Sony's $99 PlayStation TV set to battle Apple TV in U.S. and Canada this fall

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    I would never buy Sony products! They are cheaply made and just stop working after a year and Sony does nothing to help the consumer
  • Reply 22 of 72
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    I like the being able to pair with PS4, but I'll tell Sony this...you get the PS2 SOCOM games on there and I'll buy it just for that. Idiots refuse to render one of their games with the most rabid fans for some reason, to the point an entire new game company has started up just to bring back what games like SOCOM Combined Assault had.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    davendaven Posts: 696member

My guess is that Apple does indeed have gaming on the ATV in mind. I think that 'Metal' introduced at WWDC not only improves gaming graphics on iPhones and iPads but will be implemented on the Apple TV. Why not? Very similar hardware and operating system and I think you are actually pushing fewer pixels on the TV than you are on the iDevice.

• Reply 24 of 72
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    daven wrote: »
    My guess is that Apple does indeed have gaming on the ATV in mind. I think that 'Metal' introduced at WWDC not only improves gaming graphics on iPhones and iPads but will be implemented on the Apple TV. Why not? Very similar hardware and operating system and I think you are actually pushing fewer pixels on the TV than you are on the iDevice.

I thought the same thing. When they announce the ATV, and if it has gaming- I'll bet the developers hear about an easy port with their existing games.

Of course, even an Apple die-hard like me is starting to wonder when they are going to release something. I was eagerly anticipating something in spring of 2013, then planning on something fall of 2013, then expecting something spring 2014. I don't know what verb I want to use anymore. It's getting ridiculous.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Sony is much better than Samsung. At least they innovate.
  • Reply 26 of 72
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    Never. Never. Never.

I was one of the early adopters of the PS3, back when it cost $600. I really liked it for a while, but then they started having frequent mandatory software updates that won't allow you to continue to use it as before until you have downloaded and installed the update. It's incredibly annoying to get home from work and think you have just barely enough time to see a movie before going to sleep, only to find that Sony has made other plans for your evening, involving 20+ minutes of software updating. For a while, this seemed to be happening every 4-6 weeks, but the pace has slowed lately.

One of these updates added a bunch of advertisements for downloadable software to the home page, and there seems to be no way to get rid of them. If Apple installed a bunch of ads on the desktop of my MacBook Pro after I'd owned it for a few years, I'd be livid, too.

Also, the thing stopped working after 1 1/2 years, and cost $160 to fix.

So no, I wouldn't go near this thing with a ten-foot pole.
  • Reply 27 of 72
    jjarojjaro Posts: 29member
    cali wrote: »
    Sony is the Samsung of gaming

What?! Sony is the superior player this generation. How does that compare to Samsung?

EDIT: Haha just noticed my signature. Haven't update it in a little while I guess!
  • Reply 28 of 72
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

You need two components in order to make a comparison.

Why have you written this sentence?

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Sony is much better than Samsung. At least they innovate.

Is stealing every video game controller design you’ve ever made from Nintendo “innovating” now?

• Reply 29 of 72
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    retrogusto wrote: »
    Never. Never. Never.

I was one of the early adopters of the PS3, back when it cost $600. I really liked it for a while, but then they started having frequent mandatory software updates that won't allow you to continue to use it as before until you have downloaded and installed the update. It's incredibly annoying to get home from work and think you have just barely enough time to see a movie before going to sleep, only to find that Sony has made other plans for your evening, involving 20+ minutes of software updating. For a while, this seemed to be happening every 4-6 weeks, but the pace has slowed lately.

One of these updates added a bunch of advertisements for downloadable software to the home page, and there seems to be no way to get rid of them. If Apple installed a bunch of ads on the desktop of my MacBook Pro after I'd owned it for a few years, I'd be livid, too.

Also, the thing stopped working after 1 1/2 years, and cost $160 to fix.

So no, I wouldn't go near this thing with a ten-foot pole.
    Most of the problem (eg 20+ minutes of updating) is not unique to the Playstation 3,4, Xbox360,XBone,Wii, WiiU, or 3DS.

What makes a console viable is mean time before failure (MTBF) Microsoft did the console industry a lot of harm with the terrible build quality of the Xbox 360, I'm quite honestly surprised that anyone would buy the XBone in the first 3 years if at all. Sony doesn't have quite the record on hardware defects, however repeated (needless) firmware updates along side the mechanical hard drives in both the XBOX 360 and the PS3 are the most likely point of failure. In fact the XBOX 360 S (I was waiting for a redesign before buying) died, despite being OFF at the time. The hard drive failed. Great. No more save games. Because Microsoft doesn't allow off-the-shelf drives to be used I'm not willing to fork out money to replace the drive either. I bought the Wii U instead, even though the previous Wii and GameCube consoles work just fine. Even my slim PS2 works fine.

Cloud saving should be a standard (free) feature, since clearly consoles have become so much less reliable. Which leads me to my next point. American internet is utter rubbish compared to Japan's. This Playstation Now streaming thing is going to fall flat on it's face in the US because gamers are going to balk at paying several dollars an hour in overage costs to play a game that isn't even for the current generation console. (The average 1080i television broadcast is 15-24mbps(5GB/hr), the average pirate version with poor video quality is 5Mbps, and is still about 1GB/hr.)
  • Reply 30 of 72
    inteliusqinteliusq Posts: 111member

The Apple TV will virtually be an iPod set-top box that will directly download Apple TV apps, and you will be able to play games with the game controllers that uses Apple's game controller API's. The next Apple TV will be an evolution of the 1st generation Apple TV that had a hard drive; but will instead have a solid state drive to have the capacity to download and play large games directly from the console.

Apple TV is obviously a streaming platform; but what will be key is a Video Podcast subscription based model for content that is similar to their News Stand model. It will just be a matter of economics that works for both content providers and subscribers, where subscribers can subscribe to a channel package similar to Direct TV, and be able to stream local television programming directly; where Apple will be a platform that will be a legal form of Aereo; but in this case Apple will have a license with the Broadcast Networks to stream their channels directly to Apple.

With iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite, the integration of the Apple cloud ecosystem, the sharing of apps across 6 devices, the Apple TV will bring it all together beautifully in the living room. Apple is very active getting all of the licensing and AppTV UI SDK's into place, to make the Apple TV what it truly can be. When Steve Jobs said regarding TV that they cracked the code, I believe that everything that we are seeing now across the entire Apple platform and ecosystem, is the realization of what Steve said.

• Reply 31 of 72
    jjarojjaro Posts: 29member
    Well you're right about one thing, American internet is garbage compared to Japan. I live in Yokosuka, Japan, and have So-net Nuro. 2 Gb/s beauty. Of course, that's theoretical, and I've never gone over 600 Mb/s, but it's still incredible compared to the Cox cable I had in San Diego.
  • Reply 32 of 72
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why have you written this sentence?

Probably because you don't seen to understand it.  Apple has no significant play in the console space.  When they announce something, then you can compare it to Sony's offering.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is stealing every video game controller design you’ve ever made from Nintendo “innovating” now?

Sony do a lot more than make controllers, just like Apple do a lot more than make crappy headphones.  Why are you attempting to put a slur on Sony?  Just because they aren't Apple?  Steve Jobs was a big admirer of Sony.

• Reply 33 of 72
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Probably because you don't seen to understand it.  Apple has no significant play in the console space.  When they announce something, then you can compare it to Sony's offering.

Still waiting for this to have relevance.

Sony do a lot more than make controllers

Never said otherwise.

…just like Apple do a lot more than make crappy headphones.

Did Apple steal its headphone designs from someone?

Why are you attempting to put a slur on Sony? 

I’m attempting nothing. I’m telling truth.

Steve Jobs was a big admirer of Sony.  

Good for him. I’m not.

• Reply 34 of 72
    I'm a big metal gear fan and if this the only way to play mgs1 I'll consider it I didn't hear that the now service for only for ps3 . Sucks to need now service to play mgs4 then possibly this for mgs1 might just have to keep my ps3 up and running . I don't see how it could be a threat to Apple TV I use airplay a lot and would possibly buy this for gaming two very separate things .
  • Reply 35 of 72
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member

What controller design of Nintendo did Sony steal?
  • Reply 36 of 72
    Quote:

Still waiting for this to have relevance.

Your

Quote:

Never said otherwise.

posting

Quote:

style

Quote:

I’m attempting nothing. I’m telling truth.

is

Quote:

Good for him. I’m not.

annoying

• Reply 37 of 72
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

People will buy it just to relive the old PS1 games. The Apple TV with games hasn't come to market, PSTV has been released in a minimal fashion so it is already outselling a product that may not exist. The longer that Apple leave it the worse it'll be. Personally I'll get the new Apple TV but will certainly consider the PSTV when it finally gets here depending on reviews.

I'm not sure it makes sense slagging off Sony just because they copied the button placement of the Nintendo system. Ergonomics is ergonomics. The design really is obvious. The same way that on a phone, the speaker is at 1 end and the microphone at the other. Did Apple copy Nokia just because the microphone is at the bottom of the phone and not something you slip in your shoe?

• Reply 38 of 72
    Quote:

Apart from being white I didn't see much originality in the original iPod headphones.

Can't be bothered to break down the rest of your post to tedious effect.  Sony have a product, Apple don't.  You calling Sony's product garbage on the basis that Apple will (despite no announcement, or even substantive rumour) release something better is like a parody of fanboyism.

• Reply 39 of 72
    Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

What controller design of Nintendo did Sony steal?

Everything since the 2nd revision of the original Playstation controller, if memory serves.

Your posting style is annoying

Good for you.

Sony have a product, Apple don't.

Been in a coma since ’07?

• Reply 40 of 72
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Everything since the 2nd revision of the original Playstation controller, if memory serves.

I didn't ask which of Sony's controller was a copy. I asked which of Nintendo's controllers was copied.