-101. NWY-1 and HWY-101 meet about 100 miles north at San Luis Obispo. You have to choose Hearst Castle as a destination, about 45 minute drive north of San Luis Obispo, to force Apple Maps to choose it as the driving distance as it's shorter by 30 miles even though it's about a half hour longer with the slower roads. Still, the default route is HWY-101 with a turn off in Paso Robles to get on HWY-46.
  • Reply 42 of 123
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Santa Barbara is on HWY-101. NWY-1 and HWY-101 meet at San Luis Obispo. You have to choose Hearst Castle as a destination, about 45 minute drive north of San Luis Obispo, to force Apple Maps to choose it as the driving distance as it's shorter by 30 miles even though it's about a half hour longer with the slower roads. Still, the default route is HWY-101 with a turn off in Paso Robles to get on HWY-46.

The problem isn't Maps but where you choose to live. :)
  • Reply 43 of 123
    pfisher wrote: »
    Apple has billions of dollars and they should spend that on their own street view feature.

I can think of a few ways they could leapfrog street view. Last thing Apple should do is copy Google out of a lack of inspiration. Apple's job is to show people something they DIDN'T know they wanted until you showed it to them.
  • Reply 44 of 123
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jungmark wrote: »
    The problem isn't Maps but where you choose to live. :)

It was about giving [@]NasserAE[/@] a scenic drive back from WWDC (so it's his fault) with the unfortunate catch that there is no cell signal for about 3 hours of the drive when you're in Big Sur, which is not an ironic name. By comparison, there is free WiFI at Yosemite National Park and I don't recall not having a cellular signal on any of the official trails.
  • Reply 45 of 123
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    The improvements are all rumors, as is that Apple intended them to be ready to show at WWDC. Perhaps they are ready but Cook and Federighi never intended to show them or include them in the early betas.

There are reports for the beta users of lots of changes in various apps that weren't talked about. So why is it so shocking to imagine they just didn't want to talk about Maps. After the original failures I don't blame them for not hyping any maps changes
  • Reply 46 of 123
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Internal politics is what has damaged Microsoft for many years. I hope this isn't going to be the future at Apple too.

Besides unsubstantiated, click-bait "reports", nothing indicates this is the case. WWDC2014 strongly showed there is more productivity and synergy than ever between teams. 

• Reply 47 of 123
    newbee wrote: »
    I have used Apple maps almost exclusively since it was developed and the change from then until now is amazing. Just a few weeks ago I was trying out the live traffic feature for the first time and was amazed that it showed a traffic slowdown because of an accident that was only 15 minutes old....and that's in Vancouver, BC....a "foreign" country. It might not be perfect, hardly anything is, but it's making giant strides, imho.

Many of the haters forget that Google Maps was equally crappy it's first 2-3 years.
  • Reply 48 of 123
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    Personally I wish they'd never invested so much effort in 3D. Most of what I find wrong with Maps are the little things. Design issues that go a little deeper than aesthetics. The way things are rendered and such. But 3D, even if this article is BS, could easily be a point of political contention. The fact that the app is rendering a 3D scene in satellite mode no matter what your angle is bothers me.
  • Reply 49 of 123
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Many of the haters forget that Google Maps was equally crappy it's first 2-3 years.

The term "haters" (used in the above context) is one of the most unhelpful words ever invented.
  • Reply 50 of 123
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    melgross wrote: »
    Internal politics is what has damaged Microsoft for many years. I hope this isn't going to be the future at Apple too.

You wouldn't be wandering into concern-trolling territory, would you Mel?

Apple has just had its greatest, most consequential, most focused WWDC ever, ...right? The single most important element coming out of this conference is the extraordinary unity of purpose between Apple and one of its core constituencies, the developers, ...and you bring up long-time degenerate Microsoft into the conversation...!

Can a mouthpiece for panic-stricken Apple competitors foul your logical compass and lead you to spew anticlimactic feelings of insecurity. Apple has never been as assertive, as confident, as trustworthy, as forward-looking, ...and as grounded in the reality of the market place as it appears today.

AI needs to feed these mouthpieces, particularly in times of Apple riches of creativity, to its correspondingly panic-stricken readership of Apple-doomsday scenarios. To simply keep 'em in the fold. We wouldn't want to see them migrate, on an Apple-induced downdraft, from Lalaland to Lololand, would we...?

As for Apple Maps, ...and Beats, ...and Apple Stores, ...and..., might it be the High Way, the right way, or no way, ...with no, à-la Google, foul-play...?

Cheers.
  • Reply 51 of 123
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Although I have found Apple Maps to be accurate and Google Maps to be inaccurate in two cases, I still use Google Maps.

I like Street View. Also, for Thailand, Google Maps is mature and Apple Maps is a joke.

Apple should stick to its core competencies. They should not be in the map business. Mapping is not an easy thing to do.

You're absolutely right, Apple should have let its biggest competitor and threat stay in control of one of the most important built in apps, so its held hostage to Google's whims, nothing could POSSIBLY go wrong with that. What a responsible long term decision that would have been. 

Apple should not be in the maps business? The hundreds of millions of people using Apple maps with no issues might disagree with you. There's a thousands reasons that it makes sense for Apple to take charge of their own maps, least of which is the tighter integration it can accomplish with its own OS. Anyone who cant see thats the case is simply lacking vision and common sense. You despise Apple maps for some reason? Well, good thing you can just use the 3rd party Google maps app that is infinitely better than what was there before anyway. 

• Reply 52 of 123
    genovelle wrote: »
    Features are ready when they are ready.

How many times could this article have been written under Steve Jobs? All the time! He reportedly sent the programers back to the drawing board on updates all the time and usually refused to release it before it was ready.

Isn't there a story about him sending back the first iPhone for a body redesign like three weeks before the announcement. Or some similar madness.
  • Reply 53 of 123
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

So... disgruntled employees (maybe even a few programmers who felt they were put under unrealistic time constraints) blame "management" for their not being able to finish on time?

• Reply 54 of 123
    pfisher wrote: »

Apple should stick to its core competencies. They should not be in the map business. Mapping is not an easy thing to do.

If that was a valid business philosophy then Google would still be just a search engine (and nothing more) and Apple would have never made notebooks, phones, music players etc. Just stuck with their desktop
  • Reply 55 of 123
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member

I've never, ever had a problem with maps and I like the UI much better than Google maps.

• Reply 56 of 123
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    slurpy wrote: »
    You're absolutely right, Apple should have let its biggest competitor and threat ...

You really believe Google is a threat to Apple? In what regard?
  • Reply 57 of 123

I just used Apple Maps to drive all over New England and it worked perfectly.  

• Reply 58 of 123
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

The article fails to disparage Apple following an unusually strong WWDC.

Notice what they CAN'T say, that "Apple maps suck!"  They CAN'T say that, because Apple Maps have caught up.

Apple's detractors are reduced to criticizing a lack of an announcement.  That's just too indirect for the mud to stick.  So sling away, haters.  Sling away.

Kaching AAPL.

• Reply 59 of 123
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Isn't there a story about him sending back the first iPhone for a body redesign like three weeks before the announcement. Or some similar madness.
    He also completely changed the touch screen to glass from plastic after the announcement. Apple has also learned to keep anything that won't require developer access under wrap as late as possible. It keeps the copy cats at bay until after the holiday season.
  • Reply 60 of 123
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

Tim Cook said last year that he has a huge team working on maps and with the recent purchase of another map company I don't think there has been any slow down in that department just no major announcements at this time. I myself have had no issues with maps and it has always directed me correctly without issue. So trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill in this story is just a bunch of FUD!!

Nothing to see here move along.