Sony's $99 PlayStation TV set to battle Apple TV in U.S. and Canada this fall

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Been in a coma since ’07?

I'm with him here TS- so are you saying the iPhone is a competitor to the $99 Playstation TV?
    The OP to your comment takes the same stand as me. It's obnoxious to hear about a new competitor to go against an unreleased apple product. I mean- Apple TV doesn't do gaming outside of airplay- clearly an apples-apples comparison is PS TV vs Amazon. Apple TV isn't even a factor. And until apple releases their next iteration- it will only be a factor if gaming is a big topic for them.
    FYI- Apple TV is in a league of its own- not saying anything about sales or which is better, just saying that comparing a gaming streamer to the Apple TV isn't a fair comparison- and to compare a gaming streamer to an unreleased product that doesn't exist is borderline insane.
  • Reply 42 of 72
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

I didn't ask which of Sony's controller was a copy. I asked which of Nintendo's controllers was copied.

• Reply 43 of 72
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I thought the same thing. When they announce the ATV, and if it has gaming- I'll bet the developers hear about an easy port with their existing games.

Of course, even an Apple die-hard like me is starting to wonder when they are going to release something. I was eagerly anticipating something in spring of 2013, then planning on something fall of 2013, then expecting something spring 2014. I don't know what verb I want to use anymore. It's getting ridiculous.

'Insanity' doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. I feel the same way. My guess is that Apple wanted the Apple TV to have an exclusive access to TV content but in the end the media owners held firm and that isn't going to happen. Now what do you do to differentiate your TV product from others? Fallback to making it a decent video gaming console with lots of inexpensive video games. Not as differentiated as an exclusive TV product and one others have somewhat of a claim to from what I understand, but appealing enough to sell.

• Reply 44 of 72

I'm confused, is it the apple tv that is garbage or are you calling the Playstation tv that? i don't think apple has any vast library of any type of console game. I'm a owner of almost every apple product except the iphone5 that in my opinion is garbage. apple since Steve apples been doing nothing but pushing products out before they are ready in the field. I'm very excited about REPLACING my apple tv with a Playstation tv. I'm just sick and tired when i buy a apple product anymore because it appears that in a few months there another one due out (WTH) like iPhone 5, WHY?

before your 2tr. contracts up 12mths. later guess what iPhone 6 is here thats BS.... the same with apple tv 1, 2, then 3 now 4 is due ? keep it.

Playstation? bring it on! it WILL run apple in the dirt. thanks for you time. :) 

• Reply 45 of 72
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    ytseman3 wrote: »
    everyone cries specs, I say give me great games not specs. I'm an old school gamer (Atari 2600), and those old blocky games had better and more satisfying play than alot of the current games with movie like graphics. Ok, let the flames begin. :)

Agree 100%

Tempest when you're really baked? :-D
  • Reply 46 of 72
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    inteliusq wrote: »
    [SIZE=14px]The Apple TV will virtually be an iPod set-top box that will directly download Apple TV apps, and you will be able to play games with the game controllers that uses Apple's game controller API's. The next Apple TV will be an evolution of the 1st generation Apple TV that had a hard drive; but will instead have a solid state drive to have the capacity to download and play large games directly from the console.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]Apple TV is obviously a streaming platform; but what will be key is a Video Podcast subscription based model for content that is similar to their News Stand model. It will just be a matter of economics that works for both content providers and subscribers, where subscribers can subscribe to a channel package similar to Direct TV, and be able to stream local television programming directly; where Apple will be a platform that will be a legal form of Aereo; but in this case Apple will have a license with the Broadcast Networks to stream their channels directly to Apple.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]With iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite, the integration of the Apple cloud ecosystem, the sharing of apps across 6 devices, the Apple TV will bring it all together beautifully in the living room. Apple is very active getting all of the licensing and AppTV UI SDK's into place, to make the Apple TV what it truly can be. When Steve Jobs said regarding TV that they cracked the code, I believe that everything that we are seeing now across the entire Apple platform and ecosystem, is the realization of what Steve said.[/SIZE]

What's interesting is how the elimination of physical media, along with ITMS "family" licensing, has the potential to radically change gaming and game retailing.

Combined with Metal and faster ARM processors - this will be interesting to watch...
  • Reply 47 of 72
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    so basically the PSTV is the Sony gizmo that will add backwards-compatibility to play PS3, PSP, etc. games on the (can't-do-that) PS4 - for $100 extra. well that's good no doubt for all the folks with a lot of those games (i don't see a DVD drive, so i guess it's just their cloud download games). of course you could simply keep your PS3 plugged in for free ... but hey, it's a new gizmo! that's news!

but what this has to do, aside from the similarity in names and price, with the Apple TV escapes me. the PS3/4 both already host all the popular web streaming services ATV does, so the PSTV is not making any difference there. and for those very few who really are fully set up with an Xperia "ecosystem" of Sony hardware products they already offer a limited version of AirPlay.

sure there are always those rumors about a new Apple TV this year that will add console gaming capabilities to its current features - based on no hard evidence at all. as if Apple would become a fourth entry into that niche market with a me-too product.

forget it.

(well, maybe if Apple buys up the pieces - the game franchises basically - of Nintendo in a year or two after it goes under).

but No! we must have a "Battle" headline! Sony vs. Apple! PSTV vs. ATV! get those page hits!!

shame on AI.
  • Reply 48 of 72
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I don't think Nintendo will be able to stay afloat too many more years at least not in their current form. They may be forced to do what Sega did and simply make games for the Xbox and Playstation and mobile devices. I think if Apple bought Nintendo and transition their vast library of games to iOS and possibly even to OS X that could be a very bold move. I used to be a big gamer on my computer and game console but I like iOS games that allow me to play it only for a minute or two if I am busy or a longer time if I want. I can't even remember the last time I played a game on my computer now. When I stated a battle in Unreal Tournament 2004 which is probably my favorite game of all time (Onslaught especially) I knew I would be playing for a long time. With Clash of Clans I can log on and train troops, collect my cash, do an upgrade and log off again within 2 minutes. A raid on a rival also only takes just a few minutes. Clash of Clans would look great on my 70" TV if I have a good controller that makes controlling games fast and easy to do. 

• Reply 49 of 72
    retrogusto wrote: »
    Never. Never. Never.

I was one of the early adopters of the PS3, back when it cost $600. I really liked it for a while, but then they started having frequent mandatory software updates that won't allow you to continue to use it as before until you have downloaded and installed the update. It's incredibly annoying to get home from work and think you have just barely enough time to see a movie before going to sleep, only to find that Sony has made other plans for your evening, involving 20+ minutes of software updating. For a while, this seemed to be happening every 4-6 weeks, but the pace has slowed lately.

One of these updates added a bunch of advertisements for downloadable software to the home page, and there seems to be no way to get rid of them. If Apple installed a bunch of ads on the desktop of my MacBook Pro after I'd owned it for a few years, I'd be livid, too.

Also, the thing stopped working after 1 1/2 years, and cost $160 to fix.

So no, I wouldn't go near this thing with a ten-foot pole.

I had a similar experience although my Blu-Ray drive failed after the 3.x firmware update. Others had the same issue (check the Sony message boards), but Sony denied any defect, and the PS3 was out of warranty by then. At least Microsoft fixed the RRoD problems and extended everyone's warranties automatically.

If you ever do get the first-gen PS (anything) units, always get a 3-yr extended warranty. I don't trust Sony any further than I could throw them.

Eventually, some retailers (e.g., Fry's) started carrying inventory of refurbished PS3s. Where do you think those came from? ;)

And now Fry's carries an inventory of unsold refurbished first-gen PS VITAs, LOL. That should tell you something. It comes free with a ten foot pole.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I don't know what generation my PS3 is, I bought it around 3 or 4 years after they first were released. But I have had it now for at least 5 years if not longer and have not had a single issue with it. Yes the updates are annoying at times especially when I am excited to watch a new episode of House of cards or Orange is the new Black on Neflix, but I don't ever remember waiting more than around 5 or 10 minutes for the update to complete. 

• Reply 51 of 72
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Been in a coma since ’07?
    Apparently so.

Pray tell, what standalone living room gaming console did Apple release in 2007?
  • Reply 52 of 72
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    dacloo wrote: »
    Apple won't because they don't work that way. The new Apple TV is so much more than the device that serves the content. It is all about ecosystem and content, not CPU and features. Apple will have to step up and provide a new way of serving content or they'll miss the boat just like iTunes/Spotify.
    Spotify doesn't even approach iTunes in revenue they also don't have 800,000 customers with credit cards on their books.
  • Reply 53 of 72
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Spotify doesn't even approach iTunes in revenue they also don't have 800,000 customers with credit cards on their books.

And if Spotify ever did begin to approach even the same ballpark as iTunes, their rates would go up, advertising would infest everywhere, and it would die off.

You can't offer something as "good" as Spotify and have it become successful. They licensing agreements they have are only for the small numbers they produce.

• Reply 54 of 72
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I don't think Nintendo will be able to stay afloat too many more years at least not in their current form. They may be forced to do what Sega did and simply make games for the Xbox and Playstation and mobile devices. 

Once again you show a complete disconnect from reality.

I think if Apple bought Nintendo and transition their vast library of games to iOS and possibly even to OS X that could be a very bold move.

I think that even if Apple invested in Nintendo to bring their library of games to iOS/OS X without an outright purchase (which Nintendo would never accept anyway), it would be a very bold move, and I support it wholeheartedly.

I used to be a big gamer on my computer and game console but I like iOS games that allow me to play it only for a minute or two if I am busy or a longer time if I want.

You highlight quite a valid point here, and the thought of even just Nintendo’s handheld library on iOS devices to fill the demand of this shifting demographic is something I think both sides should consider.

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Pray tell, what standalone living room gaming console did Apple release in 2007?

I was unaware we were talking about anything even remotely close to that.

• Reply 55 of 72
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    So Sony is ready to disrupt it's own market (PS4) to pursue Apple's hobby?

Good for consumers. I'm interested.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    Seems more like it's going after the Amazon set-top game box. I assume people buy Apple TVs because they are into the Apple ecosystem. This has no answer to that.

You basically posted what I was thinking. It makes sense that AI would call it competition for AppleTV, but this sounds more like a response to the release of Amazon FireTV, so-called smart TVs with built in game capabilities (usually some kind of embedded Android OS), and $99 micro consoles like OUYA. AppleTV's gaming is currently powered by an iOS device, and its not the primary reason to buy one.
  • Reply 57 of 72
    gwmac wrote: »
    I don't know what generation my PS3 is, I bought it around 3 or 4 years after they first were released. But I have had it now for at least 5 years if not longer and have not had a single issue with it. Yes the updates are annoying at times especially when I am excited to watch a new episode of House of cards or Orange is the new Black on Neflix, but I don't ever remember waiting more than around 5 or 10 minutes for the update to complete. 

Lucky you.

Mine was first gen PS3 with the original revision motherboard: it still had the PS2's Emotion Engine chips in it. They later ditched that and finally came out with slimmer versions. I got a slim model later and it runs cooler, quieter, and more reliably than my first-gen launch unit, which is now non-functioning and out of warranty.
  • Reply 58 of 72
    I was unaware we were talking about anything even remotely close to that.
    Then I guess it's you that's in the coma. Learn to follow a conversation.
  • Reply 59 of 72
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Learn to follow a conversation.

Nah. Explain how this device “takes aim” at set top boxes instead. That seems ambiguous at best; it’s just a conduit for the PS4.

• Reply 60 of 72
    What? I never claimed it had any such aim. It's use as a set top box is at most secondary, it's a gaming device. Competition with the Apple TV is more a coincidence of form factor and a few incidental services than any kind of concerted effort to "battle" it.