OS X Yosemite first look video: AirDrop with iOS 8

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    True, they should have included that. I imagine it ends up in iCloud drive, either by asking you the destination folder or by assuming a generic downloads/upcoming folder.
    hagar wrote: »
    The article fails to answer the most crucial questions: where will transferred files end up on iOS ? Will you be able to transfer all kinds of files to iOS?
  • Reply 42 of 50
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    Is there a list of compatible hardware for Yosemite's feature set? I realize, for example, that AirDrop isn't going to work except on the latest iPhone/iPad, but which MacBook Pros, iMacs, etc. will it work with. Is Bluetooth 4[chip] the essential ingredient?
  • Reply 43 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    willrob wrote: »
    Is there a list of compatible hardware for Yosemite's feature set? I realize, for example, that AirDrop isn't going to work except on the latest iPhone/iPad, but which MacBook Pros, iMacs, etc. will it work with. Is Bluetooth 4[chip] the essential ingredient?

I believe it's a new WiFi chip that allow for an ad-hoc network whilst still maintaining connectivity to the primary WiFI network. Sadly I have no idea what this technology is called, or if it even has an official name, which is pretty poor considering my background.

edit: Here is a list of devices that may or may not be accurate:

edit2: It looks like it involves WiFi Direct but I'm not sure it's that the whole story:
  • Reply 44 of 50
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    willrob wrote: »

I believe it's a new WiFi chip that allow for an ad-hoc network whilst still maintaining connectivity to the primary WiFI network. Sadly I have no idea what this technology is called, or if it even has an official name, which is pretty poor considering my background.

edit: Here is a list of devices that may or may not be accurate:

Pretty poor, indeed. Consider your wrist slapped. ????
  • Reply 45 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by xPad View Post

This is for security, so that you can't just go into an airport or Starbucks and try to send malware to people nearby. Sure, most people will probably click "deny", but all it takes is one person every now and then to click "allow".

Security, nothing.

Originally Posted by patsu View Post

My guess is… …power saving..

AHHHHHHHH. That’s it. You’re absolutely right. Still upset about it, but now they have a reason. Thanks.

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

…no you should not be able to sneak files onto their machines.

Thanks for the strawman.

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Because unlike other companies, Apple takes your security and privacy very seriously, even if they need to inconvenience yo with a couple more clicks. I for one appreciate it. 

Often I take my security more seriously than Apple, it seems. :p

• Reply 46 of 50

Is there any reason none of the continuity features will work on my mac? I have Yosemite beta and iOS 8 on my iMac mid 2011 and my iPhone 5s.  For example, this is what my Airdrop looks like

Says nothing about iOS devices! And also Handoff will not work no matter what I try to do to try and get it to work. Any help is much appreciated

• Reply 47 of 50
    xpadxpad Posts: 46member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Security, nothing.

Often I take my security more seriously than Apple, it seems. :p

Wow, you've clearly flown the coop, and are speaking without understanding what you are talking about.

When Apple demonstrated AirDrop initially (back on OS X), they made a big point of security, and the fact that you have to be in AirDrop to even show up to another computer, and then have to explicitly accept any file transfers as a deliberate design choice to make it more secure.

This sort of thinking goes all throughout their software. They are very consistent in designing things so that people can just trust that they are secure by default and likely be correct.

• Reply 48 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by xPad View Post

Wow, you've clearly flown the coop, and are speaking without understanding what you are talking about.

Okay. Keep pretending that.

• Reply 49 of 50

Yeah I'm finding it doesn't work with my 2009 MBP...guess its my excuse to buy a new one ;) Shakes fist at sky! 

• Reply 50 of 50

is there an option for sharing music in Air Drop in iOS 8 or still Air Drop does only for images as in iOS7