Sony's $99 PlayStation TV set to battle Apple TV in U.S. and Canada this fall

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    rasimorasimo Posts: 61member
    I plugged my old PS2 into my 55" TV, and it looks pretty bad... I wonder if they rewrote the old games for HD?

Edit- I would get this thing if I could play Cyberball 2042 for psp on my tv though. :)
  • Reply 62 of 72
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Lucky you.

Mine was first gen PS3 with the original revision motherboard: it still had the PS2's Emotion Engine chips in it. They later ditched that and finally came out with slimmer versions. I got a slim model later and it runs cooler, quieter, and more reliably than my first-gen launch unit, which is now non-functioning and out of warranty.

well i got the lower-price 40G PS3 when it was released a year later at the end of 2007. still works fine. got a few favorite games, but not at all a "gamer."

for watching Netflix, i prefer it to my Apple TV because its on-screen UI is nicer and its candybar remote control is easier to use than the awful ATV remote. but its real advantage for me is Vudu, which ATV does not offer. that's the one streaming service with as many 3D movies for rent as Hollywood will allow to be shown on our snazzy 3D televisions. (obsviously they want to force us to pay $10+ each at an IMax instead.)

otherwise the ATV with AirPlay is the way to go.

• Reply 63 of 72
    VUDU has been great in my experience on the ps3. There's an app for it as well. It was nice to scan my DVD's/blurays and have them in HD in the cloud for a nominal fee. At the very least, I wish apple would allow ultraviolet syncing to iTunes. That would be great for everyone.

I'm intrigued by the PSTV but aside from gaming, i don't think it will touch the Apple TV in features. Sony's music service is beyond pathetic. They could possibly add amazons cloud player but that has major issues as well like gapless playback, inability to change cover art, no grouping of compilation artists to name a few.

I do hope with the next Apple TV upgrade that they support 120hz TV's with motion flow. VUDU on the ps3 does a beautiful job of it but the current Apple TV doesn't support it. Real bummer because I absolutely love watching movies that way.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And then Apple releases the 4th gen Apple TV and makes this look like the garbage it is.

LOL...4th generation ATV with full iOS, larger internal storage or expandable storage and some motion control sensors will eat this Sony Stream Box and others alive. And that will make the $35 Chrome Cast look like a piece of sht.

• Reply 65 of 72
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    And then Apple releases the 4th gen Apple TV and makes this look like the garbage it is.

Will the next Apple TV slow me to stream games from the PS4?
  • Reply 66 of 72
    r00fus wrote: »
    So Sony is ready to disrupt it's own market (PS4) to pursue Apple's hobby?

Good for consumers. I'm interested.

Based on what you and others have written, I'm not sure you actually understand what this device is.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    I had a similar experience although my Blu-Ray drive failed after the 3.x firmware update. Others had the same issue (check the Sony message boards), but Sony denied any defect, and the PS3 was out of warranty by then. At least Microsoft fixed the RRoD problems and extended everyone's warranties automatically.

If you ever do get the first-gen PS (anything) units, always get a 3-yr extended warranty. I don't trust Sony any further than I could throw them.

I have a first Gen Ps3, plus a second Gen one, first then vita, Ps4. Have had no issues with any of them, they update fine each time, and have had tones of functionality added over the years. It's not good that you have had issues but don't assume everyone has
  • Reply 68 of 72
    jfanning wrote: »
    I have a first Gen Ps3, plus a second Gen one, first then vita, Ps4. Have had no issues with any of them, they update fine each time, and have had tones of functionality added over the years. It's not good that you have had issues but don't assume everyone has

Your first-gen PS3 sample size is as large as mine: one. Don't tell me your experience with that is a more accurate barometer of Sony's quality than mine. Enjoy your unbroken Sony products, but don't piss on people who weren't as lucky as you.
  • Reply 69 of 72
    Your first-gen PS3 sample size is as large as mine: one. Don't tell me your experience with that is a more accurate barometer of Sony's quality than mine. Enjoy your unbroken Sony products, but don't piss on people who weren't as lucky as you.

I have two PS3's.

But while we are at it, two of my four macs have failed, does that mean Apple has a 50% failure rate and we can just rubbish them?
  • Reply 70 of 72
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

But while we are at it, two of my four macs have failed, does that mean Apple has a 50% failure rate and we can just rubbish them?

Welcome to the internet.

• Reply 71 of 72
    argonnaargonna Posts: 1member
    I'm really interested in this, i just ordered one from amazon http://amzn.to/1v2v40x can't wait! thanks
  • Reply 72 of 72
    jfanning wrote: »
    I have two PS3's.

The dvd drive on both my macs failed so I think we can say that macs have a 100% failure rate on dvd drives. Good job the Apple TV doesn't have one and must be the real reason Apple started removing drives from their products.