Project management 'failure' behind absence of Apple Maps updates at WWDC - report

Comments

• Reply 101 of 123
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    I can never get to iMaps from within a website only google maps.
  • Reply 102 of 123
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

Looking forward Google will continue to have the superior product (they own the satellites), as the next big leap in mapping will be live data. 

Citation needed for the Google ownership of satellites.

AFAIK Google gets its satellite data from third party providers.

As for real time satellite data, satellites can't be everywhere at the same time. They can only capture real time images of where they are currently located and only during daylight.

• Reply 103 of 123
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    RIP Steve Jobs. He would have fired the bozos responsible.
  • Reply 104 of 123
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

AFAIK Google gets its satellite data from third party providers.

As for real time satellite data, satellites can't be everywhere at the same time. They can only capture real time images of where they are currently located and only during daylight.

Here's a citation,   http://tech-beta.slashdot.org/story/14/02/12/219243/google-earths-new-satellites

Yes Google does purchase 3rd party sat imagery, but I'm fairly certain that at one time Google owned a fair chunk of DigiGlobe.  They were/are one of their largest customers.

Agreed, presently live satellite feeds are only in the realm of the NSA, but in the future there will be live, high resolution photogrammetry.    If I had to guess it would be within the next 20 years or so. 

• Reply 105 of 123
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

I can never get to iMaps from within a website only google maps.

By linking directly to Google Maps anyone can follow the links. If they coded the links to open Apple Maps specifically, they  wouldn't work for anyone using a non-Apple device. Can't complain about this situation until Apple opens up a web version of Apple Maps.

• Reply 106 of 123
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    But as soon as the iPhone was announced they did switch gears to go after the iPhone.
    What does "go after the iPhone" mean? Destroy the market for the iPhone or create an OS that could allow other companies to expand and compete with it? If the latter it's hardly an act of war. On the contrary Google benefits from Apple's success, making nearly every one of their features available to iPhones as well.

If one of the two is trying to push the other one out of mobile that would be Apple not Google IMHO. Google would happily share the market segment while I believe Apple would would be quite happy if every other company was pushed out. Apple doesn't benefit directly from any other company's success and wouldn't mind seeing everyone else go belly-up. Google is only successful when Apple, HTC, LG, Sony and mobile players like them are successful.
  • Reply 107 of 123
    solipsismx wrote: »
    freediverx wrote: »
    You can't fly around a city and view buildings seamlessly from any angle using Google.

If you're just focused on finding a street address that's fine, but Apple Maps let you do more than that. Whatever functionality is missing now will come later.

I look at Apple Maps now like I looked at the first iPhone. It was missing a ton of stuff but the unique things it delivered were way ahead of everyone else. What started as a crappy 2 megapixel camera is now one of the best and most used consumer cameras in the country. Give them some time.

I don't use any map app for sightseeing. They are just tools to locating a path or specific location information which is why I see FlyOver as a gimmicky feature. If I want to go sightseeing I'll charter a helicopter not play with my Maps app.

Charter a helicopter at a cost of however many thousands of dollars versus free with Fyover.

What a spoilt generation we are today.
  • Reply 108 of 123

Mapping has a lot more to do with data gathering, organization, storage and access (both on and offline) than it has to do with software features. The Mapping software is relatively easy to develop but if your data is not great to begin with, no amount of software design will help. For example, Flyover renders beautiful 3D maps. They are the best 3D city maps I have ever seen. However if you want directions to a particular store in an outdoor mall, Maps will leave you at the entrance to the parking lot and force you to drive around looking or asking for directions. The way you make an exceptional mapping app is to either hire or buy feet on the ground. Google did this with their streetview cars. Apple needs to get serious about gathering real data from the world. This could be done by leveraging the phones everyone carries around to a small degree but mostly they need to do something like Streetview where they drive data gathering vehicles around. This is expensive but if you want to compete with Google you have to do the types of data gathering that Google does. When Google's self driving cars start to report back what they see as they drive around they will have centimeter accurate 3D maps of every street in the world. When Google's Project Loon takes off, not only will its balloons provide free wireless access to the internet to the entire world, they will record real time images of the Earth below them. This is what the mapping of 2020 looks like.

• Reply 109 of 123
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gatorguy wrote: »

If one of the two is trying to push the other one out of mobile that would be Apple not Google IMHO. Google would happily share the market segment while I believe Apple would would be quite happy if every other company was pushed out. Apple doesn't benefit directly from any other company's success and wouldn't mind seeing everyone else go belly-up. Google is only successful when Apple, HTC, LG, Sony and mobile players like them are successful.

I forgot that Google is the knight in shining armor, protecting our right to choose as long as it's a Google service.
  • Reply 110 of 123
    jungmark wrote: »
    I forgot that Google is the knight in shining armor, protecting our right to choose as long as it's a Google service.

Things are only black and white to you? Not attacking Apple is hardly claiming Google to be a knight in shining armor. :rolleyes: Reductio ad absurdum. . .
  • Reply 111 of 123
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

The term "haters" (used in the above context) is one of the most unhelpful words ever invented.

Haters gonna hate!

:smokey:

• Reply 112 of 123
    mstone wrote: »
    http://www.skyboximaging.com/blog/skybox-imaging-google ;)

Pretty recent tho. . . like in the past hour. Earlier in the year Google acquired Titan Aerospace whose tech may also contribute to Google Maps as well as a couple of other endeavours.
  • Reply 113 of 123
    Things are only black and white to you? Not attacking Apple is hardly claiming Google to be a knight in shining armor. :rolleyes: Reductio ad absurdum. . .

Not black and white. If Google didn't care about market share, why even bother with Android to begin with. They could sell ads on all the platforms and behave decently for a change. Why are they offering free services if they could play ball in the ad games.

Apple couldn't care less about the low end market so they have conceded it to those willing to play at that end.
  • Reply 114 of 123
    Not black and white. If Google didn't care about market share, why even bother with Android to begin with. They could sell ads on all the platforms and behave decently for a change. Why are they offering free services if they could play ball in the ad games.

Apple couldn't care less about the low end market so they have conceded it to those willing to play at that end.

Why are you bringing up market share, and without even defining what market you're talking about? As for why Google would offer free services that's simple common business sense IMHO. If you really can't figure it out tho I'll take a stab at trying to explain it to you.
  • Reply 115 of 123
    http://www.skyboximaging.com/blog/skybox-imaging-google ;)

Pretty recent tho. . . like in the past hour. Earlier in the year Google acquired Titan Aerospace whose tech may also contribute to Google Maps as well as a couple of other endeavours.

I didn't realize that Skybox operates the only commercially available satellite imaging service that can supply high-definition live video from space.
    http://www.firstimagery.skybox.com/hd-video/2013/12/27/fcykjzxwrczyepoj3qeiydg4h06uko
  • Reply 116 of 123
    Why are you bringing up market share, and without even defining what market you're talking about? As for why Google would offer free services that's simple common business sense IMHO. If you really can't figure it out tho I'll take a stab at trying to explain it to you.

You brought it up saying Apple wants to force the other guys out of mobile.

Let's see Google has "simple common business sense" and Apple is a bully.
  • Reply 117 of 123
    You brought it up saying Apple wants to force the other guys out of mobile.

Let's see Google has "simple common business sense" and Apple is a bully.

Actually I said Apple would probably be happy if all the other players were pushed out of mobile, not that Apple was actively trying to push them out. Why would you construe that as being a bully? With Google and Apple specifically it's two different businesses that depend on different models for their success. Google wants to work with everyone and on every platform. Apple does not, as least so far.

• Reply 118 of 123
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I can think of a few ways they could leapfrog street view. Last thing Apple should do is copy Google out of a lack of inspiration. Apple's job is to show people something they DIDN'T know they wanted until you showed it to them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

If that was a valid business philosophy then Google would still be just a search engine (and nothing more) and Apple would have never made notebooks, phones, music players etc. Just stuck with their desktop

I only have a certificate in GIS (Geographical Information Systems). Mapping accurately is hard, especially when your data comes from multiple sources.

There is not a right or wrong to all of this. I only wished that Apple had waited to come out with something a little better.

Maps was fine when Apple built the interface on top of Google Maps.

I wish Apple

• Reply 119 of 123
    Actually I said Apple would probably be happy if all the other players were pushed out of mobile, not that Apple was actively trying to push them out. Why would you construe that as being a bully? With Google and Apple specifically it's two different businesses that depend on different models for their success. Google wants to work with everyone and on every platform. Apple does not, as least so far.
    Well that's Apple's "simple common business sense".
  • Reply 120 of 123
    Well that's Apple's "simple common business sense".

Yes it is. So what exactly have I actually said in this thread that you disagree with? Seems there really isn't anything as far as I can tell.